calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

bdutta
Hi,

Had a great time playing around with calf-plugins and doing some live vocals (except the few rare xruns that still do trouble me). However, I noticed that while 'Reverb', 'Chorus did not have a byepass button, few other ones did. What gives ?

Also when a signal is bypassed, does the overall signal-chain latency drop (because DSP overheads drop) ?

--
regards,
Banibrata Dutta

Max

Re: calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

Max
Are you sure you are using an up-to-date calf suite?
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/122

On 16.10.19 14:23, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Had a great time playing around with calf-plugins and doing some live
> vocals (except the few rare xruns that still do trouble me). However, I
> noticed that while 'Reverb', 'Chorus did not have a byepass button, few
> other ones did. What gives ?

Re: calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

bdutta
Thanks Max, that helps. I do have the on/off switch, but I was expecting something labelled 'byepass'.
The explanation says:
     You can't bypass a reverb since the effect is added to the dry signal. That's the reason why there's the "active" switch.

However, I am unable to wrap my head around it. Hardware Reverb pedals have a byepass switch. The effect itself cannot (or should not) be able to tell if it's input is dry or wet. Why does it even matter ?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM Max <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you sure you are using an up-to-date calf suite?
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/122

On 16.10.19 14:23, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Had a great time playing around with calf-plugins and doing some live
> vocals (except the few rare xruns that still do trouble me). However, I
> noticed that while 'Reverb', 'Chorus did not have a byepass button, few
> other ones did. What gives ?

Re: calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

bdutta
And sorry about misspelling the word: 'bypass'.
Forgot to state that I am on Lubuntu 19.04, with calf-plugins installed from official repo, this morning so should be pretty recent.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:50 PM Banibrata Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Max, that helps. I do have the on/off switch, but I was expecting something labelled 'byepass'.
The explanation says:
     You can't bypass a reverb since the effect is added to the dry signal. That's the reason why there's the "active" switch.

However, I am unable to wrap my head around it. Hardware Reverb pedals have a byepass switch. The effect itself cannot (or should not) be able to tell if it's input is dry or wet. Why does it even matter ?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM Max <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you sure you are using an up-to-date calf suite?
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/122

On 16.10.19 14:23, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Had a great time playing around with calf-plugins and doing some live
> vocals (except the few rare xruns that still do trouble me). However, I
> noticed that while 'Reverb', 'Chorus did not have a byepass button, few
> other ones did. What gives ?

Re: calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

David Adler
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 05:53:09PM +0530, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> Also when a signal is bypassed, does the overall signal-chain latency drop
> (because DSP overheads drop) ?

No. Processing latency is solely determined by settings of jack,
the entire signal chain is processed within the timeframe thus
set.  If the CPU can't cope then xruns will occur, if it can easily
cope it'll just sit idle (wrt audio processing) for a moment until
the next round.

 -david

Re: calf-plugins: why only few have 'byepass' button ?

bdutta
Okay, thanks, understood.