[admin] music.columbia.edu server downtime

[admin] music.columbia.edu server downtime

Jörn Nettingsmeier-6
hi everyone!

a happy new year to all folks on the gregorian calendar, and a generic
happy next 365 days to everyone else!

the music department at columbia university are taking the list server
down for an upgrade on the coming weekend, so expect interruptions for
linux-audio-dev, linux-audio-user and linux-audio-announce. you will
probably want to keep a copy of all the mails you send over the weekend,
so that you can re-send them in case they end up in the bit bucket.

let me take this opportunity to thank douglas irving repetto for many
years of painless hosting and friendly help, and the entire music dept.
for their generous donation of iron and bandwidth. kudos, guys!

rumor has it that the new list server will be an os x machine. hopefully
this will make the lists even more user-friendly and aesthetically
pleasing than before ;)

all the best,

jörn

Re: [linux-audio-dev] [admin] music.columbia.edu server downtime

Esben Stien
Joern Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]> writes:

> new list server will be an os x machine

Damn, such irony, in my opinion. I'd vote to bring it to savannah and
change the name to GNU/Linux Audio Developers;), same with the user
list.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m
          [sip|iax]:   e     e
           jid:b0ef@    n     n

Re: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [admin] music.columbia.edu server downtime

Lee Revell
On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 20:46 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> Joern Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > new list server will be an os x machine
>
> Damn, such irony, in my opinion. I'd vote to bring it to savannah and
> change the name to GNU/Linux Audio Developers;), same with the user
> list.

Yeah WTF?!?  Why OSX?  Linux isn't a good enough server platform?

Sorry I think that running LAD on an OSX machine is bullshit.

Lee

Re: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [admin] music.columbia.edu server downtime

Peder Hedlund
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

> > Joern Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > new list server will be an os x machine
>
> Yeah WTF?!?  Why OSX?  Linux isn't a good enough server platform?
>
> Sorry I think that running LAD on an OSX machine is bullshit.
>
> Lee

 So Linux is a good platform to run a list server off, but BSD isn't?
 Remember OSX underlying system (Darwin) is basically a modified
 (and Open SOurce) FreeBSD.

 Now, had they been talking about that other OS I perhaps could've
 agreed.

 - Peder

Re: music.columbia.edu server downtime

Arnold Krille
2006/1/3, Joern Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]>:
> the music department at columbia university are taking the list server
> down for an upgrade on the coming weekend, so expect interruptions for
> linux-audio-dev, linux-audio-user and linux-audio-announce. you will
> probably want to keep a copy of all the mails you send over the weekend,
> so that you can re-send them in case they end up in the bit bucket.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/10/15/the_bofh_questionnaire_how_geeky/
the seventh question is about the next weekend and determines wether
you are a geek or not...

Arnold

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/
---
einen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.

Peder Hedlund <[hidden email]> writes:

>  Linux is [..] good [..] but BSD (OSX) isn't?

It really has everything to do with freedom, in my opinion. OSX is a
proprietary platform with a public domain licensed kernel.

It also has nothing to do with what's better, as far as I'm concerned.

By using it, in any manner, I think, is the wrong message to send from
a community centered around freedom, as I see it.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m