Trying to start Aeous gives me seg faults

Trying to start Aeous gives me seg faults

David Jones
Starting Aeolus from command line returns this:

Reading '/usr/share/aeolus/stops/Aeolus/definition'
Reading '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'
Segmentation fault

Running on Debian Testing. It's been awhile since I played anything with
Aeolus, so I have no idea how it might have been broken.

Just tried reinstalling, no luck. Then removed Aeolus and stops packages
completely, but trying to reinstall using Synaptic reported that I had
"held broken packages' and wouldn't complete. Command line APT was able
to reinstall them.

But I still get seg faults and it won't start. I miss my 'real' organ
sounds!

Ideas?

Re: Trying to start Aeous gives me seg faults

Hermann Meyer

Am 18.09.2017 um 06:44 schrieb david:

> Starting Aeolus from command line returns this:
>
> Reading '/usr/share/aeolus/stops/Aeolus/definition'
> Reading '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'
> Segmentation fault
>
> Running on Debian Testing. It's been awhile since I played anything
> with Aeolus, so I have no idea how it might have been broken.
>
> Just tried reinstalling, no luck. Then removed Aeolus and stops
> packages completely, but trying to reinstall using Synaptic reported
> that I had "held broken packages' and wouldn't complete. Command line
> APT was able to reinstall them.
>
> But I still get seg faults and it won't start. I miss my 'real' organ
> sounds!
>
> Ideas?

First shot in such cases is remove/rename config files in home
'/home/david/.aeolus-presets'

Re: Trying to start Aeous gives me seg faults

Francesco Ariis
On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 06:44:52PM -1000, david wrote:
> Starting Aeolus from command line returns this:
>
> Reading '/usr/share/aeolus/stops/Aeolus/definition'
> Reading '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'
> Segmentation fault

Hello David,
    I have Aeolus installed on debian stable (stretch) and it works.
Which aeolus version do you have, and which freetype version too?
Mine are:

    libfreetype6 - 2.6.3-3.2
    aeolus - 0.9.0-2

Do you have jackd installed?
-F

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 07:31:41AM +0200, Hermann Meyer wrote:

> Am 18.09.2017 um 06:44 schrieb david:
> >Starting Aeolus from command line returns this:
> >
> >Reading '/usr/share/aeolus/stops/Aeolus/definition'
> >Reading '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'
> >Segmentation fault
>
> First shot in such cases is remove/rename config files in home
> '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'

No, this is due to recent versions of the font libs requiring
more stack space.

In main.cc, line 253, increase the stack size of the interface
thread:

  iface->thr_start (SCHED_OTHER, 0, 0x00020000);

This should solve the issue.

Ciao,

On 09/18/2017 06:39 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 07:31:41AM +0200, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>
>> Am 18.09.2017 um 06:44 schrieb david:
>>> Starting Aeolus from command line returns this:
>>>
>>> Reading '/usr/share/aeolus/stops/Aeolus/definition'
>>> Reading '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'
>>> Segmentation fault
>>
>> First shot in such cases is remove/rename config files in home
>> '/home/david/.aeolus-presets'
>
> No, this is due to recent versions of the font libs requiring
> more stack space.
>
> In main.cc, line 253, increase the stack size of the interface
> thread:
>
>    iface->thr_start (SCHED_OTHER, 0, 0x00020000);
>
> This should solve the issue.

Thanks. I see that aeolus is up to 0.9.5 according to this:

http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html

Line 253 in main.cc there matches your line above. So I should increase
the 0x00020000? Or is that the value it should be at and my current
version has something smaller?

Thanks.