Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Francesco Ariis
Hello linux-audio users,

    I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
using it under linux. When I connect the device via usb, dmesg tells me
this:

[   68.100184] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[   73.700119] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[   73.860157] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0582, idProduct=010d
[   73.860162] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[   73.860165] usb 3-1: Product: A-500S
[   73.860169] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: ROLAND
[   73.867172] snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.0 failed with error -5

And this is the relevant portion of lsusb -v:

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0582:010d Roland Corp. A-500S
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol       255
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0582 Roland Corp.
  idProduct          0x010d A-500S
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              150mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      3
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0

I am running debian stable (8) and my machine is a lenovo thinkpad
x60s, any help appreciated!
-F
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Francesco Ariis
On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> Hello linux-audio users,
>
>     I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
> using it under linux. [...]

I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.

The switch is on the left side of the keyboard, I suspect this 'trick'
holds true for many A-xyz Roland keyboard.

I'll add a few more words to make this pop up on search engines:
my Roland a-500 (a-500s, a-800pro) keyboard was not recognised, but I
solved the problem.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

David Jones
On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>> Hello linux-audio users,
>>
>>     I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
>> using it under linux. [...]
>
> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>
> The switch is on the left side of the keyboard, I suspect this 'trick'
> holds true for many A-xyz Roland keyboard.
>
> I'll add a few more words to make this pop up on search engines:
> my Roland a-500 (a-500s, a-800pro) keyboard was not recognised, but I
> solved the problem.

That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a synonym
for "Proprietary"?

--
David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Francesco Ariis
On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:34:37PM -1000, david wrote:

> On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> >On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> >>Hello linux-audio users,
> >>
> >>    I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
> >>using it under linux. [...]
> >
> >I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
> >an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>
> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a synonym for
> "Proprietary"?

Most likely! They promise less latency with advanced-mode on, but I
didn't notice any playing with "normal mode".

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Len Ovens
In reply to this post by David Jones
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:

> On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> Hello linux-audio users,
>>>
>>>     I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
>>> using it under linux. [...]
>>
>> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
>> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>>
>> The switch is on the left side of the keyboard, I suspect this 'trick'
>> holds true for many A-xyz Roland keyboard.
>>
>> I'll add a few more words to make this pop up on search engines:
>> my Roland a-500 (a-500s, a-800pro) keyboard was not recognised, but I
>> solved the problem.
>
> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a synonym for
> "Proprietary"?
From the manual:
  "This mode utilizes the A-500S’s special, advanced MIDI driver.
  This advanced driver uses *FPT technology for rapid, high-performance
  MIDI transmissions."

Standard driver:
  "This mode uses the standard MIDI driver included with
  the OS. Use this if you do not have the special driver
  installed. This setting can be used only when running Windows XP."

The manual does not claim this is Roland technology or that it is licenced
from someone else. Looking up FPT USB MIDI on the web does only return
Roland/Cakewalk pages for as long as I looked.

I did find that this is the advanced mode in the Roland UM-ONE which I
used to have (it is on loan right now) as well. I remember trying that
MIDI interface in Linux with both modes and MIDI seemed to work just fine
either way.... However, I would also point out that the speed was limited
to real MIDI speeds in any case so it may have been a compatablity mode in
case there was a Roland kb plugged in as well, and not the full advanced
mode. Who knows... (maybe my switch was broken too)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

David Jones
On 01/28/2017 01:11 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>
>> On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>>> Hello linux-audio users,
>>>>
>>>>     I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have
>>>> problems
>>>> using it under linux. [...]
>>>
>>> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
>>> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>>>
>>> The switch is on the left side of the keyboard, I suspect this 'trick'
>>> holds true for many A-xyz Roland keyboard.
>>>
>>> I'll add a few more words to make this pop up on search engines:
>>> my Roland a-500 (a-500s, a-800pro) keyboard was not recognised, but I
>>> solved the problem.
>>
>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a
>> synonym for "Proprietary"?
>
>> From the manual:
>     "This mode utilizes the A-500S’s special, advanced MIDI driver.
>     This advanced driver uses *FPT technology for rapid, high-performance
>     MIDI transmissions."
>
> Standard driver:
>     "This mode uses the standard MIDI driver included with
>     the OS. Use this if you do not have the special driver
>     installed. This setting can be used only when running Windows XP."
>
> The manual does not claim this is Roland technology or that it is
> licenced from someone else. Looking up FPT USB MIDI on the web does only
> return Roland/Cakewalk pages for as long as I looked.

