youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

12

youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

SxDx
To whom it may concern...

That's what happens when you use crappy service
by crappy private company obsessed by crappy copyrights.

crap world

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

Louigi Verona
Hey Cedric!

Any other details, apart from the rant at Google and the world? :)

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Cedric Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:
To whom it may concern...

That's what happens when you use crappy service
by crappy private company obsessed by crappy copyrights.

crap world

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

SxDx
Oh my, I forgot the URL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1IzbVBSBZ4

On 05/21/2017 08:42 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:

> Hey Cedric!
>
> Any other details, apart from the rant at Google and the world? :)
>

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Cedric Roux <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     To whom it may concern...
>
>     That's what happens when you use crappy service
>     by crappy private company obsessed by crappy copyrights.
>
>     crap world

> Louigi Verona
> https://www.patreon.com/droning
> https://louigiverona.com/

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

SxDx
it's to inform people from LAC who may want to
act on it (contact youtube, put the videos somewhere
else)

On 05/21/2017 08:47 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:

> Is this an actual complaint?
>
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Cedric Roux <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Oh my, I forgot the URL:
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1IzbVBSBZ4
>     <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1IzbVBSBZ4>
>
>     On 05/21/2017 08:42 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
>
>         Hey Cedric!
>
>         Any other details, apart from the rant at Google and the world? :)
>

>         On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Cedric Roux <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>             To whom it may concern...
>
>             That's what happens when you use crappy service
>             by crappy private company obsessed by crappy copyrights.
>
>             crap world
>

>         --
>         Louigi Verona
>         https://www.patreon.com/droning <https://www.patreon.com/droning>
>         https://louigiverona.com/
>

> --
> Louigi Verona
> https://www.patreon.com/droning
> https://louigiverona.com/

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

Louigi Verona
"This video contains content from INA - Institut National de l'Audiovisuel, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

So I believe this was a complaint.

Which is interesting. You started the thread by blaming a "crappy company", but it turns out the complaint was filed by a National Institute. But Google gets the blame :)

While in IRC, I actually heard someone mentioned copyrighted material in the stream.

It is a pity that they did not contact LAC organizers to resolve the matter and just used YouTube tools for that. But then each one of us would feel differently when it is their content being used without permission.

I do hope this matter gets resolved.

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Hermann Meyer
However, I never seen LAC videos so fast online, my compliments to the
organisation team.

IOhannes m zmoelnig
On 2017-05-21 20:50, Louigi Verona wrote:
> No, I mean there seems to be an owner of the content (an Institute) that is
> claiming copyright. But I am not sure how this works. YT will have specific
> phrases for specific block reasons.

i don't think so.
usually youtube does not act on specific claims by the copyright
holders, but rather proactively searches for potential copyright
violations (via "Content ID") and blocks the content until any issues
are sorted out.

i've had videos of 14 year old pianists playing beethoven being blocked,
because ContentID thought that that was actually a recording by Yehudi
Menuhin. (sometimes they *are* right though)

fgasmdr
IOhannes

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

Louigi Verona
YouTube does act on specific right holders complaints. I know this as a fact. You can go to any video and complain. Many YT vbloggers, including quite prominent ones, complain.

Explanation from the Nostalgia Critic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFAMOtwaI

On 2017-05-22 11:32, Louigi Verona wrote:
> YouTube does act on specific right holders complaints. I know this as a
> fact. You can go to any video and complain. Many YT vbloggers, including
> quite prominent ones, complain.

i was not doubting that they do. sorry if you perceived it like that.

i was doubting that in this specific instance, 3 days after some obscure
conference put up a video of some random talk¹, any real copyright
holder would have actually filed a copyright complaint (or even taken
notice of the upload).

most likely the "Institut National de l'Audiovisuel" has previously
filed a generic "protect my content" request with youtube.
and most likely thierry used material in his keynote that can *also* be
found in the INA archives (note: i don't know whether it as actually
thierry's talk that triggered the block; i just think that it is rather
likely that this is the case).

i'm CCing laurent and thierry, so they can sort out whether there
actually are any copyright violations before they reject the coypright
claims.

fgmsdr
IOhannes

¹ no insults intended, this is just to put things into relations as
perceived outside our peer group. cf mclaren vs toyota.

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

Thomas Cipierre
Dear LAC2017,

I’m part of the LAC2017 committee, and was nearly all the time involved in the IRC #LAC2017 freenode channel as tcUJM (except one chairing session).

