Zoom R16

Bob van der Poel-3
Just got a Zoom R16 last night. So, still reading the shit-awful
manual we expect from just about everything we get these days (sorry,
pet peeve!).

I did some googling and it seems that linux can read files as a mass
usb from the zoom, but not much more. Anyone with progress on this?

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: [hidden email]

Re: Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Bob van der Poel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just got a Zoom R16 last night. So, still reading the shit-awful
> manual we expect from just about everything we get these days (sorry,
> pet peeve!).
>
> I did some googling and it seems that linux can read files as a mass
> usb from the zoom, but not much more. Anyone with progress on this?

I have the Zoom R8, and about all I can do with it is mount as an
external drive. It would be cool to use it as a control surface with
Ardour (I think it can work like a Mackie surface), but getting the
USB interface to work with ALSA has been problematic:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg39181.html

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com

Re: Zoom R16

Bob van der Poel-3
> I have the Zoom R8, and about all I can do with it is mount as an
> external drive. It would be cool to use it as a control surface with
> Ardour (I think it can work like a Mackie surface), but getting the
> USB interface to work with ALSA has been problematic:

You must be googleing the same internet as I am :)

My little bit of testing here does leave me impressed. Sounds very
clean and appears to have a lot of options. Just a matter of putting
on my glasses and boring down into the various menus.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca

Re: Zoom R16

Jan Depner
On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:39 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> > I have the Zoom R8, and about all I can do with it is mount as an
> > external drive. It would be cool to use it as a control surface with
> > Ardour (I think it can work like a Mackie surface), but getting the
> > USB interface to work with ALSA has been problematic:
> >

> You must be googleing the same internet as I am :)
>
> My little bit of testing here does leave me impressed. Sounds very
> clean and appears to have a lot of options. Just a matter of putting
> on my glasses and boring down into the various menus.

    I've got two r16s (USB linked).  I only use my computer for mix down
and mastering.  The R16s mount fine under Linux.  I haven't had a need
to try it as a control surface and, since I can record 16 tracks live, I
haven't needed to try it as an interface.  It's so much more convenient
to go record wherever you need to than it is to drag people back to my
home "studio".  I record all of my band's gigs live using a direct out
per channel from the board into the R16s.  The gain is a bit touchy but
I can live with it.  Definitely worth the money.

Jan

Re: Zoom R16

Bob van der Poel-3
>    I've got two r16s (USB linked).  I only use my computer for mix down
> and mastering.  The R16s mount fine under Linux.  I haven't had a need
> to try it as a control surface and, since I can record 16 tracks live, I
> haven't needed to try it as an interface.  It's so much more convenient
> to go record wherever you need to than it is to drag people back to my
> home "studio".  I record all of my band's gigs live using a direct out
> per channel from the board into the R16s.  The gain is a bit touchy but
> I can live with it.  Definitely worth the money.

You say you have mounted the R16 under linux. How? I tried with my
laptop, which doesn't have a host port (the square one). I put the
supplied cable onto the R16 (square) to the computer (flat), but
didn't get anything happening.

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 15:04 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> >    I've got two r16s (USB linked).  I only use my computer for mix down
> > and mastering.  The R16s mount fine under Linux.  I haven't had a need
> > to try it as a control surface and, since I can record 16 tracks live, I
> > haven't needed to try it as an interface.  It's so much more convenient
> > to go record wherever you need to than it is to drag people back to my
> > home "studio".  I record all of my band's gigs live using a direct out
> > per channel from the board into the R16s.  The gain is a bit touchy but
> > I can live with it.  Definitely worth the money.
> >

> You say you have mounted the R16 under linux. How? I tried with my
> laptop, which doesn't have a host port (the square one). I put the
> supplied cable onto the R16 (square) to the computer (flat), but
> didn't get anything happening.

Little known fun fact - if the on/off switch is in the on position, even
though you don't have the power cable in or batteries in it, nothing
will happen when you attach it to the USB port.  Brilliant design!  If
it's switched off it should come up saying ">AUDIO INTERFACE".  Press
the right arrow to switch it to ">CARD READER" then press ENTER followed
by ENTER, and it should show up on your system.  There will be PROJnnn
directories where the AUDIO data will be stored.

