re Zoom R16

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
89 messages Options
12345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

re Zoom R16

Set Hallstrom
Hi all!

I found this old discussion about the Zoom R16 in the archive of LAU.
http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2012/3/14/188926

Strangely, in that archive there is a missing reply from Mr. Brett McCoy. (You can find the missing one a the bottom of this archive: http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/Zoom-R16-td7748.html )

Mr. McCoy claims to have enabled the Zoom R8 (yes, there is quite a difference between r16 and r8) as a multi-input soundcard for ardour and also as a control surface in 12.04 64bits.

There is no information as to which driver is being in use in his post. And searching the web only leads me to various WIP to get the R16 running on linux.

My question is, has anyone got any news about this device and a possible drivers?

Specifically to Mr. Brett McCoy: what driver did you use to make jack aware of your r8?

Thank full for any hints, yours,

--
Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mr. McCoy claims to have enabled the Zoom R8 (yes, there is quite a
> difference between r16 and r8) as a multi-input soundcard for ardour and
> also as a control surface in 12.04 64bits.
>
> There is no information as to which driver is being in use in his post. And
> searching the web only leads me to various WIP to get the R16 running on
> linux.
>
> My question is, has anyone got any news about this device and a possible
> drivers?
>
> Specifically to Mr. Brett McCoy: what driver did you use to make jack aware
> of your r8?

I'm now using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, I haven't tried the device out yet
on that version. If I recall, I didn't need to use any specific
driver, I think it used the ALSA USB audio & midi drivers
automagically. You have to do a little bit of config in Ardour, to
make sure you use the correct protocol. I don't think it works in
Ardour2 or MixBus, though, just Ardour3. I'm not in my studio right
now but can check it out later today. I haven't useed my Zoom R8 for a
while, actually


--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Paul Davis



On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm now using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, I haven't tried the device out yet
on that version. If I recall, I didn't need to use any specific
driver, I think it used the ALSA USB audio & midi drivers
automagically. You have to do a little bit of config in Ardour, to
make sure you use the correct protocol. I don't think it works in
Ardour2 or MixBus, though, just Ardour3.

No idea what role Ardour would play in this ....


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>
>> I'm now using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, I haven't tried the device out yet
>> on that version. If I recall, I didn't need to use any specific
>> driver, I think it used the ALSA USB audio & midi drivers
>> automagically. You have to do a little bit of config in Ardour, to
>> make sure you use the correct protocol. I don't think it works in
>> Ardour2 or MixBus, though, just Ardour3.
>
>
> No idea what role Ardour would play in this ....

None at all, beyond making sure you configure it correctly for the
device (Mackie). Otherwise, it's all done through ALSA. I don't
remember to what extent it might have worked in A2 as a surface
controller, I didn't test it much, it definitely worked in A3 as a
surface controller.


--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Paul Davis



On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm now using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, I haven't tried the device out yet
>> on that version. If I recall, I didn't need to use any specific
>> driver, I think it used the ALSA USB audio & midi drivers
>> automagically. You have to do a little bit of config in Ardour, to
>> make sure you use the correct protocol. I don't think it works in
>> Ardour2 or MixBus, though, just Ardour3.
>
>
> No idea what role Ardour would play in this ....

None at all, beyond making sure you configure it correctly for the
device (Mackie). Otherwise, it's all done through ALSA. I don't
remember to what extent it might have worked in A2 as a surface
controller, I didn't test it much, it definitely worked in A3 as a
surface controller.

Oh, as a control surface! sorry, missed that bit.
 

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> None at all, beyond making sure you configure it correctly for the
>> device (Mackie). Otherwise, it's all done through ALSA. I don't
>> remember to what extent it might have worked in A2 as a surface
>> controller, I didn't test it much, it definitely worked in A3 as a
>> surface controller.
>
> Oh, as a control surface! sorry, missed that bit.

Yeah, as an audio controller, if I recall, it worked out of the box as
a USB device. I haven't played with it in a while and only used the
surface controller stuff.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Set Hallstrom
In reply to this post by Paul Davis
thank you Mr. McCoy!

Hmm... with the alsa driver i get no audio/midi detection in JACK for my R16... Like Mr. Davis is saying, i don't think ardour has alot to do with this. I believe JACK is more of a headliner in this investigation :) It's not so much of a problem in my workflow since the tracks are easily exported out of the zoom into any DAW. But it could be convenient.

