what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

jim stockford

     My current system is pretty old. It's running
on a five-year old desktop Zareason computer.
     I'll replace the hard drive and want to install
a new distro. What's your recommendation?
with thanks,
jim
Mac

Re: what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

Mac
Well, there are a lot of opinions...but I've been using Ubuntu Studio for years.

19.04 has introduced new versions of Ubuntu Studio Controls that help manage the pulse, jack, etc. menagerie . (And this has also improved with 19.10)

As always, this is IMHO and YMMV. 😎🤔

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

     My current system is pretty old. It's running
on a five-year old desktop Zareason computer.
     I'll replace the hard drive and want to install
a new distro. What's your recommendation?
with thanks,
jim

Re: what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

Niklas Reppel
> Well, there are a lot of opinions ...

That is quite an understatement I'd say :D

Anyway, Ubuntu Studio is probably a very good "batteries included" choice to get started.

And then, as always with Linux, it depends a bit on how much effort you
want to put into your system.

Arch has some good documentation on how to optimize your system for Pro Audio Applications, and a package group
with the "relevant" applications (including Ardour), but you still need to do the optimization yourself.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio

That being said, Arch has been working really well for me for the last years. No complaints.

And if you've got a lot of time on your hands and some Linux experience (or, even more time
and you want to gain the experience): https://gentoo-audio.github.io/audio-overlay/

Mac

Re: what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

Mac
Agreed. One other good "batteries included" option is bandshed's avlinux.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 4:12 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, there are a lot of opinions ...

That is quite an understatement I'd say :D

Anyway, Ubuntu Studio is probably a very good "batteries included" choice to get started.

And then, as always with Linux, it depends a bit on how much effort you
want to put into your system.

Arch has some good documentation on how to optimize your system for Pro Audio Applications, and a package group
with the "relevant" applications (including Ardour), but you still need to do the optimization yourself.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio

That being said, Arch has been working really well for me for the last years. No complaints.

And if you've got a lot of time on your hands and some Linux experience (or, even more time
and you want to gain the experience): https://gentoo-audio.github.io/audio-overlay/

Mac wrote on 16.10.2019 23:44 (GMT +02:00):

> Well, there are a lot of opinions...but I've been using Ubuntu Studio for
> years.
>

> 19.04 has introduced new versions of Ubuntu Studio Controls that help
> manage the pulse, jack, etc. menagerie . (And this has also improved with
> 19.10)
>

> As always, this is IMHO and YMMV. 😎🤔
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM jim <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:
>

>> My current system is pretty old. It's running
>> on a five-year old desktop Zareason computer.
>> I'll replace the hard drive and want to install
>> a new distro. What's your recommendation?
>> with thanks,
>> jim

Re: what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

al3xu5 / dotcommon
Il giorno mercoledì 16/10/2019 13:40:04 -0700
jim <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>      My current system is pretty old. It's running
> on a five-year old desktop Zareason computer.
>      I'll replace the hard drive and want to install
> a new distro. What's your recommendation?
> with thanks,
> jim

My DAW has Devuan 2 (https://devuan.org/) 64bit with a real-time kernel and
real-time audio optimization, and it works really fine.

If you need stability, real-time audio, strong user control over the system, I
I strongly recommend you to avoid any ubuntu-based and/or systemd-based
and/or gnome|kde-distro.

I suggest Devuan or a Devuan 64bit based distro, with a light DE (openbox etc.).

Regards

--
al3xu5

Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.

Re: what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

Dominique Michel-3
Le Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:40:04 -0700,
jim <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>      My current system is pretty old. It's running
> on a five-year old desktop Zareason computer.
>      I'll replace the hard drive and want to install
> a new distro. What's your recommendation?
> with thanks,
> jim

You can use any distribution that provide ardour.

With an old computer, I would definitely use a distribution that
provide the rt-sources with the cgroup functions disabled. It have the
advantages of being much simpler, and simpler to manage, than a
systemd/cgroup realtime audio based setup, and to not include that
paranoid crap wanted by big corporations.

Also, I would compile my own kernel from the distribution's kernel and
change its processor config to correspond to the processor of the
machine. This alone will give you a speed boost of around 10%.
You must install the kernel sources corresponding to your kernel, along
with its .config file. When done, run

make oldconfig
make menu config

In it got to "Processor type an features" ---> "Processor family" and
change it for the best optimisation for your hardware.
Save the config, exit, compile and install the kernel by following
the procedure of your distribution. It's intimidating the first time,
but in fact quite easy.

Dominique

If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.