Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

Chris Cannam
I'm delighted to announce new releases (made last Friday) of Sonic Visualiser and two related desktop applications from the Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary, University of London:

Version 4.0 of Sonic Visualiser, a free, cross-platform, open source application for viewing and analysing the contents of music audio files, is now available. The main change in this release, and the reason for the major-version bump to 4.0, is the addition of a "boxes" layer used to annotate and export time-frequency regions. (Refer to https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/doc/reference/4.0/en/#boxes for a description of the boxes layer.) See the home page at http://sonicvisualiser.org for more information and downloads.

Version 2.1 of Tony, a free, cross-platform, open source application for high quality pitch and note transcription from solo vocal recordings, is now available. This is what you might call a "consolidation release" - it is almost unchanged from 2.0 in terms of features, but it is updated to fix some compatibility issues that have arisen since 2.0 came out and to prepare the codebase for a future feature release. See the home page at https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/tony/ for more information and downloads.

Version 1.0 of Sonic Lineup, a free, cross-platform, open source application for comparative simultaneous visualisation of multiple audio files containing versions of the same source material, is now available. See the home page at https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/sonic-lineup/ for more information and downloads.


Chris
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

Joe Hartley
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:59:57 +0000
"Chris Cannam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm delighted to announce new releases (made last Friday) of Sonic Visualiser and two related desktop applications from the Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary, University of London:

Chris, thanks for your work on this software, but also for mentioning
what the packages do.  I see lots of update announcements that forget that
part, and I'm left scratching my head.  "Fizzbin 2.5 is out?  What the heck
does that do?"  Then it's a bunch of Googling and clicking about until I
figure out that it's not useful to me at all.

I've used Sonic Visualizer quite a bit, but was unaware of Tony and Sonic
Lineup.  They might be quite handy, so thanks again!

--
======================================================================
       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - [hidden email]
 Without deviation from the norm, "progress" is not possible. - FZappa
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

bernard
In reply to this post by Chris Cannam
Thanks, Sony Visualizer is a great tool, and Tony and Sonic Lineup seem cool. This said I found annoying that the installer of Tony uninstalls jackd2 in order to install jackd1. Is there a way to bypass this ?

Cheers

Bernard
Le 30 octobre 2019 à 16:59, Chris Cannam < [hidden email]> a écrit :


I'm delighted to announce new releases (made last Friday) of Sonic Visualiser and two related desktop applications from the Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary, University of London:

Version 4.0 of Sonic Visualiser, a free, cross-platform, open source application for viewing and analysing the contents of music audio files, is now available. The main change in this release, and the reason for the major-version bump to 4.0, is the addition of a "boxes" layer used to annotate and export time-frequency regions. (Refer to https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/doc/reference/4.0/en/#boxes for a description of the boxes layer.) See the home page at http://sonicvisualiser.org for more information and downloads.

Version 2.1 of Tony, a free, cross-platform, open source application for high quality pitch and note transcription from solo vocal recordings, is now available. This is what you might call a "consolidation release" - it is almost unchanged from 2.0 in terms of features, but it is updated to fix some compatibility issues that have arisen since 2.0 came out and to prepare the codebase for a future feature release. See the home page at https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/tony/ for more information and downloads.

Version 1.0 of Sonic Lineup, a free, cross-platform, open source application for comparative simultaneous visualisation of multiple audio files containing versions of the same source material, is now available. See the home page at https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/sonic-lineup/ for more information and downloads.


Chris
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

Chris Cannam
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019, at 22:39, - - wrote:
>  
> I found annoying that the installer of Tony uninstalls jackd2 in order to install jackd1. Is there a way to bypass this ?

Ah... this is when installing the .deb file, right? That's an oversight on my part, I'm sorry - I had received a complaint about that already in earlier versions of Sonic Visualiser, and it looks as if I fixed it in the SV package but failed to carry it across to Tony.

It shouldn't actually have a dependency on JACK in the package at all. It can make use of JACK if you have it installed, but it doesn't need it.

I don't know offhand whether there's a convenient workaround I'm afraid, but I will at least make sure future point releases don't have this problem.


Chris
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

bernard
The annoying part is indeed if we use the .deb installer, for people
using kxstudio repositories, including Cadence, that was uninstalled
during the processus. But don't worry too much, Chris, it is easy to
repair and the workaround is to use the appimage, not a big deal.

Bernard


Le 31/10/2019 à 09:34, Chris Cannam a écrit :

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019, at 22:39, - - wrote:
>>  
>> I found annoying that the installer of Tony uninstalls jackd2 in order to install jackd1. Is there a way to bypass this ?
> Ah... this is when installing the .deb file, right? That's an oversight on my part, I'm sorry - I had received a complaint about that already in earlier versions of Sonic Visualiser, and it looks as if I fixed it in the SV package but failed to carry it across to Tony.
>
> It shouldn't actually have a dependency on JACK in the package at all. It can make use of JACK if you have it installed, but it doesn't need it.
>
> I don't know offhand whether there's a convenient workaround I'm afraid, but I will at least make sure future point releases don't have this problem.
>
>
> Chris
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-audio-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sonic Visualiser v4.0 released, along with Tony v2.1 and Sonic Lineup v1.0

David W. Jones
Please fix the .deb. I don't do appimages.

On October 30, 2019 11:09:25 PM HST, bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>The annoying part is indeed if we use the .deb installer, for people
>using kxstudio repositories, including Cadence, that was uninstalled
>during the processus. But don't worry too much, Chris, it is easy to
>repair and the workaround is to use the appimage, not a big deal.
>
>Bernard
>
>
>Le 31/10/2019 à 09:34, Chris Cannam a écrit :
>> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019, at 22:39, - - wrote:
>>>  
>>> I found annoying that the installer of Tony uninstalls jackd2 in
>order to install jackd1. Is there a way to bypass this ?
>> Ah... this is when installing the .deb file, right? That's an
>oversight on my part, I'm sorry - I had received a complaint about that
>already in earlier versions of Sonic Visualiser, and it looks as if I
>fixed it in the SV package but failed to carry it across to Tony.
>>
>> It shouldn't actually have a dependency on JACK in the package at
>all. It can make use of JACK if you have it installed, but it doesn't
>need it.
>>
>> I don't know offhand whether there's a convenient workaround I'm
>afraid, but I will at least make sure future point releases don't have
>this problem.
>>
>>
>> Chris



---
David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user