The Future 1 (the web)

Bengt Gördén-3
The subject is a reference to Paul Davies talk at LAC2017
(https://youtu.be/tZbMfyBGPKo?list=PLpEMKw8jHgdRA3ydjZvt73q4Nc4W0jvuz&t=11804)

I happened to come across a user interface for a DAW recently in a
Swedish magazine for home studio (online). The program is called Amped
Studio and is a cloud-based version of an DAW. Seems to be a sensible
user interface, maybe a bit simple for an DAW. But it could be how a
"The Future" might look like.

https://www.ampedstudio.com/

launch the app.

https://app.ampedstudio.com/

best,

--
/bengan

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Paul Davis
Yes, this is pretty much what I have imagined.

It seems likely that Ardour will be accessible via OSC-via-WebSocket within the next 10-15 days. Normally it would be sooner but I'm moving back to the USA after months in Europe and there are lot of logistics to deal wth.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> wrote:
The subject is a reference to Paul Davies talk at LAC2017
(https://youtu.be/tZbMfyBGPKo?list=PLpEMKw8jHgdRA3ydjZvt73q4Nc4W0jvuz&t=11804)

I happened to come across a user interface for a DAW recently in a
Swedish magazine for home studio (online). The program is called Amped
Studio and is a cloud-based version of an DAW. Seems to be a sensible
user interface, maybe a bit simple for an DAW. But it could be how a
"The Future" might look like.

https://www.ampedstudio.com/

launch the app.

https://app.ampedstudio.com/

best,

--
/bengan

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Johannes Kroll
"DAW-as-a-Service", as in "store your audio data on our computers and
outside of your own control, while using proprietary software that does
not even run on your own computer, but on a server somewhere and you
only see the browser-based UI"?

On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:42:17 +0200
Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The subject is a reference to Paul Davies talk at LAC2017
> (https://youtu.be/tZbMfyBGPKo?list=PLpEMKw8jHgdRA3ydjZvt73q4Nc4W0jvuz&t=11804)
>
> I happened to come across a user interface for a DAW recently in a
> Swedish magazine for home studio (online). The program is called Amped
> Studio and is a cloud-based version of an DAW. Seems to be a sensible
> user interface, maybe a bit simple for an DAW. But it could be how a
> "The Future" might look like.
>

> https://www.ampedstudio.com/
>

> launch the app.
>
> https://app.ampedstudio.com/
>
> best,
>

> --
> /bengan

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Paul Davis
I was commenting only on the visuals.

I have no enthusiasm or interest in "DAW-as-service".

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Johannes Kroll <[hidden email]> wrote:
"DAW-as-a-Service", as in "store your audio data on our computers and
outside of your own control, while using proprietary software that does
not even run on your own computer, but on a server somewhere and you
only see the browser-based UI"?

On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:42:17 +0200
Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The subject is a reference to Paul Davies talk at LAC2017
> (https://youtu.be/tZbMfyBGPKo?list=PLpEMKw8jHgdRA3ydjZvt73q4Nc4W0jvuz&t=11804)
>
> I happened to come across a user interface for a DAW recently in a
> Swedish magazine for home studio (online). The program is called Amped
> Studio and is a cloud-based version of an DAW. Seems to be a sensible
> user interface, maybe a bit simple for an DAW. But it could be how a
> "The Future" might look like.
>

> https://www.ampedstudio.com/
>

> launch the app.
>
> https://app.ampedstudio.com/
>
> best,
>

> --
> /bengan

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Bengt Gördén-3
At 2017-05-22 kl. 17:36, Johannes Kroll wrote:
> "DAW-as-a-Service", as in "store your audio data on our computers and
outside of your own control,
>  while using proprietary software that does not even run on your own
computer, but on a server
> somewhere and you only see the browser-based UI"?

Or like this:

"DAW-as-a-open-Service", as in "store your audio data on our computers
and inside of your own control,
while using software that run on your own computers, but you only see
the browser-based UI"

It was merely an example on what Paul Davies said beginning at 3h16m41s
in the video.

Personally I think it's an interesting idea with browser based UI.

cheers,

--

/bengan

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Johannes Kroll
On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:30:27 +0200
Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was commenting only on the visuals.
>
> I have no enthusiasm or interest in "DAW-as-service".

