The Bay of Atlantis

Louigi Verona
Announcing a new release of project "droning", tune 281 "The Bay of Atlantis".

Stream it here: https://louigi.bandcamp.com/album/281-the-bay-of-atlantis

Word from the author:

Extensive work went into this creation.

I wanted the tune to create a feeling that this is one solid composition, not a soundtrack with distinct segments, but something rather like an ocean which is in one instance is calm and in the other - furious. But still just one single ocean.

To all of you travelers out there, and to those of us who find visiting nonexistent places important.

Technical specs: Qtractor, Rakarrack, Carla, Kluppe, seq24 and a number of LV2 plugins. Zyn is used, although a number of sounds came from other sources.

Re: The Bay of Atlantis

Jeanette C.
Apr 23 2018, Louigi Verona has written:
> *Stream it here:* https://louigi.bandcamp.com/album/281-the-bay-of-atlantis
Hey hey Louigi,
I enjoyed this one very much. I listened to it while enjoy8ing a good
read and it really swetp me away into the zone. When it had ended, I
really missed it and had to start it again. Your different approach to
composition played out very well. I should revisit this piece at night,
it must be - literally - fantastic.

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I thought love was just a tingling of the skin <3

Re: The Bay of Atlantis

Louigi Verona
Hey everyone!

Thank you for the kind words, I am very happy you are enjoying the experience.

Any and all sonic references to Tangerine Dream are always accidental, as to this day I never listened to Tangerine Dream, although have skimmed through several tunes after being told that some of my tunes that feature arpeggiation seem to remind people of Tangerine Dream. Right now quickly clicked through Rubicon on YouTube. Arpeggiation part in the end is not bad, although a little outdated, I guess.

I think the reason why some of my arpeggiating tunes remind people of Tangerine Dream is that setting up an arpeggiating bassline as a backbone of a tune and then putting things on top is an extremely simple idea that many musicians come up with. As I do have a minialistic approach in my music, it is possible that it sounds similar to what they did back in the day. Either way, Tangerine Dream has never been part of my musical diet, but I don't mind people hearing these unintentional references, this is always very interesting.

As to the part at 26 minute, I think this is a pad loop that I played through Kluppe sent through a chain of CamelSpace ran though Festige and then through Rakarrack, powered by an almost 100% wet signal Long Reverb of the reverb module. The "watery" feeling is created by CamelSpace, which provides a filter and a sequencer which is capable of gating and changing the cutoff frequency value. An incredible VST plugin, although I actually rarely use it for ambient.

So, a mix of Linux and VST technology here. But as far as I remember, this was probably the only non-Linux piece of tech I've used here.

L.V.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks. For comparison:  https://youtu.be/jd6XL_IOS3I?t=5m01s and listen right around the 5:24 mark

It may sound utterly different to you, but this is what I reminded of by those precise moments in your piece (which has much more going for it than a nostalgia-reminiscence!)