Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
With the latest debian update I've just seen that, on CLI startup, any
application that runs jack now chucks out 20-30 lines of info. Is there any way
to suppress this? Most of the time, someone running from the CLI just wants to
know it's running.

Re: Too much information :(

Jeanette C.
Dec 17 2016, Will Godfrey has written:

> With the latest debian update I've just seen that, on CLI startup, any
> application that runs jack now chucks out 20-30 lines of info. Is there any way
> to suppress this? Most of the time, someone running from the CLI just wants to
> know it's running.
Hi Will,
what sort of information is printed on the screen? Is it kernel/deep
system related INFO or does it look like a Debian specific message?

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 11:23:38 +0100 (CET)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dec 17 2016, Will Godfrey has written:
>
> > With the latest debian update I've just seen that, on CLI startup, any
> > application that runs jack now chucks out 20-30 lines of info. Is there any way
> > to suppress this? Most of the time, someone running from the CLI just wants to
> > know it's running.
> Hi Will,
> what sort of information is printed on the screen? Is it kernel/deep
> system related INFO or does it look like a Debian specific message?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
> When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

It's specific to jack. Each line starts,

Jack:

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.

Re: Too much information :(

Jeanette C.
Hi Will,
it's been a while, since I had to cope with similar problems, but I
believe this is related to the syslog service. It's a matter of
configuring which messages are printed to the current TTY and which are
perhaps logged to tty10. This was a standard TTY for all kinds of
messages. Perhaps you could look at JACK's commandline options. There
certainly is the -v (verbose) option.

HTH.

Dec 17 2016, Will J Godfrey has written:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 11:23:38 +0100 (CET)
> "Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dec 17 2016, Will Godfrey has written:
>>
>>> With the latest debian update I've just seen that, on CLI startup, any
>>> application that runs jack now chucks out 20-30 lines of info. Is there any way
>>> to suppress this? Most of the time, someone running from the CLI just wants to
>>> know it's running.
>> Hi Will,
>> what sort of information is printed on the screen? Is it kernel/deep
>> system related INFO or does it look like a Debian specific message?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Jeanette
>>
>> --------
>> When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
>
> It's specific to jack. Each line starts,
>
> Jack:
>
> --
> It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)
>
> ... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
> but trying to catch the good bits.

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:54:59 +0100 (CET)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Will,
> it's been a while, since I had to cope with similar problems, but I
> believe this is related to the syslog service. It's a matter of
> configuring which messages are printed to the current TTY and which are
> perhaps logged to tty10. This was a standard TTY for all kinds of
> messages. Perhaps you could look at JACK's commandline options. There
> certainly is the -v (verbose) option.
>
> HTH.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Looks like I've more of a problem :(

I use qjackctl to start jack, and it now takes much longer before I can actually
start it, after loading the app.

An unrelated issue that's suddenly occurred is that USB sticks are no longer
auto recognised and I have to use pmount.

All of this has happened since that latest fetch from debian testing :(

Maybe I'm imagining things, but we seem to be getting a lot more breakages
and general strange behaviour from debian these days.

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.

Re: Too much information :(

Roger E
On 18/12/16 19:46, Will J Godfrey wrote:
> All of this has happened since that latest fetch from debian testing :(
> Maybe I'm imagining things, but we seem to be getting a lot more breakages
> and general strange behaviour from debian these days.

Debian Stretch is in freeze transition preparing for next release. Soft
freeze happens on 5 Jan so many packages may be pushed to beat this
deadline causing testing to be at a fragile stage currently.

https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2016/04/

Doesn't help fix your issue but may help explain why it happened.

Roger

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 22:38:31 +1100
Roger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/12/16 19:46, Will J Godfrey wrote:
> > All of this has happened since that latest fetch from debian testing :(
> > Maybe I'm imagining things, but we seem to be getting a lot more breakages
> > and general strange behaviour from debian these days.
> >
> Debian Stretch is in freeze transition preparing for next release. Soft
> freeze happens on 5 Jan so many packages may be pushed to beat this
> deadline causing testing to be at a fragile stage currently.
>
> https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2016/04/
>
> Doesn't help fix your issue but may help explain why it happened.
>
> Roger

Didn't think of that  :(

Thanks, I can get round things for now.