Sounds a bit proprietary to me. Even if a technology isn't patented or
otherwise legally restricted - if no one else uses it, it's effectively
proprietary.

> I did find that this is the advanced mode in the Roland UM-ONE which I
> used to have (it is on loan right now) as well. I remember trying that
> MIDI interface in Linux with both modes and MIDI seemed to work just
> fine either way.... However, I would also point out that the speed was
> limited to real MIDI speeds in any case so it may have been a
> compatablity mode in case there was a Roland kb plugged in as well, and
> not the full advanced mode. Who knows... (maybe my switch was broken too)

That's possible. Never underestimate the power of hardware to break!

Haven't most modern/current MIDI devices switched to USB? If so, do the
old MIDI hardware transmission speed limits still apply?

--
David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

David Jones
In reply to this post by Francesco Ariis
On 01/28/2017 01:07 PM, Francesco Ariis wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:34:37PM -1000, david wrote:
>> On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>>> Hello linux-audio users,
>>>>
>>>>    I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
>>>> using it under linux. [...]
>>>
>>> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
>>> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>>
>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a synonym for
>> "Proprietary"?
>
> Most likely! They promise less latency with advanced-mode on, but I
> didn't notice any playing with "normal mode".

My MIDI setup is too simple for me to notice any MIDI latency: one MIDI
keyboard in via a simple MIDI->USB adaptor. No other hardware MIDI
devices. Everything else is software.

--
David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Len Ovens
In reply to this post by David Jones
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:

> On 01/28/2017 01:11 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>>
>>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a
>>> synonym for "Proprietary"?
>>
>> The manual does not claim this is Roland technology or that it is
>> licenced from someone else. Looking up FPT USB MIDI on the web does only
>> return Roland/Cakewalk pages for as long as I looked.
>
> Sounds a bit proprietary to me. Even if a technology isn't patented or
> otherwise legally restricted - if no one else uses it, it's effectively
> proprietary.

I agree, in general if I driver is needed for both Windows and MacOS, I
concider it proprietary.

> Haven't most modern/current MIDI devices switched to USB? If so, do the
> old MIDI hardware transmission speed limits still apply?

It depends... Some just take the base midi and add a USB chip in which
case there is no speed improvement. Beyond that, I don't know. Even USB1.1
is certainly able to go faster.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

David Jones
On 01/28/2017 01:41 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>
>> On 01/28/2017 01:11 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>>>
>>>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a
>>>> synonym for "Proprietary"?
>>>
>>> The manual does not claim this is Roland technology or that it is
>>> licenced from someone else. Looking up FPT USB MIDI on the web does only
>>> return Roland/Cakewalk pages for as long as I looked.
>>
>> Sounds a bit proprietary to me. Even if a technology isn't patented or
>> otherwise legally restricted - if no one else uses it, it's
>> effectively proprietary.
>
> I agree, in general if I driver is needed for both Windows and MacOS, I
> concider it proprietary.
>
>> Haven't most modern/current MIDI devices switched to USB? If so, do
>> the old MIDI hardware transmission speed limits still apply?
>
> It depends... Some just take the base midi and add a USB chip in which
> case there is no speed improvement. Beyond that, I don't know. Even
> USB1.1 is certainly able to go faster.

So I wonder. Is there some sort of upper speed limit in the MIDI
standard? Is the MIDI standard smart enough to negotiate speeds if
various MIDI devices differ? Or was the MIDI standard strict in saying
that your device must operate at this official speed?

