Quantcast

Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

chris kennedy
I have one of these new amps from Yamaha and they have a usb component which enables one to hook it to a computer and record into a DAW. It uses a Yamaha Steinberg usb driver to work on windows and mac. Its a usb 2.0 interface and its not class compliant from what i've read. Any ideas how to make a linux system see it as a soundcard? I would love to be able to use this thing ardour etc. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Len Ovens

On Mon, October 8, 2012 9:14 am, chris kennedy wrote:
> I have one of these new amps from Yamaha and they have a usb component
> which enables one to hook it to a computer and record into a DAW. It uses
> a Yamaha Steinberg usb driver to work on windows and mac. Its a usb 2.0
> interface and its not class compliant from what i've read. Any ideas how
> to make a linux system see it as a soundcard? I would love to be able to
> use this thing ardour etc. Many thanks in advance.

This article very briefly seems to indicate that it works somewhat with
linux:

http://en.m.audiofanzine.com/modeling-combo-amplifier/yamaha/thr-series-thr10/user_reviews/r.101622.html

I would plug it in and try it. Even if all you can get is 16 bit input,
that may be all you need. It looks like a two channel device and so if you
get 24bit in that would be great too. (USB1.1 and 2.0)

The setup editing stuff will not work for sure, but your interest is just
sound input/output. If all else fails use audio out (headphones?) to
soundcard input. You have the unit anyway, so experiment. The Yamaha page
for it is very sparse when it comes to any technical details.

www.OvenWerks.net

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Len Ovens
Yamaha -1

Yamaha will not let me download the user manual without signing in. I
don't buy anything without access to the user manual before I buy and I
don't need someone being nosy about who I am just for that.

Yes I have stood in a store and read through the manual with the box open
before deciding to buy. Most sales people know less than I do... this is
not saying I know a lot but most sales people know less. With audio
computer IF I will try it in the store with my computer. That way I don't
buy what doesn't work and the sales people are educated a bit on why some
things are better than others. It may affect what that store orders in the
future... One can always hope anyway :)

www.OvenWerks.net

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Clemens Ladisch
chris kennedy wrote:
> I have one of these new amps from Yamaha and they have a usb component
> which enables one to hook it to a computer and record into a DAW. It
> uses a Yamaha Steinberg usb driver to work on windows and mac. Its
> a usb 2.0 interface and its not class compliant from what i've read.
> Any ideas how to make a linux system see it as a soundcard?

Please show the output of "lsusb -v" for this device.

Regards,
Clemens

chris kennedy wrote:

> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0499:1507 Yamaha Corp.
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bInterfaceNumber        1
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      2
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  07 24 01 01 01 01 00
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  0b 24 02 01 02 03 18 01 44 ac 00
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bInterfaceNumber        2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      2
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  07 24 01 04 01 01 00
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  0b 24 02 01 04 03 18 01 44 ac 00
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bInterfaceNumber        3
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      3
>       bInterfaceProtocol    255
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  07 24 01 00 01 24 00
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  06 24 02 02 01 00
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  09 24 03 02 01 01 01 01 00

Please try adding the following entry somewhere in sound/usb/quirks-table.h:

{
        USB_DEVICE(0x0499, 0x1507),
        .driver_info = (unsigned long) & (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk) {
                /* .vendor_name = "Yamaha", */
                /* .product_name = "THR10", */
                .ifnum = QUIRK_ANY_INTERFACE,
                .type = QUIRK_COMPOSITE,
                .data = (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk[]) {
                        {
                                .ifnum = 1,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 2,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 3,
                                .type = QUIRK_MIDI_YAMAHA
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = -1
                        }
                }
        }
},

Regards,
Clemens

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Thomas Vecchione-2

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yamaha -1

Yamaha will not let me download the user manual without signing in. I
don't buy anything without access to the user manual before I buy and I
don't need someone being nosy about who I am just for that.

Strange, the very first google search I did for 'yamaha thr10 user manual' turned up three hits in a row for it, including this one...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?category_id1=16171&category_id2=16173&product_id=1602647

Which has it listed and I confirmed you can download without having to sign in.

The short of dealing with Yamaha is always Google search, their websites are horrible for support.

      Seablade

On Tue, October 9, 2012 4:01 am, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yamaha -1
>>
>> Yamaha will not let me download the user manual without signing in. I
>> don't buy anything without access to the user manual before I buy and I
>> don't need someone being nosy about who I am just for that.
>>

> Strange, the very first google search I did for 'yamaha thr10 user manual'
> turned up three hits in a row for it, including this one...
>
> http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?category_id1=16171&category_id2=16173&product_id=1602647
>
> Which has it listed and I confirmed you can download without having to
> sign
> in.
>
> The short of dealing with Yamaha is always Google search, their websites
> are horrible for support.

Good to know. Thankyou.

www.OvenWerks.net

chris kennedy wrote:
> $ amidi -l
> Dir Device    Name
> IO  hw:1,0,0  THR10 MIDI 1
>
> when i open up Qjackctl > Connections  THR10 in and outs only register
> under the ALSA tab under THR10midi. There are no THR10 inputs or outputs
> listed under the Audio tab.

Does "aplay -l" list THR10 devices?

Regards,
Clemens

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Clemens Ladisch
(please don't top-post)

chris kennedy wrote:
> $ aplay -l
> card 1: THR10 [THR10], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

So the driver works.

>> when i open up Qjackctl > Connections  THR10 in and outs only register
>> under the ALSA tab under THR10midi. There are no THR10 inputs or outputs
>> listed under the Audio tab.

So maybe you have to configure it to use the THR10.

Regards,
Clemens

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

Jeremy Jongepier
On 10/10/2012 04:20 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> (please don't top-post)
>
> chris kennedy wrote:
>> $ aplay -l
>> card 1: THR10 [THR10], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>
> So the driver works.
>
>>> when i open up Qjackctl > Connections  THR10 in and outs only register
>>> under the ALSA tab under THR10midi. There are no THR10 inputs or outputs
>>> listed under the Audio tab.
>
> So maybe you have to configure it to use the THR10.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

Is the OP not including LAU in his replies or do I simply not get all
the mail?

Best,

Jeremy

Sorry i think i've just been hitting reply without realizing. I  have a thread running at http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10133 which has Clemens patch in it and another user has kindly precompiled a real time kernel with the patch in it and uploaded as .deb file. Cheers, Chris. hehe autostatic thats you thanks i just realized..

On 10/10/2012 04:20 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> (please don't top-post)
>
> chris kennedy wrote:
>> $ aplay -l
>> card 1: THR10 [THR10], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>
> So the driver works.
>
>>> when i open up Qjackctl > Connections  THR10 in and outs only register
>>> under the ALSA tab under THR10midi. There are no THR10 inputs or outputs
>>> listed under the Audio tab.
>
> So maybe you have to configure it to use the THR10.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

Is the OP not including LAU in his replies or do I simply not get all
the mail?

Best,

Jeremy

Re: Yamaha THR10 amp / USB2.0 audio interface (Clemens?)

haeckser
Just to inform otheres: each THR has its own device ID !!
THR-10C has 0x150c,
othere I currently don't know.
If someone has another type, please check for the id (with lsub) and post it here

tschuess
haeckser