Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

smithbone (Bugzilla)
After several frustrating weeks  playing with my Audiophile USB I'mgoing to punt and get something else.
For the archives:  ALSA users interested in high-end capture should_not_ buy this device.(FWIW it sucks in windows too)
- Its only a USB 1.1 device and 24bit 96k is half-duplex only.- Its (almost) S24_3BE so you have to use plughw or jackd has to bepatched to use it.  I say  almost because the few times I did get thecard to record something I had to reorder the byte data to get it notto sound like white noise.- As of ALSA 1.0.10 capture is broken.
So I'm looking for a replacement.  I bought this card because it had areally good recording specs (I just missed the half-duplex part) and Idont' need a pro-multi channel since all I'm tyring to do is recordLPs to CD.
Can someone recommend a 24bit 96kHz full-duplex card that they thinkhas good enough recording specs for LP's that not going to cause me topull all my hair out trying to work with ALSA.
--Richard A. Smith

Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

Brett McCoy
Richard Smith wrote:

> After several frustrating weeks  playing with my Audiophile USB
> I'mgoing to punt and get something else. For the archives:  ALSA
> users interested in high-end capture should_not_ buy this
> device.(FWIW it sucks in windows too) - Its only a USB 1.1 device and
> 24bit 96k is half-duplex only.- Its (almost) S24_3BE so you have to
> use plughw or jackd has to bepatched to use it.  I say  almost
> because the few times I did get thecard to record something I had to
> reorder the byte data to get it notto sound like white noise.- As of
> ALSA 1.0.10 capture is broken. So I'm looking for a replacement.  I
> bought this card because it had areally good recording specs (I just
> missed the half-duplex part) and Idont' need a pro-multi channel
> since all I'm tyring to do is recordLPs to CD. Can someone recommend
> a 24bit 96kHz full-duplex card that they thinkhas good enough
> recording specs for LP's that not going to cause me topull all my
> hair out trying to work with ALSA. --Richard A. Smith

How about the M-Audio 2496 card? It's a PCI card, works right out of the
box with ALSA and is reasonably priced ($99). And it's full duplex,
zero-latency monitoring, digital I/O as well as analog RCA I/O

-- Brett

Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

Loki Davison
On 12/9/05, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Smith wrote:
>
> > After several frustrating weeks  playing with my Audiophile USB
> > I'mgoing to punt and get something else. For the archives:  ALSA
> > users interested in high-end capture should_not_ buy this
> > device.(FWIW it sucks in windows too) - Its only a USB 1.1 device and
> > 24bit 96k is half-duplex only.- Its (almost) S24_3BE so you have to
> > use plughw or jackd has to bepatched to use it.  I say  almost
> > because the few times I did get thecard to record something I had to
> > reorder the byte data to get it notto sound like white noise.- As of
> > ALSA 1.0.10 capture is broken. So I'm looking for a replacement.  I
> > bought this card because it had areally good recording specs (I just
> > missed the half-duplex part) and Idont' need a pro-multi channel
> > since all I'm tyring to do is recordLPs to CD. Can someone recommend
> > a 24bit 96kHz full-duplex card that they thinkhas good enough
> > recording specs for LP's that not going to cause me topull all my
> > hair out trying to work with ALSA. --Richard A. Smith
>
> How about the M-Audio 2496 card? It's a PCI card, works right out of the
> box with ALSA and is reasonably priced ($99). And it's full duplex,
> zero-latency monitoring, digital I/O as well as analog RCA I/O
>
> -- Brett

I record vinyl (new) on a very regular basis with my griffin imic.
Cheap usb gear if that's what you need. only 24 / 48k though. Sounds
good to me though.  I use ortofon needles and run the turntables
through my ecler mixer. All round sound quality is very good.

