Quantcast

[Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
Hey there,
I just uploaded a small photo studio tour. It's not much. But I had a nice
lady over yesterday, who enthusiastically took a few pix. She's in web design
and wondered if I had a gallery online and thus helped getting it started. She
isn't responsible for the actual - nonexistent - layout:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/studio_tour.html

Enjoy and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Will Godfrey
On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 22:55:53 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
> I just uploaded a small photo studio tour. It's not much. But I had a nice
> lady over yesterday, who enthusiastically took a few pix. She's in web design
> and wondered if I had a gallery online and thus helped getting it started. She
> isn't responsible for the actual - nonexistent - layout:
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/studio_tour.html
>
> Enjoy and feel free to comment or ask questions.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

I've often wondered about your setup but didn't like to ask. This is great. All
considered, it's quite compact - mine is a sprawling mess :o

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk
Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
Apr 30 2017, Will Godfrey has written:
...
> I've often wondered about your setup but didn't like to ask. This is great. All
> considered, it's quite compact - mine is a sprawling mess :o
...
:) Sometimes necessity is a great thing. :)

TTFN,

Jeanny

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
In reply to this post by Jeanette C.
Apr 30 2017, Ben Bell has written:
...
> Really interesting :) And particularly the selection of instruments.
It's a very effective selection: one FM/PM synth, a wavetable, a hybrid
analogue, a pure analogue, the Clav and two sample based instruments,
where the Korg is mostly useful as a 76 keyboard with good action. Next
thing on the list, since forever, is a drum machine, analogue or again
hybrid. The Tempest would be lovely, but the UI is a little awkward if
you can't see. I've been ogling another pure analogue one though, which
has the advantage of being a little less expensive, if less rich in
features, but superb in sound. :)
...
Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Dan Hitt
In reply to this post by Jeanette C.
Thanks Jeanette!

It was very nice of you to show your actual gear.

I didn't see anything for recording sound (did see something about
recording midi), but maybe i'm just too clueless with audio equipment.

How do you record?

TIA for any info!

dan

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Jeanette C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
> I just uploaded a small photo studio tour. It's not much. But I had a nice
> lady over yesterday, who enthusiastically took a few pix. She's in web
> design and wondered if I had a gallery online and thus helped getting it
> started. She isn't responsible for the actual - nonexistent - layout:
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/studio_tour.html
>
> Enjoy and feel free to comment or ask questions.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
> When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-audio-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
May 1 2017, Dan Hitt has written:
...
> I didn't see anything for recording sound (did see something about
> recording midi), but maybe i'm just too clueless with audio equipment.
>
> How do you record?
...
Hi Dan,
glad you liked it. Mostly I record my synths, they go directly into my
soundcards. I've got two M-Audio Delta 1010LTs, which are multitrack
recording cards with 8 analogue ins and 8 analogue outs each. There is a
microphone, but that was out of shot. Currently, I rarely use it for musical
purposes.

My DAW is Nama, a text-based digital audio workstation.

Thanks for your interest.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

avlinux
In reply to this post by Jeanette C.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing, so that's where the magic happens!? :). Always interesting to see and learn about peoples studio setups and yours is of course very inspiring and unique. Hope you get your other keys back soon.

Glen


----- Original Message -----
From:
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]>

To:
"Linux-audio-users' mailinglist" <[hidden email]>
Cc:

Sent:
Sun, 30 Apr 2017 22:55:53 +0200 (CEST)
Subject:
[LAU] [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online


Hey there,
I just uploaded a small photo studio tour. It's not much. But I had a nice
lady over yesterday, who enthusiastically took a few pix. She's in web design
and wondered if I had a gallery online and thus helped getting it started. She
isn't responsible for the actual - nonexistent - layout:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/studio_tour.html

Enjoy and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Ralf Mardorf
On Mon, 01 May 2017 08:18:46 -0700, Glen MacArthur wrote:
>Alwaysinteresting to see and learn about peoples studio setups and
>yours is of course very inspiring and unique. Hope you get your other
>keys back soon.

Unique?

