SynthfestUK 2019

Will J Godfrey
Oops, almost forgot this :o

I'm now quite well known by the Synthfest organisers and even had a pre-printed
badge this year :)

I had a hour to set up, but actually managed to get everything up and running
within half an hour, including a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Once set up, I had time for a quick look around the other stands. The balance
was more towards hardware rather than software this year, and I didn't see
*any* windows boxes at all. There was lots of modular stuff, kit form as well as
pre-built.

The big boys, Yamaha, Korg, etc. had their own individual rooms on the lower
floor, and the talks were held in a nearby annex. Unfortunately I wasn't able to
get away to see any of those - I think I need an assistant on the stand!

When the doors were opened, it became very busy indeed. Something like twice as
many visitors as last year, and more seriously interested rather than just
curious. I was kept pretty occupied the whole day. I had the pleasure of two
very good musicians playing on the laptop driven larger keyboard, one of which
decided the 64ft Organ sound was ideal for a quick rendition of Bach Toccata &
Fugue in Dm!

The Raspberry Pi, got a lot of interest, and outright astonishment from quite a
few people. There is a very good chance we'll get more users via this route.
The idea of this as a stand-alone synth 'module' seemed to catch on straight
away.

I had plenty of the flyers from last year and a good number of them were picked
up. I also had 40 laminated 'mini' banners with contact info on the reverse
side - I only brought three of these home!

The guy who got the big banner printed for us brought it with him, but his
train was delayed, and he was only able to get it to me mid morning. He'd been
told they'd actually printed two copies, but didn't realise they were both on
one sheet, and we didn't have the means to cut it in half. We quickly put it
up, but it's not quite how I intended - nevertheless it looks very good.

I love the way the person who produced the artwork came up with the expressions
on all the little robots :)

Photo here - quite good detail if you zoom in :)
www.musically.me.uk/Photos/Synthfest2019/Synthfest2019_12.jpg

Re: SynthfestUK 2019

Christopher Arndt
Am 20.10.19 um 20:48 schrieb Will Godfrey:
> The Raspberry Pi, got a lot of interest, and outright astonishment from quite a
> few people. There is a very good chance we'll get more users via this route.
> The idea of this as a stand-alone synth 'module' seemed to catch on straight
> away.

Is that the the gray thing that looks like a stomp-box with the three
switches and the joystick on the photo?

Do you have a description of this project? (e.g. what distro is it
running and how do you interact with it?)

Chris

0x1E0D97B33A4E1F31.asc (13K) Download Attachment

Re: SynthfestUK 2019

Will J Godfrey
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 21:01:14 +0200
Christopher Arndt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 20.10.19 um 20:48 schrieb Will Godfrey:
>> The Raspberry Pi, got a lot of interest, and outright astonishment from quite a
>> few people. There is a very good chance we'll get more users via this route.
>> The idea of this as a stand-alone synth 'module' seemed to catch on straight
>> away.
>
>Is that the the gray thing that looks like a stomp-box with the three
>switches and the joystick on the photo?

No that's my Arduino based Swis-army-knife midi controller :)

The Pi itself is uncased, and just about visible at the back of the desk the far
side of the speakers - to discourage stray fingers.

>Do you have a description of this project? (e.g. what distro is it
>running and how do you interact with it?)

It's a Pi 3B running a fairly minimal Rsapbian, and the setup for the show was
with a mid-range monitor, a small USB->stereo audio module, small keys midi
keyboard. The audio was sent to two inputs of the KA6 so it could be heard on
the same speakers as the larger setup.

For a couple of guys who were particularly interested, I also ran it headless
with the monitor switched off - perfectly practical but you do need to be able
to remember the shortcuts... or have a crib sheet :)

Currently, I have even better results running with the minmal Devuan
ASCII 2 with no GUI elements at all and only absolutely necessary services. It
definitely runs significantly better as a pure ALSA unit than with JACK. The
same audio adaptor can drive most headphones directly, so the only other thing
needed is a standard keyboard (no mouse or monitor).
... Oh, and a power supply.