What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Ralf Mardorf
Hi :)

I already asked on some lists about my RME HDSPe AIO card. I explicitly
bought this for Linux usage only in 2011, but never needed all
available channels until now. Now I notice that the card can't be used
for serious audio productions. At the moment I'm producing. It's very
time consuming and a lot of the things I need aren't available. The card
+ ADAT comes with 10 IOs, but only 4 can be used, so I only can loop in
one 19" reverb, already a help, but not enough for my needs.

Are there any professional PCIe audio cards that are working with Linux?
I'll ask this on several lists, perhaps somebody does know such a card
at least on one list.

Regards,
Ralf
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

christian bunge-2
Hi,

I work with sta DSP2000 C-Port from Hoontech.

10 x 10 24-bit/96kHz 100% Full-Duplex recording path support
2 x balanced (XLR) inputs with built in pre-amps (-24dB to +50dB) &
switchable phantom power (48V)
2 x balanced (XLR) outputs
8 x 1/4" unbalanced inputs
8 x 1/4" unbalanced outputs
coaxial and optical & AES/EBU I/O connections as standard
stereo headphone output with volume control (1/4" connector)
2 x 16 channel (32 channels) MIDI interface ports provided (2 outputs, 1
input)...

The PCI Card has become very cheap, because there are now new driver for
the new windows versions.
The MIDI interface ports is not working with the alsa driver.
RME should be better, but I thing the DSP2000 is still good enough for
professional work.

chris

Am 11.11.2012 11:16, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> Hi :)
>
> I already asked on some lists about my RME HDSPe AIO card. I explicitly
> bought this for Linux usage only in 2011, but never needed all
> available channels until now. Now I notice that the card can't be used
> for serious audio productions. At the moment I'm producing. It's very
> time consuming and a lot of the things I need aren't available. The card
> + ADAT comes with 10 IOs, but only 4 can be used, so I only can loop in
> one 19" reverb, already a help, but not enough for my needs.
>
> Are there any professional PCIe audio cards that are working with Linux?
> I'll ask this on several lists, perhaps somebody does know such a card
> at least on one list.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-audio-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
>


--
www.christian-bunge.de

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 13:42:58 +0100
christian bunge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I work with sta DSP2000 C-Port from Hoontech.
>
> 10 x 10 24-bit/96kHz 100% Full-Duplex recording path support
> 2 x balanced (XLR) inputs with built in pre-amps (-24dB to +50dB) &
> switchable phantom power (48V)
> 2 x balanced (XLR) outputs
> 8 x 1/4" unbalanced inputs
> 8 x 1/4" unbalanced outputs
> coaxial and optical & AES/EBU I/O connections as standard
> stereo headphone output with volume control (1/4" connector)
> 2 x 16 channel (32 channels) MIDI interface ports provided (2
> outputs, 1 input)...
>
> The PCI Card has become very cheap, because there are now new driver
                                                        ^^ ;)
> for the new windows versions.
> The MIDI interface ports is not working with the alsa driver.
> RME should be better, but I thing the DSP2000 is still good enough for
> professional work.
>

Thank you Chris,

but I can't find a PCIe version of this card. For my current setup PCI
might be the better solution, but I'll be ready for the near future. If
"now" should be a typo, I guess there are "no new" drivers, because PCIe
will replace PCI.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: Yes, the quality of the RME card is superb. For headphones I'm only
using the RME's output at the moment, I guess it's the best headphone
output I've got in my home studio and the hdspmixer is very convenient.
If the "matrix" could be edited, IOW if all or at least more IOs could
be assigned to jack capture/playback ports, I wouldn't replace this
card. OTOH with my mobo latency has to be very high to avoid xruns.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Brett McCoy-2
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I already asked on some lists about my RME HDSPe AIO card. I explicitly
> bought this for Linux usage only in 2011, but never needed all
> available channels until now. Now I notice that the card can't be used
> for serious audio productions. At the moment I'm producing. It's very
> time consuming and a lot of the things I need aren't available. The card
> + ADAT comes with 10 IOs, but only 4 can be used, so I only can loop in
> one 19" reverb, already a help, but not enough for my needs.

The RME cards should work with Linux. I've used both PCI and PCIe HDSP
(36 channel I/O) and have never had any issues getting all of the
channels to work, although rarely use them all at once (usually just
the ADAT, which has 8 channels). The routing in the HDSP mixing app is
complicated, no question about that, if you don't you have your inputs
routed to the right outputs, you will get silence.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, 2012-11-11 at 08:29 -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> The routing in the HDSP mixing app is complicated, no question about
> that, if you don't you have your inputs routed to the right outputs,
> you will get silence.

Are you talking about hdspmixer settings? They are working for analog
and ADAT IOs. Since I'm able to use analog 1 and 2 and ADAT 1 and 2 I
suspect I understand how to use hdspmixer, at least equivalent settings
that I use for ADAT 1 and 2 should work for ADAT 3 to 8 too and they do
for the hdspmixer, but there's no way to get the audio signal from or to
the jack ports. There's no option to assign the ports. Since hdspconf
doesn't work for the HDSPe AIO I use alsamixer to choose the sync, but I
can't set up much more using alsamixer.

Am I missing some menu or config?

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Tim-2
In reply to this post by christian bunge-2
On November 11, 2012 01:42:58 PM christian bunge wrote:
> I work with sta DSP2000 C-Port from Hoontech.