Jan

Re: Zoom R16

Bob van der Poel-3
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Little known fun fact - if the on/off switch is in the on position, even
> though you don't have the power cable in or batteries in it, nothing
> will happen when you attach it to the USB port.  Brilliant design!  If
> it's switched off it should come up saying ">AUDIO INTERFACE".  Press
> the right arrow to switch it to ">CARD READER" then press ENTER followed
> by ENTER, and it should show up on your system.  There will be PROJnnn
> directories where the AUDIO data will be stored.

Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)

Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
<card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)

Nope.

For others as dumb as me:

1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
    or
    If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.

Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
to go back to <1>.

Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
directly in the computer :)

On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 16:08 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Little known fun fact - if the on/off switch is in the on position, even
> > though you don't have the power cable in or batteries in it, nothing
> > will happen when you attach it to the USB port.  Brilliant design!  If
> > it's switched off it should come up saying ">AUDIO INTERFACE".  Press
> > the right arrow to switch it to ">CARD READER" then press ENTER followed
> > by ENTER, and it should show up on your system.  There will be PROJnnn
> > directories where the AUDIO data will be stored.
>
> Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)
>
> Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
> connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
> <card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)
>
> Nope.
>
> For others as dumb as me:
>
> 1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
> 2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
> 3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
>     or
>     If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.
>
> Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
> to go back to <1>.
>
> Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
> directly in the computer :)

    Yeah, either way works.  For me it's just easier to make sure it's
off and then plug it in.  I found out about the on/off switch the hard
way.  I plugged it in one day and spent about 15 minutes trying to
figure out why it didn't show up like normal.  It was a Homer Simpson
moment.  DOH!  With two of these things I really have an easy time
recording my band - 5 vocal mics, 1 harmonica mic, 3 guitars, bass,
kick, snare, drum overhead, and I still have 3 inputs left!  There is,
as advertised, about a 2ms delay on the second unit but when I insert
the tracks into Ardour I can nudge the tracks from the second unit.

Re: Zoom R16

Kevin Cosgrove-2

On 15 March 2012 at 18:48, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 16:08 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Little known fun fact - if the on/off switch is in the on position, even
> > > though you don't have the power cable in or batteries in it, nothing
> > > will happen when you attach it to the USB port.  Brilliant design!  If
> > > it's switched off it should come up saying ">AUDIO INTERFACE".  Press
> > > the right arrow to switch it to ">CARD READER" then press ENTER followed
> > > by ENTER, and it should show up on your system.  There will be PROJnnn
> > > directories where the AUDIO data will be stored.
> >
> > Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)
> >
> > Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
> > connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
> > <card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > For others as dumb as me:
> >
> > 1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
> > 2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
> > 3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
> >     or
> >     If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.
> >
> > Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
> > to go back to <1>.
> >
> > Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
> > directly in the computer :)
> >

>     Yeah, either way works.  For me it's just easier to make sure it's
> off and then plug it in.  I found out about the on/off switch the hard
> way.  I plugged it in one day and spent about 15 minutes trying to
> figure out why it didn't show up like normal.  It was a Homer Simpson
> moment.  DOH!  With two of these things I really have an easy time
> recording my band - 5 vocal mics, 1 harmonica mic, 3 guitars, bass,
> kick, snare, drum overhead, and I still have 3 inputs left!  There is,
> as advertised, about a 2ms delay on the second unit

> but when I insert the tracks into Ardour I can nudge the tracks
> from the second unit.

What does that last statement mean?  Does that mean that when two
R16s are being operated that the 2nd of the two sort of, kind of,
works with Ardour?

Thanks...

--
Kevin

Re: Zoom R16

Kevin Cosgrove-2

On 15 March 2012 at 16:08, Bob van der Poel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Little known fun fact - if the on/off switch is in the on position, even
> > though you don't have the power cable in or batteries in it, nothing
> > will happen when you attach it to the USB port.  Brilliant design!  If
> > it's switched off it should come up saying ">AUDIO INTERFACE".  Press
> > the right arrow to switch it to ">CARD READER" then press ENTER followed
> > by ENTER, and it should show up on your system.  There will be PROJnnn
> > directories where the AUDIO data will be stored.
>
> Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)
>
> Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
> connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
> <card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)
>
> Nope.
>
> For others as dumb as me:
>
> 1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
> 2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
> 3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
>     or
>     If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.
>
> Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
> to go back to <1>.
>
> Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
> directly in the computer :)

Pulling the card is a good way to get data out of the unit.  But,
does it work as a control surface for Linux audio applications?

