Quantcast

[slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

[slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

Jeanette C.
Hey hey,
I was looking for a general c++ mailinglist for a while now, but could only
find internet based forums. Does anyone ehre know a good, old mailinglist? It
doesn't have to be restricted to c++ only.

Sorry, for the sort-of OT, but in a way it's on-topic, too. :)

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: [slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 17:16:53 +0100 (CET), J. C. wrote:
>I was looking for a general c++ mailinglist for a while now

Better try to find a list about programming that fits to the domain you
want to use C++ for. All those compiler languages suffer from pitfalls
related to the domain, you want to use them for. IOW if the domain is
real-time programming, try to find a mailing list related to real-time
programming. Keep in mind that the Heartbleed-Bug is caused by a German
doctoral dissertation and ignorance of a security related pitfall, when
using C for writing security related code.

2 Cents from an Assembler dino,
Ralf

Re: [slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

Karl Hammar
Jeanette:
> I was looking for a general c++ mailinglist for a while now, but could only
> find internet based forums. Does anyone ehre know a good, old mailinglist? It
> doesn't have to be restricted to c++ only.

You have good ol' news:

 comp.std.c++
 comp.lang.c++
 comp.lang.c++.leda
 comp.lang.c++.moderated

See e.g.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_client
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_server
 http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm
 http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html
 http://www.tutorialspoint.com/internet_technologies/usenet_newsgroup.htm

It was a long time since I used news, so I don't know how viable a
alternative it is today.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148
S-742 94 Östhammar
Sweden
+46 173 140 57

Re: [slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

Jeanette C.
Dec 6 2016, [hidden email] has written:
> You have good ol' news:
>
> comp.std.c++
> comp.lang.c++
> comp.lang.c++.leda
> comp.lang.c++.moderated
Thanks Karl. I'll investigate, didn't think of that. My mail client
*should* be able to handle newsgroups, but I've never used one at all.
:(

--------

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 19:42:42 +0100 (CET), Jeanette C. wrote:
>didn't think of that

Don't expect much traffic ;).

Re: [slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

Fons Adriaensen-3
On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 07:45:10PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 19:42:42 +0100 (CET), Jeanette C. wrote:
> >didn't think of that
>
> Don't expect much traffic ;).

But do expect a lot almost religious zealotism.
If you ask how to add two integers don't be surprised
when you need 5 patterns and 10 template libraries.

Have fun !

Ciao,

Re: [slghtly OT] Searching for c++ mailinglist

Karl Hammar
Jeanette:

> Dec 6 2016, [hidden email] has written:
> > You have good ol' news:
> >
> > comp.std.c++
> > comp.lang.c++
> > comp.lang.c++.leda
> > comp.lang.c++.moderated
> Thanks Karl. I'll investigate, didn't think of that. My mail client
> *should* be able to handle newsgroups, but I've never used one at all.

To test I installed slrn and ran (hmm, how do I express that correctly
in english):

$ slrn -h nntp.aioe.org --create

used / to search for comp.lang.c, subscribed to it and locking at some
messages, seems to work.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data