Yoshimi, SubSynth, PadSynth, MIDI Learn

tom haddington
Hello, Listers--

I've successfully mapped two of my MIDI knobs to the filter's cutoff frequency controllers in both SubSynth and PadSynth.  The problem is that in neither of these engines does the sound change continuously.  The controller on the GUI moves when I twist the mapped MIDI knob, but I need to strike the key, again, to hear how the sound has changed.  Apparently, filter sweeps are not allowed in either of these engines?  This is not a problem in AddSynth.

Some further details:

OS:  Ubuntu Studio 18.04, LTS
Yoshimi:  1.7.4
Controller:  Akai MPK88

Have I missed something?  I will continue to search the manuals, lists, and other docs.

Thank you!
Tom

Re: Yoshimi, SubSynth, PadSynth, MIDI Learn

Lorenzo Sutton
On 05/02/21 17:04, tom haddington wrote:
> Hello, Listers--
>
> I've successfully mapped two of my MIDI knobs to the filter's cutoff
> frequency controllers in both SubSynth and PadSynth.  The problem is
> that in neither of these engines does the sound change continuously.
> The controller on the GUI moves when I twist the mapped MIDI knob, but I
> need to strike the key, again, to hear how the sound has changed.

IIRC you can't have continuous frequency / Q changes applied while the
note is on with SubSynth and PadSynth.

> Apparently, filter sweeps are not allowed in either of these engines?
> This is not a problem in AddSynth.

A way of achieving this kind of sweep would be to add an 'EQ' effect to
the instrument and MIDI automate the frequency (and/or Q) in the same
way you did it for the filter frequency (you need to select something
like a Low-pass of course...).

Hope this helps,

Lorenzo.

Re: Yoshimi, SubSynth, PadSynth, MIDI Learn

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 11:04:56 -0500
tom haddington <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello, Listers--
>
>I've successfully mapped two of my MIDI knobs to the filter's cutoff
>frequency controllers in both SubSynth and PadSynth.  The problem is that
>in neither of these engines does the sound change continuously.  The
>controller on the GUI moves when I twist the mapped MIDI knob, but I need
>to strike the key, again, to hear how the sound has changed.  Apparently,
>filter sweeps are not allowed in either of these engines?  This is not a
>problem in AddSynth.
>
>Some further details:
>
>OS:  Ubuntu Studio 18.04, LTS
>Yoshimi:  1.7.4
>Controller:  Akai MPK88
>
>Have I missed something?  I will continue to search the manuals, lists, and
>other docs.
>
>Thank you!
>Tom

You are absolutely right. I don't know what happened here. I'll pass it on to
the dev who did the work on these.
In the mean time, you can adjust the channel filter cutoff MIDI control (CC74)
Also (right click on the 'Controllers' button) this can be MIDI-learned as
well, giving you more control.
Finally, since V 1.7.2 aftertouch has been pretty stable, so it can be linked
here.

HTH

http://yoshimi.github.io

Re: Yoshimi, SubSynth, PadSynth, MIDI Learn

Will Godfrey
I've now heard back. This is in fact a bug.

The problem is known, but the dev was distracted by a particularly obscure bug
in another part of the code (now fixed).

We'll be able to turn our attention more fully to this now.

http://yoshimi.github.io

Re: Yoshimi, SubSynth, PadSynth, MIDI Learn

Will Godfrey
On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 21:46:01 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I've now heard back. This is in fact a bug.
>
>The problem is known, but the dev was distracted by a particularly obscure bug
>in another part of the code (now fixed).
>
>We'll be able to turn our attention more fully to this now.

I'm delighted to be able to tell you that this has been fixed in the current
build of 'master' :)

Some of Yoshimi's little band of helpers are seriously good :)

http://yoshimi.github.io