launch-step: a step sequencer for Novation Launchpads

launch-step: a step sequencer for Novation Launchpads

Kaspar Emanuel
Hey all,

I wrote a MIDI step sequencer for the old Novation Launchpads. It has quite a few different scales (thanks to the tonal package on NPM), let's you change the sequence length on the fly and set lower velocities by holding down the pads.

Demo: https://youtu.be/dS_x-FioqHM

Code and installation instructions: https://github.com/kasbah/launch-step

Cheers,

Kaspar

Re: launch-step: a step sequencer for Novation Launchpads

Christopher Arndt
Am 21.05.2017 um 02:36 schrieb Kaspar Emanuel:
> I wrote a MIDI step sequencer for the old Novation Launchpads.

Very cool. Will there be (written) documentation on functions and how to
use it?

> let's you [...] set lower velocities by holding down the pads.

That's a cool idea! I'd like to try out how this feels in practice.

Chris

Re: launch-step: a step sequencer for Novation Launchpads

Kaspar Emanuel
Thanks Chris, right now the buttons are:

- Up - Navigate one screen up towards higher notes
- Down - Navigate one screen down (lower notes)
- Left - Decrease number of steps by one
- Right - Increase number of steps by one
- Session - Reset the entire session (deleting everything)
- User1 - Reset the cursor to the start of the sequence (and reset the
clock if an internal clock is used)

The rest of the special buttons are not used yet (can you think up
anything you'd like to do with them?). One thing I am thinking of
doing is having separate sequences per MIDI channel, maybe allow
reconfiguring the buttons and channels with a config file.

>> let's you [...] set lower velocities by holding down the pads.
>That's a cool idea! I'd like to try out how this feels in practice.

Well, the downside is it takes a lot of time to set notes of lower
velocity and it's quite hard to hit particular velocity. The LEDs on
the launchpad can't fade properly, you can only set three brightness
levels so they don't indicate the velocity properly either. But it's
better than having everything at full velocity all the time.

On 21 May 2017 at 11:18, Christopher Arndt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 21.05.2017 um 02:36 schrieb Kaspar Emanuel:
>> I wrote a MIDI step sequencer for the old Novation Launchpads.
>
> Very cool. Will there be (written) documentation on functions and how to
> use it?
>
>> let's you [...] set lower velocities by holding down the pads.
>
> That's a cool idea! I'd like to try out how this feels in practice.
>

> Chris

Re: launch-step: a step sequencer for Novation Launchpads

Georg Krause
Am 21.05.2017 um 14:51 schrieb Kaspar Emanuel:
> The rest of the special buttons are not used yet (can you think up
> anything you'd like to do with them?). One thing I am thinking of
> doing is having separate sequences per MIDI channel, maybe allow
> reconfiguring the buttons and channels with a config file.

I really like the concept of your software but i could take a closer
look at it, i just enjoyed the video yet ;)
I think the idea to add an config file would be pretty cool and is a
great possibility to make the hole program independend from the
launchpad. I own a apc mini which has an similiar layout and it would be
pretty nice to use it, too.

Of course you developed the software for your hardware and i dont know
if it is planned to support other devices, but i can offer my help by
testing with my apc mini.

Thank you a lot for sharing you work anyway!

~Georg

Re: launch-step: a step sequencer for Novation Launchpads

Kaspar Emanuel

Expanding it to other hardware is not really planned unless someone contributes the code or I get something new bit of kit myself that would be suitable. I mainly made this as I found that there were libs on NPM that I could kind of just plug together. There doesn’t seem to be a good lib on NPM for the APC Mini (there is this but I wouldn’t know how to reuse it, though the application http://loopjs.com/ looks quite interesting too).