Thanks....

--
Kevin

Re: Zoom R16

Jan Depner
On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 00:15 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 15 March 2012 at 18:48, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)
> > >
> > > Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
> > > connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
> > > <card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)
> > >
> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > For others as dumb as me:
> > >
> > > 1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
> > > 2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
> > > 3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
> > >     or
> > >     If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.
> > >
> > > Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
> > > to go back to <1>.
> > >
> > > Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
> > > directly in the computer :)
> > >

> >     Yeah, either way works.  For me it's just easier to make sure it's
> > off and then plug it in.  I found out about the on/off switch the hard
> > way.  I plugged it in one day and spent about 15 minutes trying to
> > figure out why it didn't show up like normal.  It was a Homer Simpson
> > moment.  DOH!  With two of these things I really have an easy time
> > recording my band - 5 vocal mics, 1 harmonica mic, 3 guitars, bass,
> > kick, snare, drum overhead, and I still have 3 inputs left!  There is,
> > as advertised, about a 2ms delay on the second unit
>
> > but when I insert the tracks into Ardour I can nudge the tracks
> > from the second unit.
>
> What does that last statement mean?  Does that mean that when two
> R16s are being operated that the 2nd of the two sort of, kind of,
> works with Ardour?

    I read the tracks from the Zoom R16s as WAV files and insert them
into an Ardour session.  Since the two R16s are linked by USB when
recording there is a very small delay (about 2ms) on the slave R16.  You
can nudge the tracks from the second R16 to get them to line up exactly
with the tracks from the first R16.  In practice, it's very difficult to
detect the 2ms delay and you usually don't have to do anything to the
second set of tracks.

> Thanks...
>
> --
> Kevin

Re: Zoom R16

Kevin Cosgrove-2

On 17 March 2012 at 3:31, Jan Depner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> > > kick, snare, drum overhead, and I still have 3 inputs left!  There is,
> > > as advertised, about a 2ms delay on the second unit
> >
> > > but when I insert the tracks into Ardour I can nudge the tracks
> > > from the second unit.
> >
> > What does that last statement mean?  Does that mean that when two
> > R16s are being operated that the 2nd of the two sort of, kind of,
> > works with Ardour?
> >

>     I read the tracks from the Zoom R16s as WAV files and insert them
> into an Ardour session.  Since the two R16s are linked by USB when
> recording there is a very small delay (about 2ms) on the slave R16.  You
> can nudge the tracks from the second R16 to get them to line up exactly
> with the tracks from the first R16.  In practice, it's very difficult to
> detect the 2ms delay and you usually don't have to do anything to the
> second set of tracks.

OK, I get it.  The audio gets nudged in time in ardour.  My
wishful-thinking interpretation was that nudging the sliders on
the 2nd unit would work as a control.

Thanks for the clarification....

--
Kevin

Re: Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
Bob van der Poel <bob@...> writes:

Re-opening this thread...

> Just got a Zoom R16 last night. So, still reading the shit-awful
> manual we expect from just about everything we get these days (sorry,
> pet peeve!).
>
> I did some googling and it seems that linux can read files as a mass
> usb from the zoom, but not much more. Anyone with progress on this?

I was experimenting around with this some more today and discovered some
interesting things! I just tested with a Zoom R8 but assume the same will be
true for the R16.

1. I can use the device as a USB audio interface and it works with jack

2. It shows up as an Alsa MIDI device in the MIDI connection list (like in
qjackctl)

3. Connecting the MIDI ports to the mcu ports in Ardour works! I could start and
stop the transport in Ardour, for instance. I haven't test everything with it
yet, but this is a huge improvement!

Tested on Ubuntu Studio 12.04 (64-bit)

-- Brett

Re: Zoom R16

friz
Hi Brett,

I have a Zoom R16 and ubuntu 12.04 64bit like you,
but I can't find any driver for use R16 like audio-interface...
which driver you used to make it work with jack?