low fidelity, long duration recording

Kevin Cosgrove

Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very low
fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated by sound.
It'd be even better if rather than recording that much silence, that
the recorder would only record to hard drive when there was sound
present.  What recording software would be good for either task?

Thanks!

--
Kevin

Re: low fidelity, long duration recording

Greg Wilder
On Thursday 29 December 2005 13:34, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very low
> fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated by sound.
> It'd be even better if rather than recording that much silence, that
> the recorder would only record to hard drive when there was sound
> present.  What recording software would be good for either task?

PD is perfect for this kind of task.  It would be fairly easy to build a patch
that monitored input level and recorded only above a certain threshold.

Re: low fidelity, long duration recording

Ismael Valladolid Torres-3
Kevin Cosgrove escribe:
> Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very low
> fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated by sound.
> It'd be even better if rather than recording that much silence, that
> the recorder would only record to hard drive when there was sound
> present.  What recording software would be good for either task?

An ambient composer or rather a spy? }:)

Cordially, Ismael
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

On 29 December 2005 at 23:55, Ismael Valladolid Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very low
> > fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated by sound.
> > It'd be even better if rather than recording that much silence, that
> > the recorder would only record to hard drive when there was sound
> > present.  What recording software would be good for either task?
>
> An ambient composer or rather a spy? }:)

I'm spying on myself trying to correlate snoring with waking up
unrested.  We'll have to see how well the CD sells.  ZZZzzzz.....

On 29 December 2005 at 14:59, Greg Wilder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 29 December 2005 13:34, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very
> > low fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated
> > by sound.  It'd be even better if rather than recording that
> > much silence, that the recorder would only record to hard
> > drive when there was sound present.  What recording software
> > would be good for either task?
>
> PD is perfect for this kind of task.  It would be fairly easy
> to build a patch that monitored input level and recorded only
> above a certain threshold.

I've ready about PD in Linux Journal.  It seems quite obtuse to me.
I think I stared at a tutorial somewhere once and got a bit put off.
Where's a good place for someone like me to look to get acquainted
with enough of PD to accomplish this task?

Thanks...

On Friday 30 December 2005 01:36, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 29 December 2005 at 14:59, Greg Wilder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 December 2005 13:34, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > > Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very
> > > low fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated
> > > by sound.  It'd be even better if rather than recording that
> > > much silence, that the recorder would only record to hard
> > > drive when there was sound present.  What recording software
> > > would be good for either task?
> >
> > PD is perfect for this kind of task.  It would be fairly easy
> > to build a patch that monitored input level and recorded only
> > above a certain threshold.
>
> I've ready about PD in Linux Journal.  It seems quite obtuse to me.
> I think I stared at a tutorial somewhere once and got a bit put off.
> Where's a good place for someone like me to look to get acquainted
> with enough of PD to accomplish this task?

There's a large and very supportive community around PD:
http://pure-data.iem.at/community/

Outside of that, I'd suggest having a look at the dozens of tutorial and
example files included with the release.  Given what you're looking to do, it
should be fairly simple to pull together a patch from pre-existing examples.

On 30 December 2005 at 17:48, Greg Wilder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I've ready about PD in Linux Journal.  It seems quite obtuse to me.
> > I think I stared at a tutorial somewhere once and got a bit put off.
> > Where's a good place for someone like me to look to get acquainted
> > with enough of PD to accomplish this task?
>
> There's a large and very supportive community around PD:
> http://pure-data.iem.at/community/
>
> Outside of that, I'd suggest having a look at the dozens of tutorial and
> example files included with the release.  Given what you're looking to do, it
> should be fairly simple to pull together a patch from pre-existing examples.

Encouraging news like that gives me optimism to forge on into the
PD arena.  Thanks muchly...

--
Kevin