win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

Atte André Jensen
Hi

I have an arturia beatstep pro, that unfortunately needs a win/mac-only sofrware, midi control center (mcc for short) for a USB midi connection to upgrade firmware, even change settings and save projects. Previously I ran win7 in virtualbox, but today I tried running mcc through wine, and it worked. Almost.

It doesn't recognize the beatstep pro. In windows it works like this: If the beatstep pro is connected (USB) while the mcc is running, the beatstep pro boots in a special "update" mode ("upd" in display) resulting in it getting a different device name, which I suspect is what mcc is looking for.

The beatstep pro can be forced to boot in update-mode by pressing, record+play+stop while powering on, which changes the name:

normal mode:
atte@pandrup:~$ aconnect -io| grep BeatStep
client 20: 'Arturia BeatStep Pro' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'Arturia BeatStep Pro MIDI 1'
    1 'Arturia BeatStep Pro MIDI 2'

update mode (as is the rest of the output):
atte@pandrup:~$ aconnect -io| grep BeatStep
client 20: 'BeatStepPro Updater' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'BeatStepPro Updater MIDI 1'

atte@pandrup:~$ ll -t /dev/ | head
total 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root tty       5,   2 Sep  1 22:57 ptmx
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root        3.3K Sep  1 22:56 char
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,  25 Sep  1 22:56 dmmidi1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,  18 Sep  1 22:56 midi1
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root         320 Sep  1 22:56 snd
crw-rw----  1 root tty       7,   7 Sep  1 22:50 vcs7
crw-rw----  1 root tty       7, 135 Sep  1 22:50 vcsa7
crw-------  1 root root    244,   1 Sep  1 22:50 drm_dp_aux1
crw-------  1 root root    244,   0 Sep  1 22:50 drm_dp_aux0

The devices char, mmidi1, midi1 and snd appears at the same time as the beatstep pro is plugged in, so I guess either dmmidi1 and midi1 are the ones to target.

atte@pandrup:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:b573 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1c7a:0570 LighTuning Technology Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0489:e09f Foxconn / Hon Hai
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1c75:0207

Obviously it's a lots guesswork, but I'd appreciate any input that might get me nearer a working solution. Can I change anything in wines configuration? Could anything else be done to make mcc in wine see the beatstep pro midi device?

Thanks in asvance...
--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://a773.dk

Re: win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

Atte André Jensen
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:05:30 +0200
Atte <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great, title should be "wine:", not "win:", arghhh, sorry...

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:05:30 +0200, Atte wrote:
>Previously I ran win7 in virtualbox

Hi,

I'm using Arturia software, an Oberheim SEM emulation and a
Minimoog emulation on an iPad 2, connected by ADAT and MIDI with my
Linux PC and by USB with my Linux PC to sync via iTunes, running in a
_vbox Oracle branded non-open source edition_ Windows 7 guest. In my
experiences _wine_ as well as the _vbox open source edition_ are never
ending building lots, since with each update you might have to fix
something or you just try to fix something, that is unfixable.

Unfortunately I can't help you with solving the issue, but in my
long-term experience _wine_ and _vbox open source edition_ are
sources of issues, while running the vbox non-open source edition with
a Windows 7 guest is worry-free. Since I run it from a SSD connected
by SATA 3, I got rid of performance issues, even while my Windows 7
guest is on qcow, which might perform slower than the vbox default vdi.
My PC's hardware has got less horsepower, Celeron G1840
dual-core, 2.80GHz, 8GiB RAM.

The only issue with vbox are updates by USB that will automatically
disconnect and try to automatically reconnect USB several times during
the update, because this requires to manually reconnect the USB device
by vbox's device menu. If this issue should be the reason you want to
drop vbox and migrate to wine, it might be worth to consider to migrate
to another VM.

You were warned, nevertheless, good luck if you still want to migrate
to wine.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

Atte André Jensen
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 10:49:39 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> a Windows 7 guest is worry-free

Ok, basically, you're saying it might be too great a hastle to get it working in wine, and I should rather do what I did before: virtualbox with "real" windows. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I suspect you're right...

Thanks for the input!

Atte

http://atte.dk   http://a773.dk

Re: win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

Ralf Mardorf
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 11:07:43 +0200, Atte wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> a Windows 7 guest is worry-free
>
>Ok, basically, you're saying it might be too great a hastle to get it
>working in wine, and I should rather do what I did before: virtualbox
>with "real" windows. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I suspect
>you're right...
>
>Thanks for the input!

Yes!

I tested wine several times with different software and used vbox
OSE with XP. When XP didn't work anymore for iTunes, I installed
Windows 7.

Wine is a PITA. The vbox OES release could work good when using a
release model distro, but also is a PITA when using a rolling release.
The easiest way to go, is using vbox non-OSE. Other VMs might have
advantages over vbox, but they aren't that easy to set up. Upstream of
wine seems to care about some apps, I suspect photoshop might run
without issues, but I tried to run e.g. the Korg nanocontrol software
as well as iTunes under wine and both failed, even while some versions
should work, there actually is no choice for e.g. iTunes, since the
iTunes version needs to fit to the connected device's iOS version.