Rosegarden which Distro?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rosegarden which Distro?

John Whitmore
Hello all,

First post so obviously a newbie question. And this, I know, is a question
without answer, as it's a bit subjective. So what is the most convinient
distro to get started on.

I've previosuly been using an Ubuntu distro which worked up to a point, that
point being 'rosegarden'. I really wanted to play with rosegarden so I could
enter musical notation and list to the results. That was a step too far for
me. I could get qsynth installed and get it making a noise by connecting the
qjack keyboard to it in qjackctl, but rosegarden would never play a note. Just
could not get it connected up and happy. QJackCtl is fairly straight forward
if you have things to interconnect. If there's nothing to connect to when you
start up rosegarden you're kinda not going anywhere.

So that was Ubuntu, but this laptop, which I've just returned to is running
OpenSUSE Leap 15.1, which don't have, or doesn't appear to have, a low latency
kernel option. That might mean a return to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, or other. In
most cases Ubuntu would be the easy way to start but I've already been down
that road and rosegarden just never showed up in QJackCtl.

I should say that the specific multi media distros seem to have fallen a bit
behind so they don't look like an option. So perhaps later in the week
Tumbleweed with GNOME and try to get a note, just a single note.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rosegarden which Distro?

Lorenzo Sutton
Hi John,

On 10/11/19 18:00, John Whitmore wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First post so obviously a newbie question. And this, I know, is a question
> without answer, as it's a bit subjective. So what is the most convinient
> distro to get started on.

[...]
>
> I've previosuly been using an Ubuntu distro which worked up to a point, that
> point being 'rosegarden'. I really wanted to play with rosegarden so I could
> enter musical notation and list to the results. That was a step too far for
> me.

As you say this is really subjective, but I'm quite happy since a while
with Manjaro which is an Arch spin-off. Audio-wise it has realtime
kernel packaged out of the box as well as most common audio applications.

Final thought, although not distro related, for your use case I'd grab a
'gernal midi' soundfont (for instance the FluidR3_GM one - also packaged
as 'soundfont-fluid' - and connect rosegarden to it vie either
fluidsynth (command line), or qsynth (fluiidsynth frontend), or one of
the fluidsynth plugins.

For example if I need to quickly sketch something (and am not too bother
by quality). I fire up qjacktrl, start rosegarden and then have a script
ready like this:

fluidsynth -j -l /path/to/FluidR3_GM.sf2 -o synth.polyphony=512

Of course this could be even further automated with a script launching,
jack, then rosegarden, then fluidsynth :)

Hope this helps,
Lorenzo.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rosegarden which Distro?

David W. Jones


On November 10, 2019 10:26:22 AM HST, Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>On 10/11/19 18:00, John Whitmore wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> First post so obviously a newbie question. And this, I know, is a
>question
>> without answer, as it's a bit subjective. So what is the most
>convinient
>> distro to get started on.
>
>[...]
>>
>> I've previosuly been using an Ubuntu distro which worked up to a
>point, that
>> point being 'rosegarden'. I really wanted to play with rosegarden so
>I could
>> enter musical notation and list to the results. That was a step too
>far for
>> me.
>
>As you say this is really subjective, but I'm quite happy since a while
>with Manjaro which is an Arch spin-off. Audio-wise it has realtime
>kernel packaged out of the box as well as most common audio
>applications.

I have Rosegarden making sounds just fine on Debian Testing and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I added the KXStudio repositories to both. I use Cadence for managing JACK and audio connections. I used QJackQTL for a long while but Cadence is more powerful and seems to incorporate PulseAudio better.

>Final thought, although not distro related, for your use case I'd grab
>a
>'gernal midi' soundfont (for instance the FluidR3_GM one - also
>packaged as 'soundfont-fluid' - and connect rosegarden to it vie either
>fluidsynth (command line), or qsynth (fluiidsynth frontend), or one of
>the fluidsynth plugins.
>
>For example if I need to quickly sketch something (and am not too
>bother by quality). I fire up qjacktrl, start rosegarden and then have a
>script ready like this:
>
>fluidsynth -j -l /path/to/FluidR3_GM.sf2 -o synth.polyphony=512
>
>Of course this could be even further automated with a script launching,
>
>jack, then rosegarden, then fluidsynth :)

Yes, FluidR3 soundfont with fluidsynth is good.

I usully use a fluidsynth DSSI plugin with Rosegarden. Makes things easier for me.

I also have an external Yamaha keyboard set up and connected all the time. It's part of my Rosegarden default studio so I forget it's there. So sometimes I'll start composing something in RG and hit Play, then go, "Where's that coming from?" then go, "Oh, yeah."


---
David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user