What is asound.state ?

Jonathan E. Brickman-2
I happened to notice one web site which said to delete /etc/asound.state
when changing configurations.  I don't have an /etc/asound.state, but I
do have a /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.  Should I delete it?  It appears
to be ASCII with very long lines, human-readable but machine-intended I
think.

J.E.B.

Re: What is asound.state ?

Julien Claassen
Hi Jonathan!
   the asound.state, whereever it is, it has different locations, don't know if
based on alsa-version or distro. It is the place where ALSA (alsactl) stores
all the volumes and settings for your cards. For cards with more features this
can mean routing etc. I seem to remember, that it can be helpful to delete
them.
   NOTE BENE: If you like your soundcard settings as they are and if there's a
lot to setup, you can try to save the settings for that card in one file. I
don't know how to do it, but it's simple. I once did it. With that, you can
tell alsactl to resotre the settings for that particular card, whereever ALSA
finds it now, from that file.
   Kind regards
           Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net
the Linux TextBased Studio guide
http://www.juliencoder.de

Re: What is asound.state ?

garry Ogle
Julien Claassen wrote:

> Hi Jonathan!
>    the asound.state, whereever it is, it has different locations, don't know if
> based on alsa-version or distro. It is the place where ALSA (alsactl) stores
> all the volumes and settings for your cards. For cards with more features this
> can mean routing etc. I seem to remember, that it can be helpful to delete
> them.
>    NOTE BENE: If you like your soundcard settings as they are and if there's a
> lot to setup, you can try to save the settings for that card in one file. I
> don't know how to do it, but it's simple. I once did it. With that, you can
> tell alsactl to resotre the settings for that particular card, whereever ALSA
> finds it now, from that file.
>    Kind regards
>            Julien

from the man page (  man alsactl ):

NAME
        alsactl - advanced controls for ALSA soundcard driver

SYNOPSIS
        alsactl [options] [store|restore|init] <card # or id or device>

DESCRIPTION
        alsactl  is  used  to  control advanced settings for the ALSA
soundcard drivers. It supports multiple soundcards. If your card has
features that you can't seem to control from a mixer application, you
have come to the right place.

COMMANDS
        store saves the current driver state for the selected soundcard
to the configuration file.

        restore loads driver state for the selected soundcard from the
configuration file. If restoring fails (eventually partly), the init
action is called.

<edit>

FILES
        /var/lib/alsa/asound.state (or whatever file you specify with
the -f flag) is used to store current settings for your soundcards. The
settings  include  all  the  usual soundcard mixer settings.  More
importantly, alsactl is capable of controlling other card-specific
features that mixer apps usually don't know about.

Re: What is asound.state ?

Fons Adriaensen-2
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:21:46PM +0000, Garry Ogle wrote:

> FILES
>         /var/lib/alsa/asound.state (or whatever file you specify with
> the -f flag) is used to store current settings for your soundcards.

What system is this ? On both Fedora and ArchLinux the default
is '/etc/asound.state'.

Re: What is asound.state ?

Jonathan E. Brickman-2

FILES
        /var/lib/alsa/asound.state (or whatever file you specify with
the -f flag) is used to store current settings for your soundcards.

What system is this ? On both Fedora and ArchLinux the default
is '/etc/asound.state'.

I believe that /var/lib/alsa is the default location in Debian.

J.E.B.

Re: What is asound.state ?

James Cameron
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 06:39:18PM -0500, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

>     What system is this ? On both Fedora and ArchLinux the default
>     is '/etc/asound.state'.
>
> I believe that /var/lib/alsa is the default location in Debian.

And this is good, because it allows /etc/ to remain read-only ...
everything that needs to be written by programs ends up in /var.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Re: What is asound.state ?

garry Ogle
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:21:46PM +0000, Garry Ogle wrote:

>> FILES
>>         /var/lib/alsa/asound.state (or whatever file you specify with
>> the -f flag) is used to store current settings for your soundcards.
>
> What system is this ? On both Fedora and ArchLinux the default
> is '/etc/asound.state'.

Debian.

Re: What is asound.state ?

Bjoern Lindig
On Tuesday 27 October 2009 05:44:09 James Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 06:39:18PM -0500, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> >     What system is this ? On both Fedora and ArchLinux the default
> >     is '/etc/asound.state'.
> >
> > I believe that /var/lib/alsa is the default location in Debian.
>
> And this is good, because it allows /etc/ to remain read-only ...
> everything that needs to be written by programs ends up in /var.

So, you say, it would make sense to change it? Is there a way to change the
default on ArchLinux?

Re: What is asound.state ?

Ray Rashif
2009/10/28 Bjoern Lindig <[hidden email]>
On Tuesday 27 October 2009 05:44:09 James Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 06:39:18PM -0500, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> >     What system is this ? On both Fedora and ArchLinux the default
> >     is '/etc/asound.state'.
> >
> > I believe that /var/lib/alsa is the default location in Debian.
>
> And this is good, because it allows /etc/ to remain read-only ...
> everything that needs to be written by programs ends up in /var.

So, you say, it would make sense to change it? Is there a way to change the
default on ArchLinux?

Huh? It's upstream decision, man alsactl:

-f, --file
              Select the configuration file to use. The default is
              /etc/asound.state.