jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

Stephan Bourgeois
Hi there,

I have been tinkering with Steve Harris' meterbridge 0.9.2 for jack.
cf. https://github.com/stephanb2/jack-meterbridge

1. Refactored global variables so that the code builds on Debian 9.2.
2. Improved (?) the dpm IEC scale and ballistics.
3. Changed the PPM ballistics to use Fons Adriaensen's JMeters algorithm.

I do however have a deeper question: what is the point of jack meterbridge?
Given that the broadcast and podcast industry has moved to EBU-R128 and
Ebumeter offers EBU R-128 metering. JMeters offers "nostalgia" PPM and VU
meters with correct ballistics, more options, better graphics. The only
thing missing would be a 4x oversampling true peak meter.

Should meterbridge be maintained or should another metering app de bundled
with jack?

Note that I am not a C engineer, my background is Java and Python. Please
send code review comments and shout if you see anything horrific.

Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Stephan.

--
Sent from: http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/linux-audio-dev-f58952.html

Re: jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

Robin Gareus
On 7/29/19 8:21 PM, Stephan Bourgeois wrote:

> The only thing missing would be a 4x oversampling true peak meter.
https://github.com/x42/meters.lv2/ also comes with a jack app.

ciao,
robin

Re: jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

Robin Gareus
On 7/29/19 8:21 PM, Stephan Bourgeois wrote:

> Should meterbridge be maintained or should another metering app de bundled
> with jack?

Given that jack is cross-platform and meterbridge is a X11 application
it's not very likely to be bundled with jack itself.

The main use-case for meterbridge is the dpm mode with many channels to
check input activity.

You may also want to have a look at
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-dev/2012-June/032475.html
- the debian package applied this, but it never reached upstream, it's
likely not relevant after your re-work either.

Cheers!
robin

Re: jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 11:21:39 -0700 (MST)
Stephan Bourgeois <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have been tinkering with Steve Harris' meterbridge 0.9.2 for jack.
>cf. https://github.com/stephanb2/jack-meterbridge
>
>1. Refactored global variables so that the code builds on Debian 9.2.
>2. Improved (?) the dpm IEC scale and ballistics.
>3. Changed the PPM ballistics to use Fons Adriaensen's JMeters algorithm.
>
>I do however have a deeper question: what is the point of jack meterbridge?
>Given that the broadcast and podcast industry has moved to EBU-R128 and
>Ebumeter offers EBU R-128 metering. JMeters offers "nostalgia" PPM and VU
>meters with correct ballistics, more options, better graphics. The only
>thing missing would be a 4x oversampling true peak meter.
>
>Should meterbridge be maintained or should another metering app de bundled
>with jack?
>
>Note that I am not a C engineer, my background is Java and Python. Please
>send code review comments and shout if you see anything horrific.
>
>Let me know your thoughts.
>Cheers,
>Stephan.

I use it all the time. It is simple, clear and runs well in a standalone
environment. It also acts as a useful summing point. One's ears are the final
arbiter but this is very helpful.

I will check out your build as soon as I have some free time (whatever that is!)

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.

Re: jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

Jörn Nettingsmeier-5
On 7/29/19 8:44 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:

> On 7/29/19 8:21 PM, Stephan Bourgeois wrote:
>
>> Should meterbridge be maintained or should another metering app de bundled
>> with jack?
>
> Given that jack is cross-platform and meterbridge is a X11 application
> it's not very likely to be bundled with jack itself.
>
> The main use-case for meterbridge is the dpm mode with many channels to
> check input activity.
>
> You may also want to have a look at
> https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-dev/2012-June/032475.html
> - the debian package applied this, but it never reached upstream, it's
> likely not relevant after your re-work either.

A better candidate to be bundled with JACK would be
https://github.com/njh/jackmeter (although I tend to prefer jack_capture
/dev/null, b/c it does multiple channels). A simple command line meter
for troubleshooting would be great. But ballistics are of secondary
importance, this is more to check if it's alive. That also means it
should go down to -100dB or so.

That said, a "signal present" indicator would help in all patchbay
applications such as patchage and qjackctl (switchable of course to not
waste resources when not needed).

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net