Hopefully, someone more skilled than me will push the research forward. Technically i can't do anything. But what i am doing ATM is writing an impossible-to-decline email to Zoom, to try to obtain the source of the OSX drivers (wish me luck), since it seems from other threads in the ether covering the subject, that it could help the WIP.

Have a delicious week!

*Set



On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:



On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm now using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, I haven't tried the device out yet
on that version. If I recall, I didn't need to use any specific
driver, I think it used the ALSA USB audio & midi drivers
automagically. You have to do a little bit of config in Ardour, to
make sure you use the correct protocol. I don't think it works in
Ardour2 or MixBus, though, just Ardour3.

No idea what role Ardour would play in this ....




--
Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm... with the alsa driver i get no audio/midi detection in JACK for my
> R16... Like Mr. Davis is saying, i don't think ardour has alot to do with
> this. I believe JACK is more of a headliner in this investigation :) It's
> not so much of a problem in my workflow since the tracks are easily exported
> out of the zoom into any DAW. But it could be convenient.
>
> Hopefully, someone more skilled than me will push the research forward.
> Technically i can't do anything. But what i am doing ATM is writing an
> impossible-to-decline email to Zoom, to try to obtain the source of the OSX
> drivers (wish me luck), since it seems from other threads in the ether
> covering the subject, that it could help the WIP.

I'll take a look at it when I back in the studio tonight. I didn't do
much with the audio interface, but it was working for me with ALSA &
Pulseaudio (didn't try it with Jack, at least not for audio).

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Set Hallstrom
Thank you!!! that would be very nice of you! :)


On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm... with the alsa driver i get no audio/midi detection in JACK for my
> R16... Like Mr. Davis is saying, i don't think ardour has alot to do with
> this. I believe JACK is more of a headliner in this investigation :) It's
> not so much of a problem in my workflow since the tracks are easily exported
> out of the zoom into any DAW. But it could be convenient.
>
> Hopefully, someone more skilled than me will push the research forward.
> Technically i can't do anything. But what i am doing ATM is writing an
> impossible-to-decline email to Zoom, to try to obtain the source of the OSX
> drivers (wish me luck), since it seems from other threads in the ether
> covering the subject, that it could help the WIP.

I'll take a look at it when I back in the studio tonight. I didn't do
much with the audio interface, but it was working for me with ALSA &
Pulseaudio (didn't try it with Jack, at least not for audio).

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi



--
Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Brett McCoy-2
Hey man, I am in my studio now, here's what I am doing under Ubuntu Studio 13.04

1. Plugin USB cable to unit, turn it on
2. Press USB button on unit and activate USB functionality
3. lsub shows me this:

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1686:014f ZOOM Corporation
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0719 Genesys Logic, Inc. SATA adapter
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 18e3:9106 Fitipower Integrated Technology Inc

4. aplay shows me this:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface
[RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: R8 [ZOOM R8], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Turnong on jack, I get an ALSA MIDI device and Jack in/out ports.
Running a2j -e (export hardware ports), ZOOM R8 is listed under Jack
MIDI.

This is working out of the box for me, I didn't need to install and/or
configure anything.

Pulseaudio seems to work better with jack out of the box on Ubuntu Studio 13.04

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you!!! that would be very nice of you! :)
>
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hmm... with the alsa driver i get no audio/midi detection in JACK for my
>> > R16... Like Mr. Davis is saying, i don't think ardour has alot to do
>> > with
>> > this. I believe JACK is more of a headliner in this investigation :)
>> > It's
>> > not so much of a problem in my workflow since the tracks are easily
>> > exported
>> > out of the zoom into any DAW. But it could be convenient.
>> >
>> > Hopefully, someone more skilled than me will push the research forward.
>> > Technically i can't do anything. But what i am doing ATM is writing an
>> > impossible-to-decline email to Zoom, to try to obtain the source of the
>> > OSX
>> > drivers (wish me luck), since it seems from other threads in the ether
>> > covering the subject, that it could help the WIP.
>>
>> I'll take a look at it when I back in the studio tonight. I didn't do
>> much with the audio interface, but it was working for me with ALSA &
>> Pulseaudio (didn't try it with Jack, at least not for audio).
>>
>> --
>> Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
>> it would overturn the world."
>>     -- Jelaleddin Rumi
>
>
>
>
> --
> Set Hallström
> AKA
> reSet Sakrecoer
> http://sakrecoer.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-audio-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
>



--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
it would overturn the world."
    -- Jelaleddin Rumi
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Set Hallstrom
Thank you very much Mr. McCoy!!!! :)

lsusb lists my device. But unfortunately, aplay -l dose not detect it.