Pardon me, we're discussing this product in another thread.

The converters are in a separate rack, right?

Can you tell me if ALSA gives you the ADC/DAC controls
 for the converters?
ie running amixer shows some ADC/DAC controls?

What mixer are you using?
A user has the AKxxx drivers loaded but Envy24control and Mudita24
 aren't showing the ADC/DAC controls because ALSA doesn't seem
 to be providing them for him.

Thanks. Tim.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Ralf Mardorf
@ Rivera: I don't trust lists anymore ;).
@ Mike:   I already tested several Linux, but I'll test some live CDs
          too.

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 01:47 -0500, Tim E. Real wrote:

> On November 11, 2012 01:42:58 PM christian bunge wrote:
> > I work with sta DSP2000 C-Port from Hoontech.
>
> Pardon me, we're discussing this product in another thread.
>
> The converters are in a separate rack, right?
>
> Can you tell me if ALSA gives you the ADC/DAC controls
>  for the converters?
> ie running amixer shows some ADC/DAC controls?
>
> What mixer are you using?
> A user has the AKxxx drivers loaded but Envy24control and Mudita24
>  aren't showing the ADC/DAC controls because ALSA doesn't seem
>  to be providing them for him.

Hi Tim :)

the RME card has it's own mixer GUI hdspmixer. All ADAT channels are
present there. If I connect a mic to ADAT 9, hdspmixer does show the
audio signal.
Analog 1 and 2 are capture and playback 1 and 2, ADAT 1 and 2 are
capture and playback 7 and 8. Capture and playback 9 to 14 should be
ADAT 2 to 8, but those ports are dead.

The input of ADAT 1 can be heard at output ADAT 1 the input of ADAT 8
can be heard at the output of ADAT 1 and ADAT 8, but ADAT 8 isn't routed
to a capture port.

What ever box I check or uncheck, what ever fader I use, it doesn't
change.

FWIW it's known that hdspconf can't be opened when using my card, but I
can use alsamixer instead. alsactl can not store. alsamixer doesn't
provide all mixer abilities hdspmixer does provide.

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Jason Jones
I've used a RME Raydat, which is PCI-E.  It works on all 16 channels at 96KHZ, and all 32 at 44.1 or 48.  Latency is near zero, and the optional word clock module even functions properly.

--Jason
www.advancedbudgetstudios.com


On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
@ Rivera: I don't trust lists anymore ;).
@ Mike:   I already tested several Linux, but I'll test some live CDs
          too.

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 01:47 -0500, Tim E. Real wrote:
> On November 11, 2012 01:42:58 PM christian bunge wrote:
> > I work with sta DSP2000 C-Port from Hoontech.
>
> Pardon me, we're discussing this product in another thread.
>
> The converters are in a separate rack, right?
>
> Can you tell me if ALSA gives you the ADC/DAC controls
>  for the converters?
> ie running amixer shows some ADC/DAC controls?
>
> What mixer are you using?
> A user has the AKxxx drivers loaded but Envy24control and Mudita24
>  aren't showing the ADC/DAC controls because ALSA doesn't seem
>  to be providing them for him.

Hi Tim :)

the RME card has it's own mixer GUI hdspmixer. All ADAT channels are
present there. If I connect a mic to ADAT 9, hdspmixer does show the
audio signal.
Analog 1 and 2 are capture and playback 1 and 2, ADAT 1 and 2 are
capture and playback 7 and 8. Capture and playback 9 to 14 should be
ADAT 2 to 8, but those ports are dead.

The input of ADAT 1 can be heard at output ADAT 1 the input of ADAT 8
can be heard at the output of ADAT 1 and ADAT 8, but ADAT 8 isn't routed
to a capture port.

What ever box I check or uncheck, what ever fader I use, it doesn't
change.

FWIW it's known that hdspconf can't be opened when using my card, but I
can use alsamixer instead. alsactl can not store. alsamixer doesn't
provide all mixer abilities hdspmixer does provide.

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Ralf Mardorf
On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 13:44 -0700, Jason Jones wrote:
> I've used a RME Raydat, which is PCI-E.  It works on all 16 channels
> at 96KHZ, and all 32 at 44.1 or 48.  Latency is near zero, and the
> optional word clock module even functions properly.

If I need to get rid of the HDSPe AIO, I guess I won't buy another RME
card. Some minutes ago I sent an email in German to RME support. If I
should get an interesting reply, I'll report back to the list in broken
English.

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What professional PCIe audio cards do work with Linux?

Ralf Mardorf
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 09:22 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 13:44 -0700, Jason Jones wrote:
> > I've used a RME Raydat, which is PCI-E.  It works on all 16 channels
> > at 96KHZ, and all 32 at 44.1 or 48.  Latency is near zero, and the
> > optional word clock module even functions properly.
>
> If I need to get rid of the HDSPe AIO, I guess I won't buy another RME
> card. Some minutes ago I sent an email in German to RME support. If I
> should get an interesting reply, I'll report back to the list in broken
> English.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

PS: We several times had discussions about how to mix a deep bass sound
with Linux DAWs and I couldn't contribute a solution. However, I was
able to do this with the RME card. While all cards seem to sound equal,
I guess there are nice distinctions. If possible I'll stay with RME.
OTOH if Linux audio is dependent to just one vendor of really
"professional" cards, it's an unlucky situation. :(

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user