For those who were there, I already replied that there was actually a real copyright problem, since Thierry indeed used copyrighted material during his talk. However, he has the right to do so, having all the documents needed on INA (standing for Institut National de l’Audiovisuel – which could be translated to Audiovisual National Institute) material, so we are currently solving this problem.

Philippe, our LAC streaming technician is working onto this – but he needs some more time to edit videos, since he is needed on a lot of other projects in our university.

We are sorry for the temporary side-effect on Harry’s brilliant talk.

Thanks to all of you, I was thrilled being involved in this LAC and meeting several of you. I definitely look forward to seeing you again on forums, mailing lists and in future projects.

All the best,

Thomas CIPIERRE
Phd. Student at Jean Monnet University (Saint-Étienne)

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

Harry van Haaren
On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Thomas Cipierre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear LAC2017,

I’m part of the LAC2017 committee, and was nearly all the time involved in the IRC #LAC2017 freenode channel as tcUJM (except one chairing session).

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for taking excellent care of #IRC during the LAC, I'm sure it made people remotely attending feel welcomed!

For those who were there, I already replied that there was actually a real copyright problem, since Thierry indeed used copyrighted material during his talk. However, he has the right to do so, having all the documents needed on INA (standing for Institut National de l’Audiovisuel – which could be translated to Audiovisual National Institute) material, so we are currently solving this problem.

Philippe, our LAC streaming technician is working onto this – but he needs some more time to edit videos, since he is needed on a lot of other projects in our university.

We are sorry for the temporary side-effect on Harry’s brilliant talk.

No problem at all - I understand this may take some time to resolve.

Thanks to all of you, I was thrilled being involved in this LAC and meeting several of you. I definitely look forward to seeing you again on forums, mailing lists and in future projects.

Unfortunately we didn't get talking - next LAC perhaps? :D

Cheers, -Harry

Re: youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

Thomas Cipierre
Hey Lougi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, that’s much appreciated!
You also deserve a great high five for being the guy who kept #lac2017 alive thursday morning! And on course for your participation throughout the whole LAC!

All the best and see you soon,

[...]

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your feedback – it was a real pleasure working on this LAC, meet your amazing and sharing community, and have a glimpse at so many interesting projects runned by skilled people.

Unfortunately we didn't get talking - next LAC perhaps? :D

Sure! But let me throw a big hot potato here : Where is it going to be actually? ;)

All the best,

[...]

Albert Graef-2
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Thomas Cipierre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure! But let me throw a big hot potato here : Where is it going to be actually? ;)

I guess that we'll have a discussion about that on lac-team real soon. :)

Thomas, my congrats to you and Phillippe again, you did an amazing job! I'm sure that the copyright issues can be sorted out and then there's also the possibility to upload the videos to lac.linuxaudio.org once they're edited and transcoded. Take the time you need, I know that you have many other duties.

To Cedric and all others, I understand that you're eager to get your hands on the content, but please give the guys a break. LAC is a volunteer effort, it's a *lot* of work to prepare and conduct, and nobody earns any money from it because it's all free. The CIEREC at JMU did a truly amazing job organizing this year's edition, everything was sailing smoothly, and you don't really notice how much work that is until you've done it yourself. ;-)

Best,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  [hidden email]

On 05/23/2017 01:40 PM, Albert Graef wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Thomas Cipierre
>
>     Sure! But let me throw a big hot potato here : Where is it going to
>     be actually? ;)
>

> I guess that we'll have a discussion about that on lac-team real soon. :)
>
> Thomas, my congrats to you and Phillippe again, you did an amazing job!
> I'm sure that the copyright issues can be sorted out and then there's
> also the possibility to upload the videos to lac.linuxaudio.org
> <http://lac.linuxaudio.org> once they're edited and transcoded. Take the
> time you need, I know that you have many other duties.
>
> To Cedric and all others, I understand that you're eager to get your
> hands on the content, but please give the guys a break. LAC is a
> volunteer effort, it's a *lot* of work to prepare and conduct, and
> nobody earns any money from it because it's all free. The CIEREC at JMU
> did a truly amazing job organizing this year's edition, everything was
> sailing smoothly, and you don't really notice how much work that is
> until you've done it yourself. ;-)

Sure Albert, it's all fine.
I respect the work of everyone involved in LAC over all those years.
It was just informative, shaped as I felt to shape
it at the time I saw it.