Ok, decoupling the UI for a free DAW via OSC makes more sense. I tried
clicking together a simple GUI with open-stage-control for some code I
wrote in extempore. It seemed too sluggish for my taste. Not sure if
it is a browser issue (I tried Chrome and Firefox) or an issue with
open-stage-control, or an issue with browser-/javascript-based things
in general. It would be nice to be able to create browser-based GUIs on
the fly if the resulting UI would feel less sluggish.

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Bill Purvis
On 22/05/17 21:48, Johannes Kroll wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:30:27 +0200
> Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was commenting only on the visuals.
>>
>> I have no enthusiasm or interest in "DAW-as-service".
> Ok, decoupling the UI for a free DAW via OSC makes more sense. I tried
> clicking together a simple GUI with open-stage-control for some code I
> wrote in extempore. It seemed too sluggish for my taste. Not sure if
> it is a browser issue (I tried Chrome and Firefox) or an issue with
> open-stage-control, or an issue with browser-/javascript-based things
> in general. It would be nice to be able to create browser-based GUIs on
> the fly if the resulting UI would feel less sluggish.
I've been using the GUI interface to a Soundcraft Ui16 mixer - the response
seems quite adequate, so it should be feasible for a DAW. The browser is
Firefox on an old laptop running Linux Mint 17. Ethernet wired connection
to the mixer. I occasionally use an Android tablet over WiFi to it using
Chrome, again response seems quite adequate for a GUI. I haven't looked
into the code yet...

Bill

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Kees van Veen
On 23-05-17 10:30, Bill Purvis wrote:

> On 22/05/17 21:48, Johannes Kroll wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:30:27 +0200
>> Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I was commenting only on the visuals.
>>>
>>> I have no enthusiasm or interest in "DAW-as-service".
>> Ok, decoupling the UI for a free DAW via OSC makes more sense. I tried
>> clicking together a simple GUI with open-stage-control for some code I
>> wrote in extempore. It seemed too sluggish for my taste. Not sure if
>> it is a browser issue (I tried Chrome and Firefox) or an issue with
>> open-stage-control, or an issue with browser-/javascript-based things
>> in general. It would be nice to be able to create browser-based GUIs on
>> the fly if the resulting UI would feel less sluggish.
> I've been using the GUI interface to a Soundcraft Ui16 mixer - the
> response
> seems quite adequate, so it should be feasible for a DAW. The browser is
> Firefox on an old laptop running Linux Mint 17. Ethernet wired connection
> to the mixer. I occasionally use an Android tablet over WiFi to it using
> Chrome, again response seems quite adequate for a GUI. I haven't looked
> into the code yet...

I have Soundcraft UI16 too, and see a websocket+JS updating the browser
DOM (see also Soundcraft's demo page
http://www.soundcraft.com/ui-demo/mixer.html) .

Note however that there is no sound travelling, just GUI updates, so you
don't actually hear what's going on, just see it (and control it).

Cheers,
Kees

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Anders Hellquist
A quick reply that might be off topic.. (i am no developer)

I recently bought two Motu Ultralite AVB cards and have not used the embedded html based mixer/configuration interface but i noticed that motu have publshed both their web API as well as their OSC reference. Maybe Motu did something good that can be helpful for Ardour web socket ideas ?

http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/audio/AVB/docs/MOTU%20AVB%20Web%20API.pdf
http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/audio/AVB/docs/OSC%20Quick%20Reference.pdf

Sorry if that did not make any sense

Cheers
Anders

[...]

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:54:29 +0200
Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally I think it's an interesting idea with browser based UI.

I'd like to be able to mix on the bus, remotely, using a smartphone and
earbuds, will this be possible ?  :)

Re: The Future 1 (the web)

Len Ovens
On Tue, 23 May 2017, jonetsu wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:54:29 +0200
> Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Personally I think it's an interesting idea with browser based UI.
>
> I'd like to be able to mix on the bus, remotely, using a smartphone and
> earbuds, will this be possible ?  :)

It's in my "do to" list.... er, but not soon.  ;)

(actually, I suppose it is possible now for some definition of mixing)

open stage control is not that bad if the http server part is on the same
machine as the DAW. It does allow one to have a web based interface now
for any OSC/MIDI controlable DAW. I have set Ardour up this way. I use
open stage control for testing with Ardour. It is much quicker and more
stable than TouchOSC or Control. (Control is the slowest of the bunch)
I have found for an android device, chrome works better than firefox.