The only thing unusual IMO is that the display is between user and
keyboard and not behind the keyboard, apart from this it looks like a
setup as most musicians do use. Sure, some have a larger, while other
have a smaller room, so speakers as well as gear sometimes is better
and sometimes less good placed, but the basic concept usually is the
same. At least I've never have seen a different setup, resp. the missing
mixing console is a little bit unique, most musicians have a mixing
console, but it not necessarily is used ;).

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Access to all language versions of Wikipedia was blocked in Turkey on
29 April 2017." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_censorship_of_Wikipedia#Turkey
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Mon, 1 May 2017 17:34:28 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 01 May 2017 08:18:46 -0700, Glen MacArthur wrote:
> >Alwaysinteresting to see and learn about peoples studio setups and
> >yours is of course very inspiring and unique. Hope you get your other
> >keys back soon.
>
> Unique?

> The only thing unusual IMO is that the display is between user and
> keyboard and not behind the keyboard, apart from this it looks like a
> setup as most musicians do use.

Indeed.  The single most striking thing that caught the eye immediately
is the absence of a computer monitor.  The monitor being in most
small setups the center piece.

This said, what Jeanette is doing is incredible.  Please post more
music ! :)
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf
May 1 2017, Ralf Mardorf has written:
...
resp. the missing
> mixing console is a little bit unique,
...
I have a feeling that most people recommend a mixing desk, but going
directy into the computer is very convenient and saves space. :) Yea, I
do lack a nice hardware channel strip, but a nice one would cost me. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
In reply to this post by jonetsu@teksavvy.com
May 1 2017, jonetsu has written:
...
> This said, what Jeanette is doing is incredible.  Please post more
> music ! :)
...
Thank you Glen and Jonetsu.
@Jonetsu: this goes down very well. I'm working on it, but always get
distracted with other things. :) I lack some discipline. Working on it
though... :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Len Ovens
In reply to this post by Jeanette C.
On Tue, 2 May 2017, Jeanette C. wrote:

> May 1 2017, Ralf Mardorf has written:
> ...
> resp. the missing
>> mixing console is a little bit unique,
> ...
> I have a feeling that most people recommend a mixing desk, but going
> directy into the computer is very convenient and saves space. :) Yea, I
> do lack a nice hardware channel strip, but a nice one would cost me. :)

I have a mixer in my "Studio". Really, it comes from days gone by when I
had a Fostex R8 tape machine. I still use it for the mic preamps (though
they are not up to my ribbon mic) and monitoring. I would be better off
with buying new preamps as I need them... I have one stereo pre now and
for most of my work that is double what I need. It may be nice to have
lots of inputs and never have to change wiring, but more inputs to the
computer means more work for the computer to do that could be used for
doing other things. For this use (mostly high-ish level signals in) and
monitoring computer plus one input at a time... the Audio interface's
mixer is as much as needed.

I would say this studio is a good study in putting money to good use. Only
buying what is needed to get the job done. How many other studios (even
keyboard based like this) can say they have a clav?

If I was starting over... a mixer would be much farther down the list.


--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Joe Hartley
On Tue, 2 May 2017 07:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2017, Jeanette C. wrote:
>
> > May 1 2017, Ralf Mardorf has written:
> > ...
> > resp. the missing
> >> mixing console is a little bit unique,
> > ...
> > I have a feeling that most people recommend a mixing desk, but going
> > directy into the computer is very convenient and saves space. :) Yea, I
> > do lack a nice hardware channel strip, but a nice one would cost me. :)
>
> I have a mixer in my "Studio". Really, it comes from days gone by when I
> had a Fostex R8 tape machine. I still use it for the mic preamps
     [ snip ]
>
> If I was starting over... a mixer would be much farther down the list.

I've only recently removed the mixer from my primary workstation.  For the
most part, it's been replaced by a Mackie passive Big Knob - a big volume
knob between my Delta 1010's outputs and my powered monitors.  I've
always preferred hardware volume controls, as there'd be times something
would happen, like using a plugin that unexpectedly ups the gain by a
zillion dB, causing a horrific howl.  Rather than fumble with the mouse
and look for a control, I want the big knob or fader that I can pull down
NOW to make the bad noise stop.

Right now I'll do overdubbing at that station with a little ART preamp,
but I'm considering getting one nice preamp for the small rack that as the
1010 I/O unit and a patchbay.

