some recent work

Dave Phillips
Greetings !

Some recent work with VCV Rack:

Raea: A longish (~7 minutes) dronish piece

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLH8egDOgVc

2UUUUs: A short study with two particular oscillators

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9Sw07p_aM

Four Chords: A harmony exercise turned into a synth demo

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_xL1CKLLN0

Enjoy !

Best,

dp

Re: some recent work

Jeanette C.
Hey hey Dave,
thanks for sharing these pieces. I particularly like the four chords,
for it's pleasantness and ethereal tones. VCV rack sounds like such a
fun software, for all kinds of genres and experiments. Pity that part of
its magic lies in its highly graphical nature. :(

Interesting and eclectic choice!

Apr 29 2020, Dave Phillips has written:
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLH8egDOgVc
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9Sw07p_aM
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_xL1CKLLN0

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

There's just a thing or two I'd like you to know <3

Re: some recent work

Dave Phillips
On 4/29/20 9:26 AM, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey Dave,
> thanks for sharing these pieces. I particularly like the four chords,
> for it's pleasantness and ethereal tones.

Thanks for checking out the music, Jeanette. Four Chords came about when
I played a simple harmony exercise through a recently released
polyphonic version of a sawtooth oscillator module that emulates the
JP-8000 Super Saw. The patch is rather sparse, with a single instance of
the oscillator. Its output is shaped with an ADSR envelope generator
then routed to the mixer. A measure of sonic sweetener is added with
global reverb and chorus.

An external MIDI sequencer connects to VCV Rack by means of a module
that converts MIDI to control voltage values, continuous and discrete.
The sequencer thus provides voltage per octave values for frequency
material, gates for the EG, continuous control values for the master
output level, and the clock for a beat-synchronized LFO used to modulate
the mixture of the oscillator's sawtooth waves.

> VCV rack sounds like such a
> fun software, for all kinds of genres and experiments. Pity that part of
> its magic lies in its highly graphical nature. :(

VCV Rack has me thinking a lot about Csound and its modular nature. The
workflows are conceptually complementary, and I think it would be good
exercise for me to work with Csound at the text level to make something
similar to what I make with VCV Rack.

> Interesting and eclectic choice!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Thanks again, Jeanette !

Best regards,

dp

On 4/29/20 12:50 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

Extra credit for the Four Chords exercise if you redo it with the chord generation taking place inside Rack :)

I could be sneaky and use a MIDI file with one of the player modules. :)

The Squinky Labs plugin includes a piano-roll sequencer module very similar to my favored external sequencer. I suppose I could have written the music with it but the external sequencer is also a handy tool for creating modulation curves with MIDI continuous controllers (which of course get converted to control voltage streams in VCV Rack).

Very nice. It looks as if you didn't change the settings for all 4 chord sections?

The Saws module has a Mix parameter which mixes the seven sawtooth waves according to a process I'm not sure I understand completely. Anyway, the control for the Mix parameter is modulated slowly throughout the performance, it's the only modulated parameter I used on the oscillator. Otherwise, settings are pretty much made then left alone.

Thanks for checking out the sounds, Paul, and I hope you & yours are all healthy and safe these days.

Best regards,

dp

Re: some recent work

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 08:18:30 -0400
Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Greetings !
>
>Some recent work with VCV Rack:
>
>Raea: A longish (~7 minutes) dronish piece
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLH8egDOgVc
>
>2UUUUs: A short study with two particular oscillators
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9Sw07p_aM
>
>Four Chords: A harmony exercise turned into a synth demo
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_xL1CKLLN0
>
>Enjoy !
>
>Best,
>
>dp

The first two, come over as 'interesting' to me, but not something I'd want to
listen to again.