I imagine it has something to with the fact that the r16 has 8 inputs
and there for needs a non-standard driver. But this is just my n00by
speculation.

Let's hope my very kind and respectful jedi-mail will have effect on
zoom corporation :D

Thanks again for your precious help!

Set H.

On 2013-10-14 23:40, Brett McCoy wrote:

> Hey man, I am in my studio now, here's what I am doing under Ubuntu Studio 13.04
>
> 1. Plugin USB cable to unit, turn it on
> 2. Press USB button on unit and activate USB functionality
> 3. lsub shows me this:
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1686:014f ZOOM Corporation
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0719 Genesys Logic, Inc. SATA adapter
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 18e3:9106 Fitipower Integrated Technology Inc
>
> 4. aplay shows me this:
>
> $ aplay -l
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface
> [RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 2: R8 [ZOOM R8], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Turnong on jack, I get an ALSA MIDI device and Jack in/out ports.
> Running a2j -e (export hardware ports), ZOOM R8 is listed under Jack
> MIDI.
>
> This is working out of the box for me, I didn't need to install and/or
> configure anything.
>
> Pulseaudio seems to work better with jack out of the box on Ubuntu Studio 13.04
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you!!! that would be very nice of you! :)
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM, reSet Sakrecoer <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hmm... with the alsa driver i get no audio/midi detection in JACK for my
>>>> R16... Like Mr. Davis is saying, i don't think ardour has alot to do
>>>> with
>>>> this. I believe JACK is more of a headliner in this investigation :)
>>>> It's
>>>> not so much of a problem in my workflow since the tracks are easily
>>>> exported
>>>> out of the zoom into any DAW. But it could be convenient.
>>>>
>>>> Hopefully, someone more skilled than me will push the research forward.
>>>> Technically i can't do anything. But what i am doing ATM is writing an
>>>> impossible-to-decline email to Zoom, to try to obtain the source of the
>>>> OSX
>>>> drivers (wish me luck), since it seems from other threads in the ether
>>>> covering the subject, that it could help the WIP.
>>>
>>> I'll take a look at it when I back in the studio tonight. I didn't do
>>> much with the audio interface, but it was working for me with ALSA &
>>> Pulseaudio (didn't try it with Jack, at least not for audio).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> "In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it,
>>> it would overturn the world."
>>>     -- Jelaleddin Rumi
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Set Hallström
>> AKA
>> reSet Sakrecoer
>> http://sakrecoer.com
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Linux-audio-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
>>
>
>
>

--
Set Hallstrom
AKA Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com


WARNING: Remember clear-text email is subject to mass surveillance
systems. Alone this information is useless. Our summed communications
are worth humanity.

Please keep in mind Internet is a boulevard in a crowded virtual city.
Privacy is found under the cloaks.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Clemens Ladisch
Set Hallstrom wrote:
> lsusb lists my device. But unfortunately, aplay -l dose not detect it.
>
> I imagine it has something to with the fact that the r16 has 8 inputs
> and there for needs a non-standard driver.

Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
sound/usb/quirks-table.h:

{
        /* ZOOM R16 in USB 2.0 mode */
        USB_DEVICE(0x1686, 0x00dd),
        .driver_info = (unsigned long) & (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk) {
                .ifnum = QUIRK_ANY_INTERFACE,
                .type = QUIRK_COMPOSITE,
                .data = (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk[]) {
                        {
                                .ifnum = 0,
                                .type = QUIRK_IGNORE_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 1,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 2,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 3,
                                .type = QUIRK_MIDI_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = .1
                        },
                }
        }
},


Regards,
Clemens
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Set Hallstrom
Thanks a million Clemens!

I will try as soon as i find out how to recompile a kernel! :) Actualy very happy to have reason to learn how to do that!

Still no answer from zoom... "touching wood"

yours,
Set


On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Clemens Ladisch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Set Hallstrom wrote:
> lsusb lists my device. But unfortunately, aplay -l dose not detect it.
>
> I imagine it has something to with the fact that the r16 has 8 inputs
> and there for needs a non-standard driver.

Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
sound/usb/quirks-table.h:

{
        /* ZOOM R16 in USB 2.0 mode */
        USB_DEVICE(0x1686, 0x00dd),
        .driver_info = (unsigned long) & (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk) {
                .ifnum = QUIRK_ANY_INTERFACE,
                .type = QUIRK_COMPOSITE,
                .data = (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk[]) {
                        {
                                .ifnum = 0,
                                .type = QUIRK_IGNORE_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 1,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 2,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 3,
                                .type = QUIRK_MIDI_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = .1
                        },
                }
        }
},


Regards,
Clemens



--
Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com


_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Natanael Olaiz
In reply to this post by Clemens Ladisch
Hi Clemens,

El 10/15/2013 01:15 PM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
> Set Hallstrom wrote:
>> lsusb lists my device. But unfortunately, aplay -l dose not detect it.
>>
>> I imagine it has something to with the fact that the r16 has 8 inputs
>> and there for needs a non-standard driver.
> Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
> sound/usb/quirks-table.h:
> [...]

I confirm that the patch works for MIDI on a kernel 3.10.7 (gentoo)!!
Thanks a lot!!

On the other hand, audio doesn't seem to works straightforward. The
device is seen, but I was not able to make it work with jack nor aplay.

I'll do more tests...


Thanks again!,
Natanael.



> Regards,
> Clemens
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-audio-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
>

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Clemens Ladisch
Natanael Olaiz wrote:

> El 10/15/2013 01:15 PM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>> Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
>> sound/usb/quirks-table.h:
>> [...]
>
> I confirm that the patch works for MIDI on a kernel 3.10.7 (gentoo)!!
> Thanks a lot!!
>
> On the other hand, audio doesn't seem to works straightforward. The
> device is seen, but I was not able to make it work with jack nor aplay.

What happens?


Regards,
Clemens
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Natanael Olaiz
El 10/18/2013 08:27 AM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:

> Natanael Olaiz wrote:
>> El 10/15/2013 01:15 PM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>>> Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
>>> sound/usb/quirks-table.h:
>>> [...]
>> I confirm that the patch works for MIDI on a kernel 3.10.7 (gentoo)!!
>> Thanks a lot!!
>>
>> On the other hand, audio doesn't seem to works straightforward. The
>> device is seen, but I was not able to make it work with jack nor aplay.
> What happens?
>

I think it had some trouble with the sample rate or some of the other
defined arguments, but I still didn't had many time to try different
combinations...

Plus, I don't know how to change the sample rate on the device. There is
no control exposed for alsamixer, and I cannot change it from the device
itself. When I tested it, as soon I started jackd the device changed the
sample rate to 96kHz (when I was trying 48kHz from the jackd command,
and the device was at 44.1kHz before), and (q)jack(ctl)d stopped like
waiting for the device.

...

But after my previous mail I tried again with alsa_in on a running 48kHz
jackd server (Focusrite Saffire), and it worked!!!! I was able to use
all the 8 input channels!!! (my impression was an incredibly -for the
price...- clean sound!)

I tried then adding an alsa_out (at the same time than alsa_in), but it
said the device was already in use (I have a H2n and as far I can
remember I can execute both together...)


Soon I'll do more controlled tests and I'll update you. But it look so
good!! :-)

Thanks a lot!!!

Natanael.
> Regards,
> Clemens
>

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Natanael Olaiz
Clemens, do you think it would be useful to do some sort of sniffing on
the USB using an official driver inside a Virtual Machine for getting
the controls?

If you think so tell me and I'll give a try. [1]


Best regards,
Natanael.

[1] A great tutorial on that (thanks Robin!):
http://gareus.org/wiki/digi003

El 10/18/2013 10:04 PM, Natanael Olaiz escribió:

> El 10/18/2013 08:27 AM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>> Natanael Olaiz wrote:
>>> El 10/15/2013 01:15 PM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>>>> Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
>>>> sound/usb/quirks-table.h:
>>>> [...]
>>> I confirm that the patch works for MIDI on a kernel 3.10.7 (gentoo)!!
>>> Thanks a lot!!
>>>
>>> On the other hand, audio doesn't seem to works straightforward. The
>>> device is seen, but I was not able to make it work with jack nor aplay.
>> What happens?
>>
> I think it had some trouble with the sample rate or some of the other
> defined arguments, but I still didn't had many time to try different
> combinations...
>
> Plus, I don't know how to change the sample rate on the device. There is
> no control exposed for alsamixer, and I cannot change it from the device
> itself. When I tested it, as soon I started jackd the device changed the
> sample rate to 96kHz (when I was trying 48kHz from the jackd command,
> and the device was at 44.1kHz before), and (q)jack(ctl)d stopped like
> waiting for the device.
>
> ...
>
> But after my previous mail I tried again with alsa_in on a running 48kHz
> jackd server (Focusrite Saffire), and it worked!!!! I was able to use
> all the 8 input channels!!! (my impression was an incredibly -for the
> price...- clean sound!)
>
> I tried then adding an alsa_out (at the same time than alsa_in), but it
> said the device was already in use (I have a H2n and as far I can
> remember I can execute both together...)
>
>
> Soon I'll do more controlled tests and I'll update you. But it look so
> good!! :-)
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Natanael.
>> Regards,
>> Clemens
>>

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Set Hallstrom
In reply to this post by Natanael Olaiz
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!! This is GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!  <3 <3 <3
Thank you Clement and Natanael!!! I haven't had time to fiddle with
kernel recompiling yet, but as soon as i get my hands arround the
process, i will try to compile all the information you gather to make
some nice how-to for future users.

*Set

On 2013-10-18 22:04, Natanael Olaiz wrote:

> El 10/18/2013 08:27 AM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>> Natanael Olaiz wrote:
>>> El 10/15/2013 01:15 PM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>>>> Try recompiling the kernel with the following entry in
>>>> sound/usb/quirks-table.h:
>>>> [...]
>>> I confirm that the patch works for MIDI on a kernel 3.10.7 (gentoo)!!
>>> Thanks a lot!!
>>>
>>> On the other hand, audio doesn't seem to works straightforward. The
>>> device is seen, but I was not able to make it work with jack nor aplay.
>> What happens?
>>
>
> I think it had some trouble with the sample rate or some of the other
> defined arguments, but I still didn't had many time to try different
> combinations...
>
> Plus, I don't know how to change the sample rate on the device. There is
> no control exposed for alsamixer, and I cannot change it from the device
> itself. When I tested it, as soon I started jackd the device changed the
> sample rate to 96kHz (when I was trying 48kHz from the jackd command,
> and the device was at 44.1kHz before), and (q)jack(ctl)d stopped like
> waiting for the device.
>
> ...
>
> But after my previous mail I tried again with alsa_in on a running 48kHz
> jackd server (Focusrite Saffire), and it worked!!!! I was able to use
> all the 8 input channels!!! (my impression was an incredibly -for the
> price...- clean sound!)
>
> I tried then adding an alsa_out (at the same time than alsa_in), but it
> said the device was already in use (I have a H2n and as far I can
> remember I can execute both together...)
>
>
> Soon I'll do more controlled tests and I'll update you. But it look so
> good!! :-)
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Natanael.
>> Regards,
>> Clemens
>>
>

--
Set Hallstrom
AKA Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com


WARNING: Remember clear-text email is subject to mass surveillance
systems. Alone this information is useless. Our summed communications
are worth humanity.

Please keep in mind Internet is a boulevard in a crowded virtual city.
Privacy is found under the cloaks.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

Natanael Olaiz
In reply to this post by Natanael Olaiz
El 10/18/2013 10:04 PM, Natanael Olaiz escribió:

> El 10/18/2013 08:27 AM, Clemens Ladisch escribió:
>> Natanael Olaiz wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> On the other hand, audio doesn't seem to works straightforward. The
>>> device is seen, but I was not able to make it work with jack nor aplay.
>>
>> What happens?
>>
> I think it had some trouble with the sample rate or some of the other
> defined arguments, but I still didn't had many time to try different
> combinations...
>
> Plus, I don't know how to change the sample rate on the device. There is
> no control exposed for alsamixer, and I cannot change it from the device
> itself. When I tested it, as soon I started jackd the device changed the
> sample rate to 96kHz (when I was trying 48kHz from the jackd command,
> and the device was at 44.1kHz before), and (q)jack(ctl)d stopped like
> waiting for the device.
>
> ...
>
> But after my previous mail I tried again with alsa_in on a running 48kHz
> jackd server (Focusrite Saffire), and it worked!!!! I was able to use
> all the 8 input channels!!! (my impression was an incredibly -for the
> price...- clean sound!)
>
> I tried then adding an alsa_out (at the same time than alsa_in), but it
> said the device was already in use (I have a H2n and as far I can
> remember I can execute both together...)
I'm using the R16 as MIDI controller [R16 -> a2jmidid (alsa midi)->
(jack midi) ardour3] and audio capture [R16 -> alsa_in (alsa device with
8 input channels) -> ffado jack host].

