best way to start jack

Robert Carter

Hi Everyone,

I’m using qjackctl but it does not seem to be starting jackd and i’m getting errors in the log like:

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

What is the best configuration for qjackctl so that it always reliably starts the audio server?

Best
Rob

Re: best way to start jack

Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:04:24 +1200, Robert Carter wrote:
>What is the best configuration for qjackctl so that it always reliably
>starts the audio server?

Hi,

what is your current "configuration" and for what purpose do you use
the install? Usually I launch jackd hassle-free by a script or
by an application like Ardour, but sometimes I start it using qjackctl,
always without any hiccups, too.

I'm not using jackdbus and pulseaudio is even not installed
on any of my systems.

Perhaps you try to start jack, while pulseaudio already grabbed the
device or if you should run a "keep it simple" set-up as I do, you maybe
launched a browser using the audio device, before you started jack.

In short, the issue unlikely is related to the qjackctl configuration.
The issue much likely is caused by the configuration of your system,
conflicting with the desired usage.

To solve the issue instead of guessing how to solve it, we need more
information, at least the complete output of jack.

However, using pulseaudio and jack at the same time at best is only
useful in exceptional circumstances, so assuming you should use both
sound servers, consider to stop pulseaudio or to use a bridge.

If you should use a set-up without running pluseaudio and you e.g.
started a browser using the audio device, before you launched qjackctl
to start jack, don't do it this way.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: best way to start jack

Jeremy Jongepier
Hello Rob,

> I’m using qjackctl but it does not seem to be starting jackd and i’m getting errors in the log like:
>
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
>
> What is the best configuration for qjackctl so that it always reliably starts the audio server?

The defaults should work. But what kind of audio interface are you
using? And could you post the full output of jackd when you start it? If
possible with "Verbose messages" ticked.

Best,

Jeremy

Re: best way to start jack

Daniel Swärd
On Sun, 2017-09-17 at 16:04 +1200, Robert Carter wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’m using qjackctl but it does not seem to be starting jackd and i’m getting
> errors in the log like:
>
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
>
> What is the best configuration for qjackctl so that it always reliably starts
> the audio server?

I use cadence from KXStudio. By installing the KXStudio extensions, everything
just works...

Also, you then have jack permanently running and pulseaudio is bridging normal
apps to jack.

        /Daniel