anybody using seq24 for live performances?

anybody using seq24 for live performances?

charles thorley
hey all.  i'm considering picking up a cheap (new)
laptop and running seq24 and a sampler on it, and
slaving some outboard modules, for a live p.a.
solution (as in dance/electronic/techno live
production).  it looks cool enough from the homepage,
but i've found very little reference to it elsewhere
on the net, and nothing that really addresses it's
strengths and weaknesses in a live setting based on
real-world experience.  it looks like the guy that
wrote it uses it for this, but he doesn't talk about
it much on the site.  alternatively, i might pick up
an akai mpc1000 for my live sequencer - i definitely
like gear, although i'm not bent on it.  if i thought
that seq24 could more or less do what it does, that's
the route that i'd go down, methinks.  i've got an rme
hammerfall multiface, so i'm not concerned about
getting sound out of it (although, recommendations for
a laptop that would work with the hammerfall cardbus
would also be most welcome).

thanks much!

- charles

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Re: anybody using seq24 for live performances?

Dave Phillips
charles thorley wrote:

>hey all.  i'm considering picking up a cheap (new)
>laptop and running seq24 and a sampler on it, and
>slaving some outboard modules, for a live p.a.
>solution (as in dance/electronic/techno live
>production).  it looks cool enough from the homepage,
>but i've found very little reference to it elsewhere
>on the net, and nothing that really addresses it's
>strengths and weaknesses in a live setting based on
>real-world experience.  it looks like the guy that
>wrote it uses it for this, but he doesn't talk about
>it much on the site.  alternatively, i might pick up
>an akai mpc1000 for my live sequencer - i definitely
>like gear, although i'm not bent on it.  if i thought
>that seq24 could more or less do what it does, that's
>the route that i'd go down, methinks.  i've got an rme
>hammerfall multiface, so i'm not concerned about
>getting sound out of it (although, recommendations for
>a laptop that would work with the hammerfall cardbus
>would also be most welcome).

I haven't worked with it in a live setting, but I'll testify to its
utility and stability. You might spend an hour or two getting familiar
with its commands and interface, but it's a very straightforward program.

Btw, it's a MIDI-only app, so you'll want to be able to connect it to
outboard gear or softsynths. Or both... :)

Best,

dp

Re: anybody using seq24 for live performances?

charles thorley
thanks dave!  i read your article in linuxjournal
about seq24, which was one of the things that got me
interested in it.  i'm hoping to get in touch with
some people who have been using it for playing out,
but even in the absence of feedback like that, i'm
leaning towards seq24 right now (as opposed to a
hardware sequencer).

i read a comment...

http://unit-e.cc/knowledge/index.php?id=MidiSequencers

...that suggested that it's lacking as a drumseq.  i'm
not sure what would make it better for
bass/melody/etc. than drums (as the writer suggests) -
any thoughts on the matter?

-c

--- Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> charles thorley wrote:
>
> >hey all.  i'm considering picking up a cheap (new)
> >laptop and running seq24 and a sampler on it, and
> >slaving some outboard modules, for a live p.a.
> >solution (as in dance/electronic/techno live
> >production).  it looks cool enough from the
> homepage,
> >but i've found very little reference to it
> elsewhere
> >on the net, and nothing that really addresses it's
> >strengths and weaknesses in a live setting based on
> >real-world experience.  it looks like the guy that
> >wrote it uses it for this, but he doesn't talk
> about
> >it much on the site.  alternatively, i might pick
> up
> >an akai mpc1000 for my live sequencer - i
> definitely
> >like gear, although i'm not bent on it.  if i
> thought
> >that seq24 could more or less do what it does,
> that's
> >the route that i'd go down, methinks.  i've got an
> rme
> >hammerfall multiface, so i'm not concerned about
> >getting sound out of it (although, recommendations
> for
> >a laptop that would work with the hammerfall
> cardbus
> >would also be most welcome).
> >

> I haven't worked with it in a live setting, but I'll
> testify to its
> utility and stability. You might spend an hour or
> two getting familiar
> with its commands and interface, but it's a very
> straightforward program.
>
> Btw, it's a MIDI-only app, so you'll want to be able
> to connect it to
> outboard gear or softsynths. Or both... :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Re: anybody using seq24 for live performances?

Loki Davison
On 1/3/06, charles thorley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks dave!  i read your article in linuxjournal
> about seq24, which was one of the things that got me
> interested in it.  i'm hoping to get in touch with
> some people who have been using it for playing out,
> but even in the absence of feedback like that, i'm
> leaning towards seq24 right now (as opposed to a
> hardware sequencer).
>
> i read a comment...
>
> http://unit-e.cc/knowledge/index.php?id=MidiSequencers
>
> ...that suggested that it's lacking as a drumseq.  i'm
> not sure what would make it better for
> bass/melody/etc. than drums (as the writer suggests) -
> any thoughts on the matter?
>
> -c

I think it's a very usable sequencer for everything. I use it for drum
stuff in preference to anything else, with smack.
http://smack.berlios.de I use it that way for both live use and
non-live production. Though live use has so far been limited to just
playing alone or small shows to go with talks about smack. I think
most of the om-synth crowd use seq24. I think the problem they are
suggesting for drum is that there is no drum map i.e notes don't say
what they are unlike hydrogen. This really has never been a problem
for me.

Loki

Re: anybody using seq24 for live performances?

Carlo Capocasa
Hi there!

Although I don't feel ready yet to go out and play gigs I have used
seq24 for hours on end practicing at home and it's a pretty cool
sequencer. For live tricks the downside is having to use a mouse which
can get a bit fudgy, but aside of that it works fine.

Carlo

Re: Re: anybody using seq24 for live performances?

Paul Coccoli
On 1/10/06, Carlo Capocasa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Although I don't feel ready yet to go out and play gigs I have used
> seq24 for hours on end practicing at home and it's a pretty cool
> sequencer. For live tricks the downside is having to use a mouse which
> can get a bit fudgy, but aside of that it works fine.
>
> Carlo

You do know that you can trigger loops using the keyboard, right?  To
me, that seems like the best way to use it.  Now if I could only write
some loops...