--
David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Ralf Mardorf
In reply to this post by David Jones
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:23:07 -1000, david wrote:
>My MIDI setup is too simple for me to notice any MIDI latency: one
>MIDI keyboard in via a simple MIDI->USB adaptor. No other hardware
>MIDI devices. Everything else is software.

The issue starts, if you expect to record and play MIDI with the same
timing quality you record an instrument by an audio track. IOW if
you don't quantise. It's also an issue if you quantise, but need perfect
sync, using external MIDI gear.

Linux DAW MIDI out ---------------------> External sampler HiHat MIDI in

External drum sampler HiHat audio out --> Linux DAW audio in

Record two audio tracks with the HiHat, not at the same time, but one
after the other. You'll hear audible jitter, if you play both audio
tracks in unison.

If you do the same with an Atari ST MIDI sequencer, SMPTE and a 4-track
tape deck or a C64 MIDI sequencer, click sync and a 4-track tape
deck, there's no audible jitter at all.

The speed of MIDI interfaces is only an issue, if you use one interface
for 16 MIDI channels, when using 4 individual interfaces for 16 MIDI
channels, you already could send short SysEx data quasi in real-time,
without experiencing issues. For modern computers jitter is an issue
and for old computers the sequencer's ticks-per-quarter-note is an
issue. Actually old sequencers with not enough ticks-per-quarter-note
are better, since the amount of jitter for modern computers renders the
more ticks-per-quarter-note useless.

Record a MIDI keyboard by an audio track and a MIDI track at the same
time with as much ticks-per-quarter-note as possible, don't quantise
the MIDI events, then play the MIDI and the audio track in unison. If
you hear a difference, it's jitter, not the speed limit of MIDI.

Regards,
Ralf
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Ralf Mardorf
In reply to this post by David Jones
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:55:40 -1000, david wrote:
>So I wonder. Is there some sort of upper speed limit in the MIDI
>standard? Is the MIDI standard smart enough to negotiate speeds if
>various MIDI devices differ? Or was the MIDI standard strict in saying
>that your device must operate at this official speed?

You are aware that MIDI data simply is send and received without a time
stamp and without any sync. The software checks if an ACIA/UART
register reports that a byte was received by a short machine language
endless loop. The endless loop is only interrupted by a branch, if a
byte was received, to read the byte and then to continue the endless
loop. On old computers such as the C64 a lot of MIDI operations were
done by even disabling IRQs. The 65xx chips have a command to disable
timer and break command/flag IRQs, named SEI. One MIDI interface must
use the same rate on both ends, the receiver and transmitter, but if
you use different interfaces you could ignore the MIDI standard and
chose any other rate, as long as sender and receiver chose the same
rate. IOW one interface could not communicate with several MIDI
interfaces using different rates.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Ralf Mardorf
In reply to this post by David Jones
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:14:07 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:55:40 -1000, david wrote:
>>So I wonder. Is there some sort of upper speed limit in the MIDI
>>standard? Is the MIDI standard smart enough to negotiate speeds if
>>various MIDI devices differ? Or was the MIDI standard strict in
>>saying that your device must operate at this official speed?  
>
>You are aware that MIDI data simply is send and received without a time
>stamp and without any sync. The software checks if an ACIA/UART
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ English isn't my native language, this
           phrase might not be that good, but it anyway is to the point.

>register reports that a byte was received by a short machine language
>endless loop. The endless loop is only interrupted by a branch, if a
>byte was received, to read the byte and then to continue the endless
>loop. On old computers such as the C64 a lot of MIDI operations were
>done by even disabling IRQs. The 65xx chips have a command to disable
>timer and break command/flag IRQs, named SEI. One MIDI interface must
>use the same rate on both ends, the receiver and transmitter, but if
>you use different interfaces you could ignore the MIDI standard and
>chose any other rate, as long as sender and receiver chose the same
>rate. IOW one interface could not communicate with several MIDI
>interfaces using different rates.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Clemens Ladisch
In reply to this post by Len Ovens
Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>> On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
>>> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>>
>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a synonym for "Proprietary"?
>
> From the manual:
>     "This mode utilizes the A-500S’s special, advanced MIDI driver.

