[music] the relief

Benoît Rouits
Hello dear list,

After some silence here, i just wrote this little tune* called
"The Relief", it is dedicated to the LAU. I hope you will enjoy it!

As i use to write unfinished short tunes, this falls into this
category too. So, don't feel frustrated at the end, i told you.

It only lasts 3 minutes. I used musescore with the Salamander SFZ piano,
Sonatina double bass, and yoshimi with classical ImpossibleDream patch.
I recorded it with qjackrcd, orchestrated by qjackctl.

Thank you for listening !

[*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg

Re: [music] the relief

Dave Phillips
Hi Ben !

On 05/23/2017 06:53 PM, Benoît Rouits wrote:

> Hello dear list,
>
> After some silence here, i just wrote this little tune* called
> "The Relief", it is dedicated to the LAU. I hope you will enjoy it!
>
> As i use to write unfinished short tunes, this falls into this
> category too. So, don't feel frustrated at the end, i told you.
>
> It only lasts 3 minutes. I used musescore with the Salamander SFZ piano,
> Sonatina double bass, and yoshimi with classical ImpossibleDream patch.
> I recorded it with qjackrcd, orchestrated by qjackctl.

I like it as it is now, but I hope you continue work on it.

> Thank you for listening !
>
> [*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg

A pleasure. :)

Best,

dp

Re: [music] the relief

Benoît Rouits

Le 24/05/2017 à 01:12, Dave Phillips a écrit :

> Hi Ben !
>
> I like it as it is now, but I hope you continue work on it.
>
>> Thank you for listening !
>>
>> [*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg
>
> A pleasure. :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Thank you Dave,
Sure, i will continue to work on it and make it more long, talkative and
with, i hope, an actual true end.
All the best to you too,
  Ben

Re: [music] the relief

May 24 2017, Benoît Rouits has written:
> [*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg
Hi Benoît,
if you hadn't told us that you hadn't intended the piece to end as it
does, I wouldn't have noticed. I like the introspective atmosphere of
the piece. And I simply loved the progression, the surprise, when you
went into the second section. It really gave your song an interesting
twist.

I also enjoyed the balanced, if minimal, arrangement. Yoshimi made a
nice touch there.

Thanks for sharing, please don't mind sharing other "unfinished" pieces.
Ö)

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: [music] the relief

Bill Purvis
On 23/05/17 23:53, Benoît Rouits wrote:

> Hello dear list,
>
> After some silence here, i just wrote this little tune* called
> "The Relief", it is dedicated to the LAU. I hope you will enjoy it!
>
> As i use to write unfinished short tunes, this falls into this
> category too. So, don't feel frustrated at the end, i told you.
>
> It only lasts 3 minutes. I used musescore with the Salamander SFZ piano,
> Sonatina double bass, and yoshimi with classical ImpossibleDream patch.
> I recorded it with qjackrcd, orchestrated by qjackctl.
>
> Thank you for listening !
>
> [*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg
Nice one, Benoît. I enjoyed the simple arrangement, and the progressions
were
very pleasing. Keep on composing!

Bill

Re: [music] the relief

Louigi Verona
Hey Benoît!

Let me add some suggestions that might enhance the tune.

1. The piano accompaniment could stay as simple as it is, but I would advice playing around with note velocities. Currently all notes are of the same velocity which makes it sound very mechanistic. Instead, one can put emphasis on a dominant note and make the rest quieter, or make velocities change - become quieter or slower. This is especially important when your piano sounds on its own, in the beginning.

2. Compositionally I would not have the piano in the beginning. It is just way too simple for that. The piece is rather slow and I felt that such a slow start might put listeners off. I would also rethink the development of the tune. It sounds like a soundtrack piece, and there is some interesting development in the middle, but this kind of tune could benefit from much more variety, both melodic and compositional. Change of tone, pace could be extremely beneficial here.

Cheers!

Le 24/05/2017 à 11:52, Louigi Verona a écrit :

> Hey Benoît!
>
> Let me add some suggestions that might enhance the tune.
>
> 1. The piano accompaniment could stay as simple as it is, but I would
> advice playing around with note velocities. Currently all notes are of
> the same velocity which makes it sound very mechanistic. Instead, one
> can put emphasis on a dominant note and make the rest quieter, or make
> velocities change - become quieter or slower. This is especially
> important when your piano sounds on its own, in the beginning.

Absolutely. I will fine tune velocities next round ;-)

> 2. Compositionally I would not have the piano in the beginning. It is
> just way too simple for that. The piece is rather slow and I felt that
> such a slow start might put listeners off. I would also rethink the
> development of the tune. It sounds like a soundtrack piece, and there is
> some interesting development in the middle, but this kind of tune could
> benefit from much more variety, both melodic and compositional. Change
> of tone, pace could be extremely beneficial here.

Thank you for your comments, i will give another attempt to reorder
things in the composition.

