Yet more music from the Rack

Dave Phillips
Greetings !

Background musings from VCV Rack.

Some rhythmic sequencing:

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/spiralonial

And a little music for fake vielle and cittern:

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/faux-machaut

Just some instrumental fun, nothing serious going on here.

Best regards,

dp

Re: Yet more music from the Rack

Jeanette C.
Hey hey Dave,
May 16 2018, Dave Phillips has written:
> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/spiralonial
Having listened to both of them, this actually sounds a bit like the
second piece a couple of minutes later on, once a modular wizard has had
his fun with the patch cables. :) I don't know why I think of
staircases, but I have a strange passion for staircases.
> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/faux-machaut
Very meditative. Music to philosophise to or accompany a meditative
scene. Nice, warm sounds, if rather basic. Mayhap because they are so
basic, they induce comfort, a feeling of an old childhood home.

Thanks for sharing those two. That was a pleasant ten minutes amidst the
daily chores. A good escape into another world.

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

There's no time to loose
And next week,
You might not see me here <3

Re: Yet more music from the Rack

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:38:06 -0400
Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/spiralonial

That one is nice.  I would incorporate that into a 'real' piece. :)

How does the sequencer work ?   Is it possible to say that the
decisions are solely made from the emulation of electrical circuits,
hence derived from the play of components and voltages ?

How much time did the setup took (connecting virtual wires and such) to
produce this piece ?   How many wires were connected ?

> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/faux-machaut

Nice sounds and rhythm.  It has to fade away since it's pretty much
static.

One could say that 'Spiralonial' is also static, but perhaps by the use
of the harmonies and rhythms, it does not come cross as much as 'Faux
Machaut'.

Cheers.

Re: Yet more music from the Rack

Dave Phillips
Spam detection software, running on the system "mail1.linuxaudio.cyso.net",
has identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
similar future email.  If you have any questions, see
@@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@ for details.

Content preview:  Hi JC ! On 05/16/2018 09:13 AM, Jeanette C. wrote: > Having
   listened to both of them, this actually sounds a bit like the > second piece
   a couple of minutes later on, once a modular wizard has had > his fun with
   the patch cables. :) I don't know why I think of > staircases, but I have
   a strange passion for staircases. > ... [...]

Content analysis details:   (5.0 points, 5.0 required)

 pts rule name              description
 0.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
                            [98.30.1.84 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
 1.3 RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL        RBL: Relay in RNBL,
                            https://senderscore.org/blacklistlookup/
                            [98.30.1.84 listed in bl.score.senderscore.com]
 3.6 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
                            [98.30.1.84 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
 1.3 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
-1.1 AWL                    AWL: Adjusted score from AWL reputation of From: address

Hi JC !

On 05/16/2018 09:13 AM, Jeanette C. wrote:

> Having listened to both of them, this actually sounds a bit like the
> second piece a couple of minutes later on, once a modular wizard has had
> his fun with the patch cables. :) I don't know why I think of
> staircases, but I have a strange passion for staircases.

Well, it all does sort of go up and then back down again. :)

The pieces are related by harmonic intention, I was checking out what
evolved with three modally related pitch quantizers. Also, each piece is
working with straightforward rhythms.

>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/faux-machaut
> Very meditative. Music to philosophise to or accompany a meditative
> scene. Nice, warm sounds, if rather basic. Mayhap because they are so
> basic, they induce comfort, a feeling of an old childhood home.
>
> Thanks for sharing those two. That was a pleasant ten minutes amidst the
> daily chores. A good escape into another world.

Thank you for listening to them. They are indeed in the category of
sonic wallpaper, but I want my walls to sound pleasant. :)

Best always,

Content preview:  Greetings ! On 05/16/2018 01:09 PM, jonetsu wrote: >> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/spiralonial
   > That one is nice. I would incorporate that into a 'real' piece. :) [...]

Content analysis details:   (5.2 points, 5.0 required)

 pts rule name              description
 0.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
                            [98.30.1.84 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
 1.3 RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL        RBL: Relay in RNBL,
                            https://senderscore.org/blacklistlookup/
                            [98.30.1.84 listed in bl.score.senderscore.com]
 3.6 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
                            [98.30.1.84 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
 1.3 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
-0.9 AWL                    AWL: Adjusted score from AWL reputation of From: address

Greetings !

On 05/16/2018 01:09 PM, jonetsu wrote:

>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/spiralonial
> That one is nice.  I would incorporate that into a 'real' piece. :)

I know what you mean. I'm building a library of sounds and quasi-pieces
created with Rack, at some point I'm likely to compose a piece built
from that collection.

> How does the sequencer work ?

It generates a 5-track sequence distributed to five output channels,
each of which has independent controls for length, "stride",
transposition, clock, et cetera. Btw, the track display is generated as
points traveling along five concentric circles. Interesting combinations
of points and their directions yield complex and often useful results.

>     Is it possible to say that the
> decisions are solely made from the emulation of electrical circuits,
> hence derived from the play of components and voltages ?

I'm not deeply into how closely Rack emulates a true CV system, but I
think your assessment is generally true. Some module devs use existing
circuits and schematics as emulation models or as starting points for a
new design.

> How much time did the setup took (connecting virtual wires and such) to
> produce this piece ?   How many wires were connected ?

I have a custom template file that includes the basic production setup.
Typically I just add instrument components as I need them, i.e.
oscillators, filters, submixers, et cetera.  I really can't say how long
I worked on the patch, I just worked on it until it started to sound
good to my ears, then I worked on it some more.

re: the wires. A lot. Dozens.

>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/faux-machaut
> Nice sounds and rhythm.  It has to fade away since it's pretty much
> static.
>
> One could say that 'Spiralonial' is also static, but perhaps by the use
> of the harmonies and rhythms, it does not come cross as much as 'Faux
> Machaut'.

Agreed. Spiralonial's harmonic formula is transposed occasionally, and
its rhythms are motoric. By comparison Faux Machaut meanders, though in
a pretty way, I think.

Best regards,

dp