Please note that this is about the _driver_.  The switch just makes
the device report itself as "proprietary" so that the standard Windows
driver does not attach to it; the actual protocol is the same.

>     This advanced driver uses *FPT technology for rapid, high-performance
>     MIDI transmissions."

"FPT" is marketing-speak for "the driver can send more than one MIDI
event in one USB packet, and can pipeline multiple USB packets".  This
is just what any proper USB driver should do (and what the Windows XP
driver did not; I've heard they've rewritten it in Windows 10 or so).

> However, I would also point out that the speed was limited to real
> MIDI speeds

USB MIDI can be as fast as the driver and the device can send and accept
packets.  The microcontroller in my SC-8820 can eat up MIDI data at
about three times the normal MIDI speed, but when there is a real MIDI
port involved, it is not possible to go faster.


Regards,
Clemens
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

David Jones
In reply to this post by Francesco Ariis
On Jan 28, 2017 22:20, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:14:07 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:55:40 -1000, david wrote:
> >>So I wonder. Is there some sort of upper speed limit in the MIDI
> >>standard? Is the MIDI standard smart enough to negotiate speeds if
> >>various MIDI devices differ? Or was the MIDI standard strict in
> >>saying that your device must operate at this official speed? 
> >
> >You are aware that MIDI data simply is send and received without a time
> >stamp and without any sync. The software checks if an ACIA/UART
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ English isn't my native language, this
>            phrase might not be that good, but it anyway is to the point.
>
> >register reports that a byte was received by a short machine language
> >endless loop. The endless loop is only interrupted by a branch, if a
> >byte was received, to read the byte and then to continue the endless
> >loop. On old computers such as the C64 a lot of MIDI operations were
> >done by even disabling IRQs. The 65xx chips have a command to disable
> >timer and break command/flag IRQs, named SEI. One MIDI interface must
> >use the same rate on both ends, the receiver and transmitter, but if
> >you use different interfaces you could ignore the MIDI standard and
> >chose any other rate, as long as sender and receiver chose the same
> >rate. IOW one interface could not communicate with several MIDI
> >interfaces using different rates.

Sorry, all I know about MIDI is how to connect cables, channels, program banks, patch sets. I have a vague idea that old-style MIDI cables had a max data rate comparable to telephone line modems.

Used to program on a C64. I wrote a Mandelbrot set generator in 6510 assembler. Had to turn off interrupts to get processing time down to many many hours vs the days it took in BASIC.

Fun times.

David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Clemens Ladisch
In reply to this post by David Jones
david wrote:
> Is there some sort of upper speed limit in the MIDI standard? Is the
> MIDI standard smart enough to negotiate speeds if various MIDI devices
> differ? Or was the MIDI standard strict in saying that your device
> must operate at this official speed?

<https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/the-midi-1-0-specification>:
| The hardware MIDI interface operates at 31.25 (+/- 1%) Kbaud,
| asynchronous, with a start bit, 8 data bits (D0 to D7), and a stop
| bit. This makes a total of 10 bits for a period of 320 microseconds
| per serial byte.

USB MIDI does not specify any limit.  However, the protocol implicitly
throttles when the device takes longer to accept a new packet; this
happens automatically when the device's buffer is full.

FireWire MIDI has no synchronization mechanism, so the sender must take
care to avoid sending the data faster than the receiver can handle it.
RP-027 says:
| The encapsulation function block of a transmitter that does not
| implement a negotiation procedure shall use a maximum rate of one
| LABEL 81H quadlet every 320 microseconds per MPX-MIDI Data Channel.
| [...]
| NOTE: a future extension of this specification will define a negotiation
| procedure between transmitters and receivers and will allow the use of
| LABEL 82H and 83H quadlets.  These capabilities will allow transmission
| of MIDI data at rates substantially faster than the MIDI 1.0 data rate.
| However, the current version of this specification limits the use of
| these capabilities in order to avoid interoperability problems with
| other MIDI devices.  Higher speed modes (e.g. MIDI1.0–2X–SPEED and
| MIDI1.0–3X–SPEED) are described solely so that devices compliant with
| the current specification will be able to interoperate with devices
| compliant with a future extension of this specification.