Loki

Re: Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

smithbone (Bugzilla)
 > I record vinyl (new) on a very regular basis with my griffin imic.> Cheap usb gear if that's what you need. only 24 / 48k though. Sounds> good to me though.  I use ortofon needles and run the turntables> through my ecler mixer. All round sound quality is very good.
I'm taking a break from USB soundcards.  *grin*.
I purchased an Audiophile 2496.  Even though my first M-Audio productexperience sucked. There's loads of stuff about success's with the2496 and it's recording specs were almost just a good as theaudiophile USB.  Newegg had them for $89 bucks.
Thank's for the info.  Looks like I need to get an ortofon needle formy new Stanton turntable.  You are the 2nd person to call them out.
--Richard A. Smith

On 12/10/05, Richard Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > I record vinyl (new) on a very regular basis with my griffin imic.> Cheap
> usb gear if that's what you need. only 24 / 48k though. Sounds> good to me
> though.  I use ortofon needles and run the turntables> through my ecler
> mixer. All round sound quality is very good.
> I'm taking a break from USB soundcards.  *grin*.
> I purchased an Audiophile 2496.  Even though my first M-Audio
> productexperience sucked. There's loads of stuff about success's with
> the2496 and it's recording specs were almost just a good as theaudiophile
> USB.  Newegg had them for $89 bucks.
> Thank's for the info.  Looks like I need to get an ortofon needle formy new
> Stanton turntable.  You are the 2nd person to call them out.
> --Richard A. Smith

Stanton turntable? STR8-130 or whatever they are called, the one with
the spdif out? If so, don't use the spdif out. Use the normal phono
out a standard preamp. I'm assuming it would come with stanton needles
which, as somewhat of a generalisation, suck. If it's just for
recording get one of the cheaper eliptical ortofon needles. The om 5e
is nice and cheap. If you get into the concord range it's mostly about
djing stuff, i.e better tracking, more sturdy and the extra cash
doesn't always mean better sound quality. For djing stuff i'd
recommend the elektro (the white one).

Loki

Re: Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

smithbone (Bugzilla)
> Stanton turntable? STR8-130 or whatever they are called, the one with> the spdif out? If so, don't use the spdif out. Use the normal phono> out a standard preamp.
STR8-100.  It has spdif, line and phono.  I'm currently using the line.Very nice unit I can see why djers would like them.
Yep it has a stanton 505 on it.  Thanks for the needle suggestion. I'm assuming I need a cartridge rather than a stylus?  Guess I shouldcall the guy at the store and make sure I get what I need.  Gmailgives me needledoctor.com as a sponsored link and they show an OM 5ecartridge for $45.  Anyone have good or bad about needledoctor.com?
--Richard A. Smith

On 12/11/05, Richard Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Stanton turntable? STR8-130 or whatever they are called, the one with> the
> spdif out? If so, don't use the spdif out. Use the normal phono> out a
> standard preamp.
> STR8-100.  It has spdif, line and phono.  I'm currently using the line.Very
> nice unit I can see why djers would like them.
> > I'm assuming it would come with stanton needles> which, as somewhat of a
> generalisation, suck. If it's just for> recording get one of the cheaper
> eliptical ortofon needles. The om 5e> is nice and cheap.
> Yep it has a stanton 505 on it.  Thanks for the needle suggestion. I'm
> assuming I need a cartridge rather than a stylus?  Guess I shouldcall the
> guy at the store and make sure I get what I need.  Gmailgives me
> needledoctor.com as a sponsored link and they show an OM 5ecartridge for
> $45.  Anyone have good or bad about needledoctor.com?
> --Richard A. Smith

ahh, 505 and 500al sound are pretty horrible.
That om 5e cart is good and cheap for recording stuff. Yeah, you need
the whole thing rather than just the tip. When you have an ortofon
cart all the OM and concord tips can be interchanged.

Loki

Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

Thibault LE MEUR
Hi Richard,

I've purchased an audiophile USB and am really interrested in making it work under linux.

Can you give me details on "Its (almost) S24_3BE" and "I had to reorder the byte data to get it notto sound like white noise".

Can you explain me What you did exactly ?

Thank you in advance,
Thibault.