--
======================================================================
       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - [hidden email]
 Without deviation from the norm, "progress" is not possible. - FZappa
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Len Ovens
On Tue, 2 May 2017, Joe Hartley wrote:

> Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 May 2017, Jeanette C. wrote:
>>
>>> May 1 2017, Ralf Mardorf has written:
>>> ...
>>> resp. the missing
>>>> mixing console is a little bit unique,
>>> ...
>>> I have a feeling that most people recommend a mixing desk, but going
>>> directy into the computer is very convenient and saves space. :) Yea, I
>>> do lack a nice hardware channel strip, but a nice one would cost me. :)
>>
>> I have a mixer in my "Studio". Really, it comes from days gone by when I
>> had a Fostex R8 tape machine. I still use it for the mic preamps
>     [ snip ]
>>
>> If I was starting over... a mixer would be much farther down the list.
>
> I've only recently removed the mixer from my primary workstation.  For the
> most part, it's been replaced by a Mackie passive Big Knob - a big volume
> knob between my Delta 1010's outputs and my powered monitors.  I've
> always preferred hardware volume controls, as there'd be times something
> would happen, like using a plugin that unexpectedly ups the gain by a
> zillion dB, causing a horrific howl.  Rather than fumble with the mouse
> and look for a control, I want the big knob or fader that I can pull down
> NOW to make the bad noise stop.

Physical controls are nice for sure. I would put a control surface higher
up the list than a mixer. Easy access to a hard wired Mute or Dim switch
or level control is a good thing to have. I prefer not to reach for the
monitor amp's control as I set it with a SPL meter when working on a
project.

Ya, my main development projects are to do with control surfaces so my
feeling on this matter may be a little skewed :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
May 2 2017, Len Ovens has written:
...
> Physical controls are nice for sure. I would put a control surface higher up
> the list than a mixer.
...
I also love hardware surfaces, but for volume controls I've always
worked with software, at least when it came to recording. My Delta was
the first ever soundcard that worked in my Linux box. But when it comes
to synthesizers and sound design, I wouldn't want to live without a
good, rich control panel. I program all my synthesizers and after some -
unfounded fear - of the DX7, I even found that working with the
interface - instead of complaining about it or fearing it - gives great
results and more or less nice access, allowing a good deal of creativity
and experimentation.

Thanks to Will Godfrey, I haven been able use Yoshimi for a while now. I
can program it, but the real fun started, when MIDI learn was exposed to
me. That only goes to show that we love good control UIs for the most
important or interesting parts of our workflow. An interesting study,
really. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Crojav
Jeanette please tell me how that works?


Op 02-05-17 om 19:40 schreef Jeanette C.:
> but the real fun started, when MIDI learn was exposed to
> me.
>
>

Regards Crojav
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Diego Simak-2

2017-05-03 12:28 GMT-03:00 Crojav <[hidden email]>:
Jeanette please tell me how that works?


https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi/blob/master/doc/MIDI_Learn.txt

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Jeanette C.
In reply to this post by Crojav
May 3 2017, Crojav has written:

> Jeanette please tell me how that works?
...
I see that Diego has posted a link to the relevant Yoshimi docs. I only
know the commandline approach. Should you prefer the commandline
interface to the GUI, I can help. Otherwise, enjoy your MIDI learn. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Crojav
In reply to this post by Diego Simak-2

Jeanette

Thanks that is what i will make working when a have a external controler.


Op 03-05-17 om 17:32 schreef Diego Simak:

2017-05-03 12:28 GMT-03:00 Crojav <[hidden email]>:
Jeanette please tell me how that works?


https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi/blob/master/doc/MIDI_Learn.txt


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Crojav
In reply to this post by Jeanette C.
Jeanette

Thanks that is what i will make working when a have a external controler.


Op 03-05-17 om 18:09 schreef Jeanette C.:

> May 3 2017, Crojav has written:
>
>> Jeanette please tell me how that works?
> ...
> I see that Diego has posted a link to the relevant Yoshimi docs. I only
> know the commandline approach. Should you prefer the commandline
> interface to the GUI, I can help. Otherwise, enjoy your MIDI learn. :)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
> When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
12
Loading...