Regards,
Clemens
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Clemens Ladisch
In reply to this post by Francesco Ariis
Francesco Ariis wrote:
>     I recently acquired a roland a-500s midi keyboard and I have problems
> using it under linux. When I connect the device via usb, dmesg tells me
> this:
>
> [   73.700119] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
> [   73.860165] usb 3-1: Product: A-500S
> [   73.860169] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: ROLAND
> [   73.867172] snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.0 failed with error -5

When in "Advanced Mode", most newer devices tell the driver in the
descriptors how many MIDI ports they have; for older devices, the driver
just has to know.

Please show the "lsusb -v" output for this device in standard mode.


Regards,
Clemens
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Ralf Mardorf
In reply to this post by David Jones
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 23:31:21 -1000, David Jones wrote:
>Used to program on a C64. I wrote a Mandelbrot set generator in 6510
>assembler. Had to turn off interrupts to get processing time down to
>many many hours vs the days it took in BASIC.
>
>Fun times.

That is the issue with those old computers. The advantage was direct
access to hardware registers by the bus, but as soon as the
capabilities of the computers were involved, slow CPU and less
direct accessible RAM, the issues for those machines started. For MIDI
this means no noticeable MIDI jitter, because no layers were involved to
access the hardware and no real multitasking was involved, but they
only could operate with a very limited ticks-per-quarter-note
resolution, because the computer had limits to process the data. The
C64 so to say quantised MIDI events even with quantisation disabled.
Using SysEx in combination with other MIDI events was impossible.

"64k is enough for anyone"
http://dustlayer.com/c64-architecture/2013/4/13/ram-under-rom

Btw. it's not taken for granted that modern computers, when only using
software synth, IOW no external MIDI gear, are able to provide good
sync, when recording them. On Linux it works perfect to record an audio
track of a synth that is separated from the DAW. E.g. recording
Yoshimi with Ardour, Qtractor etc. everything is in sync. On my iPad
everything is in sync, as long as e.g. MusicStudio plays e.g. Animoog,
but as soon as I record Animoog using Audiobus, the MusicStudio Tracks
and the recorded Animog track gets out of sync. That's more annoying
than crosstalk and drop outs of sync tracks on analog tape machines was.
I spend significant less time with working around issues in the old
days, than I need to waste time to work around issues nowadays.

Perhaps iOS could benefit from Jack a lot, but Jack doesn't run anymore
on iOS and apart from this, more or less no app ever supported it.
There are different alternative available to Audiobus, but they all
seem to be less reliable than what we get with Linux, OTOH a lot of
proprietary apps provide what we don't get for Linux.

I haven't used a Mac PC for more than a decade and wonder if an AIO DAW
nowadays works without issues, for what ever work-flow and kind of music
we would use it. It does coast too much money and if Donald should makes
America great again, Apple unlikely will become less expensive ;). So
e.g. running Ardour on a Mac, to benefit from proprietary snyth on a
Mac is out of reach for me.

Regards,
Ralf
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Len Ovens
In reply to this post by Clemens Ladisch
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Len Ovens wrote:
>> However, I would also point out that the speed was limited to real
>> MIDI speeds
>
> USB MIDI can be as fast as the driver and the device can send and accept
> packets.  The microcontroller in my SC-8820 can eat up MIDI data at
> about three times the normal MIDI speed, but when there is a real MIDI
> port involved, it is not possible to go faster.

The case inpoint was my din midi to USB interface. The USB would not limit
the speed, but the din midi would :) In the case of the keyboard, I would
be surprised if Roland did not send USB midi faster than standard MIDI.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user