Quantcast

[desktop] volume-control dockapp?

wmix, wmmixer, and wmsmixer: portage's short description claims all 3 support ALSA. one fails on "XpmError: XpmOpenFailed (.1986-2)" and the others fail on "no such device /dev/mixer", while -d hw:0,0(,0) just sends them for a loop

gnome-panel has the perfect volume control, but then gnome-settings-daemon launches and screws up all the fonts, not to mention chews 15 or 30 mb of ram. and when you kill gnome-settings-daemon, the volume control button _disappears_ from the panel, while the other stuff stays

in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?

Re: [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

listreader-2
carmen wrote:
> in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?

AlsaMixer.app works quite well.
I built it from source on slackware 10.2.

I start it with:
"AlsaMixer.app -3 Master -2 PCM -1 Headphone"
in my .xinitrc
(Those string correspond to what you would see below
  the sliders in the console alsamixer util.)

Its cool because the mouse wheel will move the "default" slider
when you mouse over it.

paul w

Re: [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

Jouni Rinne
carmen kirjoitti:
> gnome-settings-daemon launches and screws up all the fonts

And everything else, including mouse-settings...

> in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?

I run gkrellm in the slit, and use the gkrellm-volume plugin

JR

--
| me@home ~$whoami            ^ ^  | "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" |
| Jouni 'Mad Max' Rinne      ('x') | - Sledge Hammer                    |
| me@home ~$man woman       C " "  | -------[ph34r t3h p3Ngu1n]-------- |
| Segmentation fault (core dumped) | l33tmmx at sci dot fi              |

Re: [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

Glauber Alex Dias Prado-3
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 03:00 -0400, paul wisehart wrote:

> carmen wrote:
> > in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?
> >

> AlsaMixer.app works quite well.
> I built it from source on slackware 10.2.
>
> I start it with:
> "AlsaMixer.app -3 Master -2 PCM -1 Headphone"
> in my .xinitrc
> (Those string correspond to what you would see below
>   the sliders in the console alsamixer util.)
>

> Its cool because the mouse wheel will move the "default" slider
> when you mouse over it.
>
> --
> paul w

i dont know if they are using the oss emulation ill check it but they
works. Here on fluxbox i can work with wmsmixer ,aumix, alsamixer and
mixer2005 from the heroine guys, and they work quite well
out of the box for me, check .asoundrc for your user.

Re: [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

Brian Dunn-4
carmen wrote:
> wmix, wmmixer, and wmsmixer: portage's short description claims all 3 support ALSA. one fails on "XpmError: XpmOpenFailed (.1986-2)" and the others fail on "no such device /dev/mixer", while -d hw:0,0(,0) just sends them for a loop
>
> gnome-panel has the perfect volume control, but then gnome-settings-daemon launches and screws up all the fonts, not to mention chews 15 or 30 mb of ram. and when you kill gnome-settings-daemon, the volume control button _disappears_ from the panel, while the other stuff stays
>
> in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?

I use keyboard shortcuts for volume control in fluxbox. take a look at this:
http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_keys_file

if you want some visual feedback on your mixer, you can set up a
keyboard shortcut to launch good ole' alsamixer. something like

Mod4 m :Exec xterm -e alsamixer

here is the ~/.fluxbox/keys file i'm using on my laptop.

Mod4 t :exec aterm
Mod4 space :ShowDesktop
Mod4 x :ExecCommand xmmsXclip
Mod4 e :exec printenv | xmessage -file -
Mod4 Print :ExecCommand gnome-screenshot

none XF86AudioMute :exec amixer sset Master toggle
none XF86AudioLowerVolume :exec amixer sset Master 1-
none XF86AudioRaiseVolume :exec amixer sset Master 1+
none XF86WWW :exec firefox

Mod4 m :exec xterm -e alsamixer

The pretty little volume up, volume down keys work, thanks to the gentoo
wiki.

/brian

Re: [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

Frank Barknecht
Hallo,
Brian Dunn hat gesagt: // Brian Dunn wrote:

> carmen wrote:
> >wmix, wmmixer, and wmsmixer: portage's short description claims all 3
> >support ALSA. one fails on "XpmError: XpmOpenFailed (.1986-2)" and the
> >others fail on "no such device /dev/mixer", while -d hw:0,0(,0) just sends
> >them for a loop
> >gnome-panel has the perfect volume control, but then gnome-settings-daemon
> >launches and screws up all the fonts, not to mention chews 15 or 30 mb of
> >ram. and when you kill gnome-settings-daemon, the volume control button
> >_disappears_ from the panel, while the other stuff stays
> >
> >in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?
> >

> I use keyboard shortcuts for volume control in fluxbox. take a look at this:
> http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_keys_file

Another solution can be hotkeys:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/hotkeys

It catches events from special keys on many keyboards and starts
user-defined programs. It also can set the mixer and displays a nice
volume slider as an on-screen-display-bar (OSD). Unfortunatly it
seems, this is hardcoded to use the old OSS-mixer interface so it
won't work with for example the M-Audio Audiophile that I have in my
main machine but I'm using hotkeys on my laptop.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__