trying to get pitch bend to work

Bill Purvis
Hi,
In a rash moment I splashed out load of dosh and bought an Artiprog
Instrument 1.
I play bass, and think it looks quite cool with this little thing
playing nice low
notes. I've not used by 5-string for months now!

I have a couple of problems with it. The first is that Artiprog have not
yet produced
a Linux version of the editing program that is used to set up the
device. It comes with
four built-in devices, guitar, keyboard, violin and drums, and four
programmable devices
which can be programmed to behave like any of the built-ins, but with
lots of variants.

I want to use it as a fretless bass and have managed, by using by
brother-in-law's Mac
to program one of the devices, so that problem is resolved, though I
wish they'd
either bring out a Linux version or release the specs so I could write
my own editor.

The second problem is the one I'm really looking for help with:

When it's programmed as a fretless bass, you press down the starting
note and it sends
a MIDI Note-on event, then as you move up and down it sends pitch bend
events. I've
checked using a midi monitor program and the events are all there,
though they look
a bit on the slim side - about -3500 - +3500 rather than -8192 - + 8191.
The problem is
they have no effect on the synth. I've been using Calf Fluidsynth, but
tried the standard
Fluidsynth and Yoshimi, but with no joy. I have tried patching in midi
commands to set the
pitch bend range to 12 (RPN 0,0, DATA 0,12) and tried the pitch_bend
command in the
standard Fluidsynth but nothing doing not even a semitone shift.

Am I missing something here?

Bill

Re: trying to get pitch bend to work

Paul Davis
Response to pitch bend is partially a function of the soundfont loaded into fluid. There are several (lots?) that don't respond, and many that do.

I very very much doubt that Fluid responds to the pitch bend range RPN, but hey, I've been wrong before.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Bill Purvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lorenzo Sutton

On 04/09/2017 13:09, Bill Purvis wrote:

> a bit on the slim side - about -3500 - +3500 rather than -8192 - + 8191.
> The problem is
> they have no effect on the synth. I've been using Calf Fluidsynth, but
> tried the standard
> Fluidsynth and Yoshimi, but with no joy. I have tried patching in midi
> commands to set the
> pitch bend range to 12 (RPN 0,0, DATA 0,12) and tried the pitch_bend
> command in the
> standard Fluidsynth but nothing doing not even a semitone shift.

You might have a try with Pure Data, where - for example - scaling the
range would be quite trivial (although of course you would still be
losing in 'resolution'). Also you could use it for quickly prototyping
midi message 'manipulator' patches, for example a while ago I hacked a
patch to use a Vestax PAD-One controller (which sends note-on messages)
to send bank and programme changes to yoshimi... and that was done quite
easily in Pd ;)

My two cents.
Lorenzo.

Re: trying to get pitch bend to work

Jonathan Brickman
The Artiprog (I think we're talking about this: https://artiphon.com/) is one amazing controller.  Six stacked octaves [for a keyboardist] with velocity and aftertouch for $400?  Dear God, what hath thou wrought :-)  I do hope they do an eight-octave version, I would miss the extreme octaves, but still, wow.
Response to pitch bend is partially a function of the soundfont loaded into fluid. There are several (lots?) that don't respond, and many that do.

I very very much doubt that Fluid responds to the pitch bend range RPN, but hey, I've been wrong before.
It does appear that Fluidsynth knows about pitch bend:

https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/154

but given that you're not hearing it happen, there may indeed be different question-beasts involved, both soundfonts' responses and/or fluidsynth options.  I have done a bit of editing and study of  some soundfonts ( http://polyphone-soundfonts.com ) and did not see pitch bend response in the GUIs, though I will be unsurprised to be told better.

It appears that Yoshimi and ZynAddSubFX, live synthesizers, both do pitch bend:

https://sourceforge.net/p/yoshimi/feature-requests/13/

and live synth should (theoretically) be more of a slam-dunk for pitch bending, because pitch control is not an option for the live synth, it's an absolute base-core item...whereas soundfonts themselves contain discrete note-chunks that would have to be morphed by the soundfont handler to make it happen well.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@...   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3s now available!

On 12/09/17 12:19, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
[...]

Actually, Artiprog is the editor, the device is an Artiphon:Instrument1. But that's just being picky.

I don't understand why pending samples should be a problem. I've had a Korg X5DR for years, that is
a sample-based synth module and it bends pitches just how I expect. I'm not expecting it to produce
a perfect rendering of the sounds, something that sounds like a fretless bass is all I'm asking for.

I guess I'll have to hack around and see what alternatives I can find.

Bill