  Benoît

Re: [music] the relief

On Wed, 24 May 2017 00:53:54 +0200
Benoît Rouits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dear list,
>
> After some silence here, i just wrote this little tune* called
> "The Relief", it is dedicated to the LAU. I hope you will enjoy it!
>
> As i use to write unfinished short tunes, this falls into this
> category too. So, don't feel frustrated at the end, i told you.
>
> It only lasts 3 minutes. I used musescore with the Salamander SFZ piano,
> Sonatina double bass, and yoshimi with classical ImpossibleDream patch.
> I recorded it with qjackrcd, orchestrated by qjackctl.
>
> Thank you for listening !

Very much enjoying this. While I agree with Louigi concerning more variation in
the piano velocity, to me, the rest is fine as it is.

Re: [music] the relief

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Wed, 24 May 2017 11:52:23 +0200
Louigi Verona <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. The piano accompaniment could stay as simple as it is, but I would
> advice playing around with note velocities. Currently all notes are
> of the same velocity which makes it sound very mechanistic. Instead,
> one can put emphasis on a dominant note and make the rest quieter, or
> make velocities change - become quieter or slower. This is especially
> important when your piano sounds on its own, in the beginning.

It'd be nice to have gyroscopic sensors to add velocity to recorded
MIDI notes.  Attached to the hands/arms, with gestures like an
orchestra director.  Laurie Anderson had some on stage in the 80s, to
make percussive sounds ('Home of the Brave'), so I guess that the
technology, some 30 years later, would allow much more.  Even
individual sensors for fingers. in addition to wrists and arms.

As the notes are playing, the gestures performed live would indicate
velocity.  Of course there's some smoothing algorithm in there.  Maybe
more can be carried over by the gestures and the sensors, like cutoff
frequency (to use a blatant one) but much more parameters with synths
like Zebra2.  Or macros as with Biotek.

The track could even be played at a lower speed to allow recording of
such data with more precision.

Re: [music] the relief

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Wed, 24 May 2017 00:53:54 +0200
Benoît Rouits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg

I'm afraid it just passes by like a washing.  I find there is no
dimension, no high nor lows, no pulsation.  It seems it is more like a
piece of furniture at the functional level.  The composition by itself
can be a good vehicle for many things.  It's just that this specific
rendering of the compositional idea is not so much inviting, I find, on
the bland side of things. IMHO of course.

Cordialement.

Re: [music] the relief

Carlos Sanchiavedraz
Hi Benoît,

On May 23, 2017 3:53:54 PM PDT, "Benoît Rouits" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello dear list,
>
>After some silence here, i just wrote this little tune* called
>"The Relief", it is dedicated to the LAU. I hope you will enjoy it!
>
>As i use to write unfinished short tunes, this falls into this
>category too. So, don't feel frustrated at the end, i told you.
>
>It only lasts 3 minutes. I used musescore with the Salamander SFZ
>piano,
>Sonatina double bass, and yoshimi with classical ImpossibleDream patch.
>I recorded it with qjackrcd, orchestrated by qjackctl.
>
>Thank you for listening !
>
>[*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg

Simple and effective, nice melody that takes you for a while easily. I like specially the little chiming arrangement at 1:34min, reminds me of some typical blade-runer-ish Vangelis with that falling pitches as drops.

Thanks for sharing.

Re: [music] the relief

Jostein Chr. Andersen
On onsdag 24 maj 2017 kl. 00:53:54 CEST Benoît Rouits wrote:
> As i use to write unfinished short tunes, this falls into this
> category too. So, don't feel frustrated at the end, i told you.
>
> It only lasts 3 minutes. I used musescore with the Salamander SFZ piano,
> Sonatina double bass, and yoshimi with classical ImpossibleDream patch.
> I recorded it with qjackrcd, orchestrated by qjackctl.

Very nice! Looking forward to listen to it again when it's finished!  :-)

Jostein

Re: [music] the relief

Benoît Rouits

Le 24/05/2017 à 15:55, jonetsu a écrit :

> On Wed, 24 May 2017 00:53:54 +0200
> Benoît Rouits <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [*] http://brouits.free.fr/music/exmachina/the_relief.ogg
>
> I'm afraid it just passes by like a washing.  I find there is no
> dimension, no high nor lows, no pulsation.  It seems it is more like a
> piece of furniture at the functional level.  The composition by itself
> can be a good vehicle for many things.  It's just that this specific
> rendering of the compositional idea is not so much inviting, I find, on
> the bland side of things. IMHO of course.
>
> Cordialement.

Hello jonetsu,

Thanks for your comment, indeed, the plate rendering is not inviting.
However the absence of pulsation was by my will. I wanted something
both neutral and colored: neutral rhythm, no evident pace, just a flow
of notes, but sound coloration by Yoshimi's melody. It can be seen as
a music for a train station or a marketing ad. Anyway it relaxed me at
the time i wrote it.

Cheers,
 Benoît