Render and animate OctaMed songs in batch processing

Render and animate OctaMed songs in batch processing

Henning Thielemann

Decades ago I arranged more than 200 songs using MED/OctaMED/OctaMED
Studio on various Amigas. In the meantime I converted them all to MMD1 and
MMD2 format. I wanted to render them to audio files (e.g. WAV) for use on
CDs or MP3 players. I could render the MMD1 files without problems using
UADE, however UADE refuses to render MMD2 (with mixer mode). XMP seems to
play some MMD2 modules, but not all of them (maybe has to do with mixer
mode). Radium seems to accept only MMD2 and not MMD1, but when playing
there is only silence (whereas demo songs make noise, so no Jack problem).
Is there a player that processes all OctaMED module formats? Or at least
all MMD2 files, because I can still fall back to UADE for MMD1? Preferably
a command-line player/renderer, because there are so many modules.

Next step: I want to create music videos from the playing modules for
upload, say, to YouTube. I am certainly not patient enough to perform all
songs in OctaMED in an Amiga emulator (FS-UAE) and record the performances
using a screen grabber (like ffmpeg -f x11grab). If playing in Radium
would work, I could check whether it is possible to control Radium and
screen grabbing from a shell script. However, I think I prefer a
command-line tool that renders a simple animation of the rolling blocks
into a video file for any song. Does something like this already exist? If
not, what would be the closest point to start programming something like
this myself? Would it be reasonable to try to hook in some of the tracker
module playing frameworks like UADE?

Re: Render and animate OctaMed songs in batch processing

Kjetil Matheussen-2
Henning Thielemann:

Decades ago I arranged more than 200 songs using MED/OctaMED/OctaMED
Studio on various Amigas. In the meantime I converted them all to MMD1 and
MMD2 format. I wanted to render them to audio files (e.g. WAV) for use on
CDs or MP3 players. I could render the MMD1 files without problems using
UADE, however UADE refuses to render MMD2 (with mixer mode). XMP seems to
play some MMD2 modules, but not all of them (maybe has to do with mixer
mode).

Radium seems to accept only MMD2 and not MMD1, but when playing
there is only silence (whereas demo songs make noise, so no Jack problem).

That makes sense. Radium only import MIDI instruments from MMD2 and MMD3
songs. I made Radium to replace Octamed, so I needed to import
my MMD2/MMD3 songs, which only contained MIDI.

Next step: I want to create music videos from the playing modules for
upload, say, to YouTube. I am certainly not patient enough to perform all
songs in OctaMED in an Amiga emulator (FS-UAE) and record the performances
using a screen grabber (like ffmpeg -f x11grab).

I guess you could create a script and let it run over night. Something like this:

1. Modify S/startup-sequence to load and play the next module.
2. Start a program that monitors the audio output of uae. When uae
stops producing sound, the script shuts down uae.
3. Goto 1.

If playing in Radium
would work, I could check whether it is possible to control Radium and
screen grabbing from a shell script.

I've used obsproject.com to create the youtube radium videos. It
performed far better than everything else I tried. Almost no
problems recording glitch-free 1900x1080@60hz on my ~10 year old computer.
It's probably possible to script it somehow too.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> That makes sense. Radium only import MIDI instruments from MMD2 and MMD3
> songs. I made Radium to replace Octamed, so I needed to import
> my MMD2/MMD3 songs, which only contained MIDI.

I see. But import from SoundTracker includes samples, right? (I think
SoundTracker never had MIDI.)

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Henning Thielemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

That makes sense. Radium only import MIDI instruments from MMD2 and MMD3
songs. I made Radium to replace Octamed, so I needed to import
my MMD2/MMD3 songs, which only contained MIDI.

I see. But import from SoundTracker includes samples, right? (I think SoundTracker never had MIDI.)

Yes, importing soundtracker modules should be pretty much complete.
It was implemented 15 years later.
Also, Radium didn't have sample support when the MMD importer was made.

Re: Render and animate OctaMed songs in batch processing

Henning Thielemann

Using old Haskell code by Claude Heiland-Allen I was able to generate
videos for my MED and OctaMED songs from the Amiga:
   https://hackage.haskell.org/package/med-module

The package provides two executables:
   unmed2: convert MMD files to text representation
   animed: convert MMD files to tracker animations in PostScript
     See the Makefile for how to turn this into a video.
     Perfectly timed, no frame drop-out.
     No video compression artifacts thanks to FlashScreenVideo codec.
     No need for a screengrabber.
     No need for a fast machine for screengrabbing -
        although rendering with ghostscript needs unexpectedly much time.
     However, animation is pretty simplistic.

I have no binary package, so far. You have to build it using a Haskell
compiler, like so:

   $ sudo apt-get install ghc cabal-install
   $ mkdir med
   $ cd med
   $ cabal sandbox init
   $ cabal update
   $ cabal install med-module -fbuildExamples
   $ sudo install .cabal-sandbox/bin/* /usr/local/bin/

You can watch and listen to the songs here:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkiGi6Y-Lso&list=PL724571620EC414BC&index=73