It seems to work quite well when is running, but there is something not
fine:

 - it takes a long time to the device to appears as an alsa device since
it is detected from the kernel module

 - at least when it is not used (but I think it can occurs even when
streaming) it seems to block ALSA for moments. Meanwhile alsa seems is
unresponsive. Trying to start qjackctl (just open the frontend, not even
starting jack) opened an unresponsive widget. As soon I disconnected the
USB from the R16, the buttons and the control of the widget appeared.

- I was with the above described chain (jack + R16 alsa_in) , and all
the audio devices suddenly hanged. I saw in the R16 the sample rate at
96kHz (when it was -as JACK- at 48kHz)

A dmesg shows this :

> [  268.877864] 3:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  272.489903] firewire_core 0000:07:00.0: created device fw1: GUID
> 00130e0100060dce, S400
> [  273.879240] 3:1:1: cannot set freq 44100 to ep 0x3
> [  278.903419] 3:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  283.904662] 3:1:1: cannot set freq 44100 to ep 0x3
> [  286.633916] 3:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  286.638154] 3:1:1: cannot set freq 44100 to ep 0x3
> [  286.671291] 3:1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-71)
> [  286.675542] 3:1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-71)
> [  286.679792] 3:1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-71)
>  "" * 20
> [  286.799821] 3:1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-71)
> [  286.830497] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 3
> [  304.980599] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card
> #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
> [  305.930727] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using
> ehci-pci
> [  306.022714] usb 1-1.4: config 1 interface 3 altsetting 0 bulk
> endpoint 0x1 has invalid maxpacket 64
> [  306.022717] usb 1-1.4: config 1 interface 3 altsetting 0 bulk
> endpoint 0x82 has invalid maxpacket 64
> [  306.023508] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1686,
> idProduct=00dd
> [  306.023513] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=3
> [  306.023515] usb 1-1.4: Product: R16
> [  306.023517] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: ZOOM Corporation
> [  306.023519] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 0
> [  311.025093] 4:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  321.027467] 4:2:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84
> [  331.090900] 4:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  336.092152] 4:1:1: cannot set freq 44100 to ep 0x3
> [  341.115367] 4:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  346.116557] 4:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  356.273029] 4:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  358.352531] 4:2:1: usb_set_interface failed (-110)
> [  820.268089] 4:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x3
> [  825.269267] 4:1:1: cannot set freq 44100 to ep 0x3

Any hint?


Thanks in advance,
Natanael.


>
> Soon I'll do more controlled tests and I'll update you. But it look so
> good!! :-)
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Natanael.
>> Regards,
>> Clemens
>>

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Zoom R16

jmancine
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Set Hallstrom
I am so glad to see progress with the R16.  I am available to test/debug (w/ ubuntu studio 13.10) and help out any way possible!

Kernel recompile works, but i am also experiencing freezeups. I do know that the R16 itself is capable of running as 8 independent 96k inputs in windows...perhaps it is a matter of limiting that function on the unit itself, or explicitly prohibiting it in alsa/jack config.  I will test a bit and post tomorrow.

Thank you all!


ALSO:  bit depth is locked at 24 in zoom firmware when running in usb audio interface mode!  Clock can be 44.1/48/88.2 or 96

UPDATE:  Confirmed that R16 acts as slave with DAW as master clock, so the sample rate on the R16 in "audio interface mode" is set by DAW software (in our case, from JACK with Ardour inheriting the settings from the engine).  So looks like JACK config will be the solution.   I will start testing variables in JACK config and post results if I find stable settings.

UPDATE #2:  Well, getting nowhere with JACK.  But the built-in LADI-Session Handler for Ubuntu Studio did a great job with default settings... I have been recording 24-bit/96K test tracks on all 8 inputs at once.  No crashes/freezups!!   But to do this I had to completely disable playback...  this is AMAZING progress!!

12345