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 15:46:34 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 22:38:31 +1100
> Roger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 18/12/16 19:46, Will J Godfrey wrote:
> > > All of this has happened since that latest fetch from debian testing :(
> > > Maybe I'm imagining things, but we seem to be getting a lot more breakages
> > > and general strange behaviour from debian these days.
> > >
> > Debian Stretch is in freeze transition preparing for next release. Soft
> > freeze happens on 5 Jan so many packages may be pushed to beat this
> > deadline causing testing to be at a fragile stage currently.
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2016/04/
> >
> > Doesn't help fix your issue but may help explain why it happened.
> >
> > Roger
>
> Didn't think of that  :(
>
> Thanks, I can get round things for now.

Hmmm, my normal state of mild confusion has now progressed to considerable
agitation!

As an experiment I tried using jackd1. Result, none of these messages. However
debian doesn't provide headers for this so I can't compile against it.

continuous stream of messages even when there is nothing running except
qjackctl, so I'm wondering if the nice people at debian have inadvertently
compiled it with a debug switch enabled.

Is there such a switch, and can it be disabled without re-compiling.

I generally avoid compiling low-level stuff - I don't want to end up having to
also compile all the kit that's dependent on the debian installs.

Below is a few *seconds* worth from qjackctl's message window.

Jack: JackEngine::ClientNotify: no callback for notification = 4
Jack: JackEngine::ClientNotify: no callback for notification = 4
Jack: JackExternalClient::ClientNotify ref = 2 client = qjackctl name =
qjackctl notify = 4 Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2
fd = 10 Jack: JackClient::ClientNotify ref = 2 name = qjackctl notify = 4
Jack: JackClient::kGraphOrderCallback
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
[...]

Joël Krähemann
Hi

What version of debian are you using stable, testing or unstable?
Since I have experienced 200GB of log files but
seems to be fixed now. I use unstable.

Bests,
Joël

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Will Godfrey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
>

> --
> Will J Godfrey
> http://www.musically.me.uk
> Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
> Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 19:53:07 +0100
Joël Krähemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What version of debian are you using stable, testing or unstable?
> Since I have experienced 200GB of log files but
> seems to be fixed now. I use unstable.
>
> Bests,
> Joël

Hi Joël

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I'm using testing, so the fact you've had this and it's now cleared suggests
the fix should migrate across soon.

Re: Too much information :(

David Jones

On Dec 30, 2016 09:07, Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 19:53:07 +0100
> Joël Krähemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > What version of debian are you using stable, testing or unstable?
> > Since I have experienced 200GB of log files but
> > seems to be fixed now. I use unstable.
> >
> > Bests,
> > Joël
>
> Hi Joël
>
> Thanks for such a quick reply.
>
> I'm using testing, so the fact you've had this and it's now cleared suggests
> the fix should migrate across soon.

I've been using testing for years now and have never had 200GB of log files. Have also used a mix of testing and experimental - same lack of huge amounts of log files. Same for when I ran Sid with or without experimental.

Weird.

Re: Too much information :(

David Jones

On Dec 30, 2016 08:29, Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 9
> Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 10

FWIW, I updated to JACKD2 from testing last night. I use mplayer on command line to play through JACK. And get​ the same results.

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
A bit more of a puzzle is that I have two systems that have exactly the same
debian testing versions, both updated today. One chucks out all this stuff
and the other one doesn't.

I'm wondering if there is a config setting that has somehow changed in one of
them (or the way it is read).

Can anyone suggest what that may be?

Rob

Re: Too much information :(

Will Godfrey
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:46:27 -0500
Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ~/.config/rncbc.org/QjckCtl.conf
> rob

It's not a qjackctl issue. It doesn't happen if I use jackd1 (but that gives me
other problems).

Also, I'd already tried removing that one and starting from scratch - no
different. Oh, and taking advantage of the machines at work, that's now three
machines that exhibit this behaviour and one that doesn't. I don't know if it's
co-incidence but the one behaving 'correctly' is the only one that has an AMD
processor.

Re: Too much information - RESOLVED

Will Godfrey
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 20:46:38 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:46:27 -0500
> Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ~/.config/rncbc.org/QjckCtl.conf
> > rob
>
> It's not a qjackctl issue. It doesn't happen if I use jackd1 (but that gives me
> other problems).
>
> Also, I'd already tried removing that one and starting from scratch - no
> different. Oh, and taking advantage of the machines at work, that's now three
> machines that exhibit this behaviour and one that doesn't. I don't know if it's
> co-incidence but the one behaving 'correctly' is the only one that has an AMD
> processor.

It would seem that debian giveth and debian taketh away.

Latest update and everything is back to normal.