jack-rack amplifier gain

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jack-rack amplifier gain

John Murphy
I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
there refer to?

Thanks again.

--
John.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jack-rack amplifier gain

Rob Fell-2
On 21/04/2020 15:41, John Murphy wrote:
> I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
> should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
> there refer to?

Assuming it really is "gain" and my brain isn't totally fried - you
should use "2".


I.e. 10^(6/20) = 2


HTH

R
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jack-rack amplifier gain

John Murphy
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 16:34:07 +0100 Rob wrote:

> On 21/04/2020 15:41, John Murphy wrote:
> > I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
> > should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
> > there refer to?  
>
> Assuming it really is "gain" and my brain isn't totally fried - you
> should use "2".
>
>
> I.e. 10^(6/20) = 2
>
>
> HTH
>
It helps. Thank you.

Using the slider 2.025 seems to be preferred around there, which
looks about right. Near enough anyway :)

--
John. I now understand QjackCtl Patchbay! Thanks to Simon W. Fielding
https://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jack-rack amplifier gain

Christopher Arndt
In reply to this post by John Murphy
Am 21.04.20 um 16:41 schrieb John Murphy:
> I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
> should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
> there refer to?

I just uploaded a stereo gain plugin to our collection of simple example
plugins for the DPF framework.

This plugin uses dB as the gain paramter unit, has parameter smoothing
(i.e. no clicks when automating it) and compiles to LV2, LADSPA, and
VST2 format.

https://github.com/osamc-lv2-workshop/stereogain


Chris
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jack-rack amplifier gain

John Murphy
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 00:17:45 +0200 Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Am 21.04.20 um 16:41 schrieb John Murphy:
> > I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
> > should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
> > there refer to?  
>
> I just uploaded a stereo gain plugin to our collection of simple example
> plugins for the DPF framework.
>
> This plugin uses dB as the gain paramter unit, has parameter smoothing
> (i.e. no clicks when automating it) and compiles to LV2, LADSPA, and
> VST2 format.
>
> https://github.com/osamc-lv2-workshop/stereogain

That's perfect! Thank you. The value I was using for Gain in the
'Stereo Amplifier' turned out to be too much by about 2 or 3 dB.

--
John.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jack-rack amplifier gain

John Murphy
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:28:22 +0100 John Murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 00:17:45 +0200 Christopher Arndt wrote:
>
> > Am 21.04.20 um 16:41 schrieb John Murphy:  
> > > I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
> > > should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
> > > there refer to?    
> >
> > I just uploaded a stereo gain plugin to our collection of simple example
> > plugins for the DPF framework.
> >
> > This plugin uses dB as the gain paramter unit, has parameter smoothing
> > (i.e. no clicks when automating it) and compiles to LV2, LADSPA, and
> > VST2 format.
> >
> > https://github.com/osamc-lv2-workshop/stereogain 
>
> That's perfect! Thank you. The value I was using for Gain in the
> 'Stereo Amplifier' turned out to be too much by about 2 or 3 dB.
>
But 6dB boost was again too much. I started wondering if Windows
decibels are different to Linux ones, as I'd previously used 6dB
boost there. I booted to that OS and found the source I record
is louder now, by about 4dB. I'd written to my favourite DJ at
the station and mentioned they were a bit quiet overall and it
seems they've fixed it, which is great. Fifty minutes into the
show and 'ebumeter' suggests they could hardly be closer to spot on.
Unlike the next channel up which is stupid loud.

Thanks for that meter Fons.

--
John.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user