how to record on sb live (low recording levels)

how to record on sb live (low recording levels)

Erik Steffl
   I've been playing with it quite a lot but it's pretty elusive, can
somebody shed som light on how to record using sb live platinum
liveDrive (front panel). I can get it to record but the levels are very
low (vu meter goes to about 25%), even when I put the slider to max. I
have the same problem with mic and phono pre-amp.

   at one point I was able to make it record with 'normal' loudness so I
guess it's possible but I wasn't able to figure out how I did it that
one time :-(

   I was using alsmixer to set the recording levels and sources (was
playing with both capture and playback controls)

   Not sure if it matter but when I set playback for liveDrive line2 the
output goes to speakers with 'normal' loudness (i.e. a lot louder than
what is being recorded).

   this is on debian unstable using alsa in kernel 2.6.11,
/proc/asound/version says Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
Version 1.0.8 (Thu Jan 13 09:39:32 2005 UTC).

   any ideas? TIA!

        erik

Re: how to record on sb live (low recording levels)

Lee Revell
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 18:02 -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:

>    I've been playing with it quite a lot but it's pretty elusive, can
> somebody shed som light on how to record using sb live platinum
> liveDrive (front panel). I can get it to record but the levels are very
> low (vu meter goes to about 25%), even when I put the slider to max. I
> have the same problem with mic and phono pre-amp.
>
>    at one point I was able to make it record with 'normal' loudness so I
> guess it's possible but I wasn't able to figure out how I did it that
> one time :-(
>
>    I was using alsmixer to set the recording levels and sources (was
> playing with both capture and playback controls)
>
>    Not sure if it matter but when I set playback for liveDrive line2 the
> output goes to speakers with 'normal' loudness (i.e. a lot louder than
> what is being recorded).
>
>    this is on debian unstable using alsa in kernel 2.6.11,
> /proc/asound/version says Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
> Version 1.0.8 (Thu Jan 13 09:39:32 2005 UTC).

Try a new ALSA, lots of bugs have been fixed since 1.0.8.

Lee